TEMPLATE: 9-verb MI-style 1.6.4 - Last update: 4th April 2019

Started by abstauber, Thu 17/09/2009 16:16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Fnord

I'm loving this Template, and I really appreciate that you took the time to upgrade it to the newer AGS versions.

But, I have a question.

I kinda got lost with the code, and I couldn't find about this on the documentation PDF so I'll just ask.

Is there a way to force the Use verb to work as "Use xxx with" instead of just using the object for certain objects?
And also the other way around (forcing a left click to just directly use the object instead of "use with"?)

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to updating it.

abstauber

Great that you find it useful :)

I hope I get you right:

In order to disable "use with" or in other words force use, you have to add the use extension to item's description. If you look at the item iEnvClose from the test room, you can see it there.

In order to enable "use with" you simply remove the extension, like in the item iKey.
This way you still have the "use" verb active. So single click on the item directly brings you to "use with" and using the verb directly uses the item. Although I can' really suggest this, as nobody would expect that click the verb does something different than simply clicking the item.

Now if you want to force use with you have to get rid of the extension and clear the function from the event "Interact inventory item".
That way, it's always "use with". No matter if you directly click or use the verb.

I hope that helps.

-----edit:
I've updated the manual and fixed a few bugs. Please enjoy v.1.2.1 :)

Fnord

Thanks a lot.

I actually like it better the way it's set by default, (clicking on the item for use with and clicking on the use button to just use the item,) but I want my actual project to be more straight forward on wether the item can be combined or not.

cianty

First off I'd like to thank you for providing this excellent template! I have started working on my own game a few days ago and I am addiceted since. And this template is just perfect!

However, I now have one problem and I figured it would be best to post it in this thread.

I have created a new Character and a new View for it. Everything works fine except for one thing: Now when I click on "Pick Up" the mouse cursor becomes Loop 0 of the new View. It only happens when clicking "Pick Up" and the cursor goes back to normal when I am in another mode (e.g. go to).

The new View is "7: VRAT" and I don't think I touched "6: Cursor". How come the Pick Up option and my View 7 are connected?

Any help would be much appreciated!
ca. 70% completed

abstauber

Are you sure you haven't mixed up cursor modes and views?

I tried to reproduce this, but I even didn't manage to get a view 7 ;) The first view I try to create in a blank template gets no. 17.

The cursor mode 7 is used for the wait cursor and contains a blank sprite. Every time a blocking event is triggered, the mouse cursor switches to "wait". After the event is over, the mode gets changed back.

Or could it be that the sprite slots have changed in guiscript.asc? (line 14 and 15).

You can also send me your game so I can take a look at it.

cianty

Argh! :)

Thanks for your help! I just found out what was the problem: The Mouse Cursor for "Pick Up" was using View 7 while all other cursors use View 6 (the correct one).

The problem is indeed in the template. There are six Views included in the template but the Pick Up Cursor Mode refers to View 7 (which doesn't exist). So the Pick Up cursor will automatically become the first new View the user creates (because that one will be View 7). You have to change the 7 to 6 in the Pick Up mode of the template.

I'm glad this is corrected now, plus I finally had a look at the cursor modes. :)
ca. 70% completed

cianty

So, anyone else using this template? I am really happy with it. :)
Has the view been fixed as I posted above?

What I didn't like, though, was the black background during dialogs. I didn't find it fitting the rest of the interface. So I made this background instead (based on the gui style):

Here's a screenshot of it in action (yay, that's my current game):

ca. 70% completed

abstauber

Quote from: cianty on Fri 17/09/2010 08:57:51
So, anyone else using this template? I am really happy with it. :)
Has the view been fixed as I posted above?

Well, I still don't see a problem. In my template all cursors utilise view 100, including the pickup cursor. Also creating a new game from the template doesn't break the view numbers.

What I didn't like, though, was the black background during dialogs. I didn't find it fitting the rest of the interface. So I made this background instead
Nice! The only thing bugging me is the outer frame (at least right / left / bottom). But it really looks better that way. I shall include it :)

yay, that's my current game
Yay :D

cianty

I just test-created a new game in AGS (3.2) and the views used are indeed different ones (View 100). In the version I used the cursors modes used View 6/7. So just forget what I said....  ::)

Dialog gui: The bottom border is like the normal GUI - the problem is the top, though: You'll notice the outer border missing there. That is because I don't know how to move the text options down a few pixels (3 or so). I guess anyone more adept could fix that so an improved background image could be used, with intact top border. I also had to adjust the left alignment by 3 pixels so that the numbers would be inside the boxes and not on the left borders (what I did was use a fully transparent image with width 3px as bullet icons. Again, this is more of a workaround than anything sophisticated).
ca. 70% completed

Armageddon

Could you make a download just for the gui and the functions? No Bman or rooms or anything, just the 9-verb panel? I'm trying to remove everything but the basic controls and it keeps giving me errors, and I'm not much of a coder... :-[

abstauber

@Armageddon
Whoops, sorry. I somehow forgot to reply.

Do you (and possibly others) still need a completely blank template?
And as a word of advice: I've you're completely new with AGS, you might want to start with the common Sierra style GUI first.

cianty

I am new to AGS, I do use this template and I am thankful that it was not empty. I can see how some people may wish there was less in there... maybe strip it down to one room and put things like player.ChangeRoom in comments? If I had to choose between the availability of either an empty tempalte or one with two rooms and the characters I'll definately pick the latter.
ca. 70% completed

abstauber

Well, the first version only had one room. But then I've added the exit hotspot feature, so I needed a second room to show it.

I'm glad that my concept of two demo/tutorial/showcase rooms works out :)
But I can understand that it's annoying to remove Roger and Beman everytime you starts over a new game. Another option would be to provide an empty game template as well - which would not compile and therefore scare off potential users.

Hmm.. at least I'm used to remove Roger from the standard and the scumm template :) I even thought about adding ProgZ' awesome revisited Roger sprites.

cianty

Quote from: abstauber on Tue 28/09/2010 11:40:19I even thought about adding ProgZ' awesome revisited Roger sprites.

Where can they be found? Currently I base all my characters on the Roger from the template (and then on the new sprites etc).
ca. 70% completed

abstauber

Quote from: cianty on Tue 28/09/2010 15:18:44
Quote from: abstauber on Tue 28/09/2010 11:40:19I even thought about adding ProgZ' awesome revisited Roger sprites.

Where can they be found? Currently I base all my characters on the Roger from the template (and then on the new sprites etc).

Why, seriously?!
This can be helped :) All awesomeness is stored here:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=27959.0

Gilbert

cianty

Nooooo! They're beautiful!
But it's too late... I already based a couple of animations on the original CJ sprites. But that's something for the sequel...
ca. 70% completed

Dualnames

Abstauber what a great find. :D Roger never looked so cool. ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

abstauber

Hehe, maybe we should move the upcoming Roger discussion to a new thread. I can  almost hear the keychain moving over from the "Games In Progress" board :D

poplamanopla

Hi, I'm noob spanish guy.

I'm using this wonderfull template to create my first adventure game but I miss the default accion from the left button of mouse when is clicked.

I mean to accion "Go to" when put mouse over an object.

In LucasArt games with SCUMM GUI like Monkey Island, Sam & Max or Indianda Jones and the fate of atlantis when any verb are not selected and mouse is over an object the default accion is "Go to".

So if I click on the left button the character goes to object.

This not happen in template.  :'(

If the mouse it's over an object when clicking left mouse button do nothing.

Anybody can help me to fix this?

(I hope what understand me. My english isn't too good)

Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk