Agitprop: The Game

Started by strangechicken, Tue 01/09/2009 12:06:37

Previous topic - Next topic

strangechicken

This short (one room) game was made as part of my university project i wrote on Agitprop the premise is as follows:

You (A.P.) have just woken up locked in a room, a prison your oppressors put you in, your goal, with your knowledge of Agitational Propaganda theatre, is to escape the room by unlocking the key put in a glass case to mock you, these people have taken your voice, you must regain your voice, take the key, and escape this oppressive room into freedom.

(Note that it is consided by the author to be somewhat vital to read the manual to further understand agitprop theatre and to finish this little game).

A screenshot  or two you say? well its right here sir/madam/ungendered-person-that-you-are

it was put together in about two days... and recorded all the voices while having the flu (oh what fun it was and still is)...

So anyway, my friends (although according to my mother you're just on the internet and not real), I hope you enjoy this basic yet educational game... and if you don't... i'll cry a fountain of tears (not really... just getting your hopes up, I'll probably just say meh whatever and move on).

you can download it here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1199

Strangechicken.

Matti

Just a little note: Use .png instead of .jpg. Jpgs have these ugly artefacts and make the pictures blurry.

strangechicken

Thanks mate, i'll keep that in mind and reupload the images when i find the time to do so  :)

Strangechicken.

thecatamites

i want to make a bertolt brecht mario hack which is exactly like regular mario except all the sprites are labelled things like WORKERS and TOOLS OF THE BOURGEOISE. mario would be the bloated coin-obsessed upper class and yoshi would represent the proletariat. the 'enemy' koopas, who actually have more in common with yoshi than mario, show how capitalist culture breaks up the working class with arbitrary distinctions such as race and nationality in order to weaken them and stop them from uniting against their human oppressors. i am not sure how the apples yoshi eats fit into this analogy but i will work on it (possibly the gradualist gains in a corrupt system that serve only to placate the masses?? idk). bowser would represent trotskyism or something.

basically i will play this now

EDIT: welpI'm not sure what to say now. i liked the voices and music. the puzzle was very direct but i guess that ties into the agitprop thing too. the stuff with the manual felt cheap and kind of awkward from a gameplay pov but you said the game was made in 2 days so that explains it. i dunno though i was expecting to actually use the stuff about repitition and shoutiness to solve it instead of
Spoiler
answering a test
[close]
. maybe it was trying to make a point about the need to appreciate the history of this stuff before gains can be made??? congrats i am not sure how deep to go into this, i predict you willl have agreat future in academia. i did learn some stuff though and the agitprop pieces in the game were p interesting so good job man :)
Games 4 Schools Dot Com play games made for schools and teens to lkearn

strangechicken

Hey man

sounds like an interesting idea but then again,  I'm probably the wrong person to talk to about brecht... though theatre student I am... and although my fellow theatre students rail against... i just do not like old berties work... i find it dull... however... my favorite is the likes of Samuel Beckett... ooo stop before go on a rant about how I love his work and bore the whole world to death hence bringing the forth coming apocalypse...

Strangechicken.

strangechicken

(my little brecht rant continued)
but your idea seems to tie into brechts logic... so in that sense I like it... you seem to have done your research... some people think brecht is just about making shit strange and making crappy theatre... which is dead wrong... brecht as a person though... hmmm... he himself was a bougeois... he wrote these plays about little people against upperclass people... whilst being upperclass himself... the man is a walking contradiction... that being said as a theatre writer and theorist... i do respect the man and all his done for the 20th century theatre

Strangechicken.

strangechicken

god i just realised how boring i am when i go on rant... I apologise people of the AGS! ;D

thecatamites

i was just messing with you man i don't know much brecht outside of the early operas he did with kurt weill. i remember reading them and thinking hmm that wasn't too didactic and was actually pretty funny and then i glanced at one of his later works and it was all THE MOTHER SELLS WEAPONS WHILE HER CHILDREN DIE IN THE WAR and thinking oh yeah that's a little less subtle all right. the early stuff is really good though. also beckett rules. you should make a krapps last tape game where you dodge banana peels while trying to escape the crushing futility of existence~~

strangechicken

by the way, thanks for the feedback... i'm also glad you enjoyed the pieces of theatre... seeing as i kinda just through em together using sections of agitprop materials i had seen (as the game and manual points out:

Spoiler
most of agitprop material that was written remains unpublished so it is hard to get a hold of the real texts... the one whole text I managed to get a hold of was, was from my lecturer, and was called the 15 Minute Red Revue and was about the soviet union
[close]

Strangechicken.

strangechicken

My university is trying to make me go see the threepenny opera... i'm like no, i refuse to... they're like come see it, it'll be funny... i'm like screw that bougeois-hating-even-though-he-is-a-bougeois-fool, but he is a tad dull, i kinda skipped mother courage, when i had to read it... hows this for a video game concept... Beckett's waiting for godot: the game... a game where nothing happens... twice!

Strangechicken

thecatamites

you should definitely see the threepenny opera dude, it's more a kind of satire on opera than some humourless indiction of the middle-class or whatever and really is quite funny. also the music for it is excellent and it's worth going for that alone

Matti

@ strangechicken: You can modify your posts, you know? 3 posts in a row within 19 minutes must be some sort of record.

@ both: You can PM yourself and there's also a "general discussion" forum.

Don't wanna sound like a moderator, just giving some advice..  ;)

strangechicken

I'll take your word for it... i may go see it... but as it currently stands... most of my money lately has gone on adventure games and wii games and dvd's... ah uni life...

strangechicken.

strangechicken

Thanks for the advice, i shall take it... and keep it... probably sell it at a pawn shop to buy booze... but do you really think the guiness book will look at me for their records... it would be a great honor i must say!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk