Jimmy's Day

Started by lsb, Wed 09/09/2009 07:49:04

Previous topic - Next topic

lsb

Hello all,

I want to present you guys the first game i've completed with AGS. It took me a heck of a lot longer to make than I thought it would. I didn't realize making a game would be so time-consuming XD

Anyways, my game is called Jimmy's Day. It's about a guy named Jimmy who, shortly after coming back from a mundane day at work, finds out about a special screening of a movie he's been dying to see at his local theater that will also have the director appearing. However, the road to get there isn't as easy as he thought it'd be.

updated link

Hopefully you guys like it and don't find it too boring. feedback is appreciated! :D

i didn't put any sound or music in it, but I'm going to work on learning how to implement those in whenever I start my next game.

screens:

shayavr

Hi
Nice game!  ;D ;D ;D
playing it right now!!

just make sure you put it on the games page  ;)
the dude abides

Helme

Please increase the walking speed. The walk cycle looks kind of cool, but in my opinion he walks much too slow.

Another thing that bothered me: It seems like item combinations do not work vice versa.

Apart from that it seems like a good first game.

lsb

Quote from: shayavr on Wed 09/09/2009 12:16:58
Hi
Nice game!  ;D ;D ;D
playing it right now!!

just make sure you put it on the games page  ;)

yeah i probably will. I just wanted to get some feedback from the users here first to see if it was worthy of being submitted into the database.

plus i'm still deciding what catagory it would go under: short or medium-length. It sure felt longer than a short game when I made it, but when i played through it it didn't seem too long.

Helme: I can see how the walking speed would seem slow. thanks for your input :)
as for the item combinations, i think i might've left out it working vice-versa for one of them but made it work both ways for a later one. for the one i believe you're referring to, I made it work only one way because I had it in my mindset of using the first one specifically on the second item, and it felt like it made more sense one way than the other, if that reasoning makes sense. >_>

Intense Degree

Quote from: lsb on Thu 10/09/2009 02:54:07
yeah i probably will. I just wanted to get some feedback from the users here first to see if it was worthy of being submitted into the database.

Definitely! Even I have a game on there(!) and there's much worse than yours I can assure you. :=

Zargblast

Looks fine, but you might want to do something about the possibility of repeatedly using the laxatives by preventing their use until actually Jimmy needs to get rid of a certain character.

Paoul

I don't know how to post spoiler text so Im sorry if i ruin anything for anybody.

But after I put the *blank* in the *blank* in the *blank*, and then leave the *blank*, an error code comes up about the chefs speechview is invalid.

I hope that makes sense haha.

But yes, love the game I just cant seem to progress further because of this.

lsb

really? that sounds weird. i've had friends play through the whole game without it crashing and i just got through that part without any problem as well. does this happen everytime for you?

is anyone else having this problem?

Leon

I'm not having that problem .... yet.
What I do have is that I ....
Spoiler
... use the bums clothes with the soup and get a message about the cat hair. I can repeat that because you keep the clothes...
[close]

Nice game. Nothing spectacular, fairly simple puzzles and dialogs. The animation of the grapple hook was very nice. A good start.

Some other remarks:

- If you can't walk in a direction, hang up signs. It's quite annoying to see that you have to walk the other way or 'it's not that direction'. Use signs on the wall or something.
- Talking to the guard outside the cinema, the first option is confusing: you say to the guard: "You don't need me to show you a ticket...?" Then the guard replies "Yes I do..". I guess you meant to say: "I don't need to show you a ticket" with the guard replying: "Yes you do...". ?
- Another textual thingie: "I unscrewed the panel off." It's either "I unscrewed the screws." or "I took the panel off."
- When doors are automatic, say so. Using doors that don't open are quite confusing if they work when you walk up to them.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

lsb

whoa, i didn't notice the thing with the clothes and the soup. that's weird..

and the guard dialog was supposed to be Jimmy trying to do a jedi mind trick on the guard, saying how he didn't need to check Jimmy for a ticket, and the guard doesn't fall for it.

edit: fixed the problem with the soup and clothes. it was a dumb mistake. i forgot to make an "if" statement for the function of using inventory items on the pot, so any item could've been used on it. >_<

anyways, here it is. http://lightsaberboy.noobcore.net/Jimmy_v2.zip

i'm going to update the entry i have in the game page with this one too. thanks for finding that!

Zargblast

The game crashed for me in exactly the same place as for paoul.

Paoul

can someone please tell me how to talk about spoilers. I feel stupid talking like i just did with blanks.

Matti

The spoiler tags are [hide ] [/hide ] (without the spaces)

Just follow the link called "How do I post images, smileys and formatting" to see all the tags available..

tzachs

Actually, the hide tag is missing from the "how do I post images" link (unless I'm blind, which is, of course, a possibility)...

Gilbert

Right. It's missing, because as long as I remember it's not an integrated feature of the forum software (the instructions in the "How do you post images" part were the original help page). This feature was later hacked into our forums.

One way to see how other people do this is to try to quote others' posts (without you actually posting) and read how the tags are placed.

Anyway, back to topic. The graphics in this game looks certainly good for a 1st time effort. I'll try it when I have time. :)

lsb

thanks about the art. Yeah, I found out how long and tedious making backgrounds and spirtes for a game can be, especially when you're doing it all by mouse XD

as for the crashing at that spot, I keep going over that part but it never happens for me. it doesn't seem to happen for everyone either, so I have no idea.  :-X

also, what does that steaming blue cup next to my topic title mean exactly?

Gimble630

I canot recharge the nbattery. I have it but  will not work with cgarger.  I like this game.
Thanks Bob

Leon

You don't use the charger....

Spoiler
You just swap it with the one on the machine...
[close]
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Matti

Quote from: tzachs on Sat 12/09/2009 20:26:57
Actually, the hide tag is missing from the "how do I post images" link (unless I'm blind, which is, of course, a possibility)...

Ah, true! Must have made via quoting like Gilbet suggested..

On-topic:

Haven't finished it yet but it's not bad for a first game. Despite the graphics being rather rough (with wobbly lines/walkcycle etc), I like some animations, like the main character's talking view and the roommate's project moving..

Also, I can relate to the main character since I'm sleeping on a mattress too  ;)

sthomannch

Hi lsb! Nice beginning. But the game crashes
Spoiler

after I put the hair in the soup and leave the kitchen.
[close]
I have downloaded Jimmy_v2.zip today

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk