RON: Lunchrime Of The Damned Review

Started by Frodo, Wed 26/08/2009 01:21:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Frodo

Hey there   :)

I just wrote a review for Lunchtime Of The Damned for my new website, and thought I would share it with you.  Hope that's okay.   ;)

You can read it here if you want -
Any comments are more than welcome.   :=

This is the first RON game, and therefore, essential to RON history.   ;D

Kind regards

Frodo  :)

Brentimous

First you're a freeware loving hobbit; now you're a review-writing ferryman? Sounds like a RON character just waiting to be made.

As for comments regarding the review: nice review is nice. I've never written an official review for anything, so I feel it's my God-given duty to tell you how to improve. If I could offer any criticism, it'd be to go deeper into detail about the game itself. Tell me how the puzzles stack up. Is the dialogue highly amusing to the intellectually secure, or is this strictly lowbrow material? Just flesh it out, the more flesh the better. Especially when zombies are involved.

RI or someone will likely be linking the review to the official RON site under the Non-Fiction section. Do you plan on writing anymore reviews related to RON, or is this strictly a one night affair?

DeviantGent

Always good to see RON games getting critique'd, so this is a cause I am firmly behind.

In regards to the meat of your review, I would concur with Brent. If you are wanting to carry on and cast your eye over some of the others, all I can suggest is really going to town on what you thought - how do the graphics and stories hold up? Were there some characters you thought worked well and some less so, and why? How much do you think it contributes to the whole RON concept as a whole, and how much do you think it deserves to ie what elements should be made aware of by aspiring RON gamemakers looking for possible story threads to pick up and develop? Never be afraid to really pick apart a game and expose flaws where necessary - any AGS gamemaker worth their salt will be looking for ways they can improve so their next project will be better, and chaps like yourself are an invaluable means for them to do so.

tl;dr - good job, hope to see more of this sort of thing.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Frodo

A ferryman hobbit would make an excellent RON character.   ;D

Thanks for the feedback, Brent & DC.   ;)  I've written many reviews for Reloaded.org, but I wanted to keep The Ferryman reviews short & simple on purpose.  However, maybe I should go back to writing longer reviews, hehe.  I'll see what I can do to expand it.   :)

And Brent, I'll be looking out for that new RON character now.   :P

EDIT
And yeah, I'll probably be reviewing more RON games in the future   :=
DC, I'm a chapess   :P

DeviantGent

My bad :D

But yes, looking forward to seeing an expanded review. And the prospect of more RON reviews in the future makes me a happy DC.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

DeviantGent

Nicely done, that gal. I propose it to be added to the non-fiction section of the site. Once someone takes over the running of the website, that is.  ;D
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Frodo

Hey DC   ;)

Great to see my review mentioned in Non Fiction area of the site.   :D

Glad you like the review.  Would you care to make comment on my website?  (hint hint)   :=

Frodo

Renegade Implementor

QuoteGreat to see my review mentioned in Non Fiction area of the site.

Yes, it's mentioned in the "Latest News" column and everything. :)

Frodo

Thanks Renegade.  That's brilliant.   :)

Ponch

Are you planning to review the other early RON games as well? Some of those games are so old (freeware years are measured in dog years, I think), that a lot of new people have probably never heard of them. A few reviews might help raise the profile of RON, now that it seems ready to shamble from the grave again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk