MAGS September(Winner Announced) Topic: Only One

Started by Dualnames, Tue 01/09/2009 08:22:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Only One

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner Tijne:

There is only one rule for this month:
-There must exist -something- in your game that is 'The Only One' of its kind.

It can be an object, a species, or anything else you come up with, so long as it's "one of a kind".
The game should (but doesn't have to) revolve around this 'one of a kind' thing (or find it useful in multiple ways).
There may be several different "one of a kind" things.

Have fun! ^_^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winner:

Helme!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Helme

Reminds of a Monty Python scene  ;D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfzm9dfqBw&feature

Let's see if i'll get an idea for an entry.

Crimson Wizard

I decided to try... Maybe if I make myself concentrate on a really short story to be done in 25 days, I would finally release a game. That alone would be a prize for me, ha-ha ::)

DrWhite

Nice Topic... I´ve already got an idea. So if everything goes fine, I´m in.

Stee

Sweet I've got an idea. Hopefully I actually manage to make something.
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Crimson Wizard

WARNING: This is not a competition entry, but merely a joke

Sorry, just couldn't resist the temptation :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?wha1mtdmune
If competition host will insist, I'll remove this link

IndieBoy

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Dualnames

It's fine by me. I'm wondering by the way, why did the moderators locked the last thread in which we said it would be best to leave it open so people can comment away?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Gilbert

Yeah. I locked it.

Note that I usually won't [have time and interest to] read through a thread to determine whether it should be locked (and there didn't seem to be obvious hints in that last MAGS thread about this either :P). I usually lock a thread based on the following conditions:
1) if the winner has replied, i.e. he/she is aware of the result; or
2) the winner has started a new thread for the next round already.
Sometimes I'll give it 1 or 2 days more for others to comment or give their praises but sometimes I don't.
(Note that sometimes other mods might have locked a thread immediately after an activity has ended. This is actually not very good as the winner may not know that. Furthermore, locked threads are pushed towards the bottom of the list which makes them even less noticeable. In these cases I'll unlock such threads provided I notice them.)

So, if for some reasons you want to keep a thread open for a bit longer just send a PM to me and it would be unlocked.

I have now unlocked the last MAGS thread for you.

Dualnames

Quote from: Gilbet V7000a on Wed 02/09/2009 07:55:39
Yeah. I locked it.

Note that I usually won't [have time and interest to] read through a thread to determine whether it should be locked (and there didn't seem to be obvious hints in that last MAGS thread about this either :P). I usually lock a thread based on the following conditions:
1) if the winner has replied, i.e. he/she is aware of the result; or
2) the winner has started a new thread for the next round already.
Sometimes I'll give it 1 or 2 days more for others to comment or give their praises but sometimes I don't.
(Note that sometimes other mods might have locked a thread immediately after an activity has ended. This is actually not very good as the winner may not know that. Furthermore, locked threads are pushed towards the bottom of the list which makes them even less noticeable. In these cases I'll unlock such threads provided I notice them.)

So, if for some reasons you want to keep a thread open for a bit longer just send a PM to me and it would be unlocked.

I have now unlocked the last MAGS thread for you.

I feel I do have offended you Gilbet, but it wasn't my point. Therefore I apologize and I do thank you for unlocking it. And I know you moderator guys can't really keep track of everything.

Tijne

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 01/09/2009 22:36:24
WARNING: This is not a competition entry, but merely a joke

Sorry, just couldn't resist the temptation :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?wha1mtdmune
If competition host will insist, I'll remove this link

That was hilarious, Crimson. ;D

qptain Nemo

Yeah, CrimsonWizard's joke game was hilarious indeed :D

Helme

Tijne

I highly doubt I'll be able to participate this month... :x  I've found no time, and it's not looking like that situation is about to change. @_@

But hey, who knows.

Dualnames

Ah, damn, I hope you can make it, it was fun and you almost would have broken the record of 2 consecutive mags. You won once, lost by one vote, and won again.

Leon

Sorry to correct you Dual, Wretched had three consecutive wins in October, November and December 2005
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Dualnames

Crimson Wizard

That's kind of embarassing, but same here, I started making a game almost from the moment comp. was announced, but then a lot of tiresome events took place and I was totally driven of schedule... plus, perhaps I underestimated time needed to put in all I want.
I like my idea and I want to see the game finished, it's just I highly doubt I will make it in time. If I won't I'll probably release it simply as "Short game". :)
Anyway it is good I tried, because that MAGS concept gave me some nice idea and inspiration.  :D

Crimson Wizard

Hmm... there's a chance I have a backup plan. I want to try it, let's see if I can make a game in 5 days, heh.
By the way, when exactly the deadline is? is it 00:00 between 24th and 25th ,or 23:59 25th, or else? ;)

Tijne

Oddly enough, Crimson's and my situations are similar.  I may be able to pull something out, though it won't be as I envisioned earlier this month.

I would also like to know a more detailed deadline; for all the other MAGS I've been slightly confused, especially with the differences in time zones. xD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk