TEMPLATE: 9-verb MI-style 1.6.4 - Last update: 4th April 2019

Started by abstauber, Thu 17/09/2009 16:16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

LogicPort

Sure, if you look at the downloads page here:
http://www.adventurecreator.org/downloads
you will see the nine verbs unitypackage. unfortunately the doc that comes with it is very vague so I thought I would ask
here, i've also emailed the owner etc.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: LogicPort on Fri 19/02/2016 17:23:30
Sure, if you look at the downloads page here:
http://www.adventurecreator.org/downloads
you will see the nine verbs unitypackage. unfortunately the doc that comes with it is very vague so I thought I would ask
here, i've also emailed the owner etc.

Oh I see. But that is AC Unity template package, not AGS template.

I mean, it would be nice if someone on those forums could help you, but just to make things clear: this forum thread here is dedicated to AGS template, which is, although similar in visual concept, is technically completely different thing, belonging to a different engine.

Elvis Tanner

This is an awesome template. Plus it's still getting updated by abstauber, that's very important.

Is there an easy way to change the default language? I want to write all text and dialogue in German while coding the game and add an English translation later. I'm not an expert with AGS. I understand I could replace all the GUI sprites and English lines in the Globalscript to German, but is there an easier way? Like switching a single variable for example? :) Thanks in advance!

abstauber

"Maintained" is the right term ;) The template didn't get much new features the last few years - but on the other hand, it is also quite feature complete anyway.

Anyway regarding your question:
in guiscript.asc: set line 15 to eLangDE.

Code: ags
int lang = eLangDE; 

That's all you need to do for now.
Once your game gets translated, your translators just need to translate GUI_LANGUAGE to the according language (e.g eLangEN eLangFR etc.) in the .trs file.

kontakatilu

Hi, i trying make a game using this template. It works great! But When i add items to my inventory, only shows items in the upper row, and the bottom row is empty and i need to change to the next page to show them in the first row... What im doing wrong? My screen resolution is 640x400. I add to guiscript.asc the lines: MainInv.ItemWidth=64; MainInv.ItemHeight=48;, because the items overlapping.

Sorry for my english :)
Thanks.

edit:

If i change MainInv.ItemHeight=47; the two rows of inventory works, buty second row need move down 1 pixel...

edit2:

I put MainInv.Height=96; and now works fine!

abstauber

Sorry for the late reply (as always ;) ) and great to hear that you managed to solve it yourself.

I suppose, your item size is actually 96px? Oh, and you can also set the icon size inside the AGS editor itself. Click on 'Maingui' in GUIs (on the right), select the inventory area 'MainInv'. In the properties you can define the correct icon size.

abstauber

Added a bugfix and an option to disable the doubleclick support completely.
Thanks rmonic79 for the heads up.
http://shatten.sonores.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/9-verb-MI-style_152.zip

Monsieur OUXX

Digging up thread for support :
I've imported that whole module into my own game, but the game starts with some cursor mode that I didn't have before (can't remember if it's usermode1 or usermode2).
Do these cursor modes have a special use in the module? Do I need them or can I just kick them out?

abstauber

Both Usermodes are actually in use: WalkTo is Usermode2 and Open,Close,Push and Pull are Usermode1.
Could it possibly be that you are going to integrate this into 7 cities of gold? (roll)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 22/03/2017 16:20:58
Both Usermodes are actually in use: WalkTo is Usermode2 and Open,Close,Push and Pull are Usermode1.
Could it possibly be that you are going to integrate this into 7 cities of gold? (roll)

Oooooooh, OK! That explains a lot.
I don't know if this was documented somewhere but I suggest you do, if only as comments (if i remember correctly, this module is on source control, so it shouldn't be too hard?).

Yes it will be integrated into 7coG. Our interface was rather powerful ( didn't make the original code base, but it was a good job), but I prefer your way of handling translations. And I expect that switch to make our code more maintainable (because it will mutualize the knowledge).

On a different note: what would you say if we turned the module object-oriented? How would we upload the updated version? If it's in ags git it's easy.

Another question: why did you duplicate the enum for user modes? (instead of having eModePull, etc. you have eGAxxx, etc.)

abstauber

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Thu 30/03/2017 10:29:47
I don't know if this was documented somewhere but I suggest you do, if only as comments (if i remember correctly, this module is on source control, so it shouldn't be too hard?).
It's really not that obscure :P Have a peek at the lines 300+
But if you're beginning to work on the template anyway, feel free to add comments.

On a different note: what would you say if we turned the module object-oriented? How would we upload the updated version? If it's in ags git it's easy.
The template is maintained in a repo, but not the official AGS git. I usually call for CW, if the supplied template needs an update.
https://github.com/dkrey/ags_9verb-template

I didn't bother to create a struct (yet) because of compatibility reasons. For a complete rewrite I'd suggest to aim at version 2.0.
But the template is stable, documented and works fine so far. So I don't know if it's worth the effort.

Another question: why did you duplicate the enum for user modes? (instead of having eModePull, etc. you have eGAxxx, etc.)
Hm... I think it was done to be independent from mouse modes. So now your new interactions can all be mapped to Usermode1. The other modes are still there, because they are hardwired into AGS anyway. Users can choose if they want to handle everyting with an "otherclick" function and check for the verb there, or if they want to use the hardwired Talk/Use/Look/Interact functions.

Anyway, great to know that 7coG is on board :-D

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: abstauber on Thu 30/03/2017 14:07:46
It's really not that obscure :P Have a peek at the lines 300+
I'm not the one working with it now :P I'm being helped by an texternal programmer who is rather new to AGS.

I don't know if it's worth the effort making the module OOP
The thing is that adding a struct to contain all the functions also works indirectly as a namespace. It's much easier to check straight away what comes from which module (we have a billion of them).

Hm... I think it was done to be independent from mouse modes.
Good point. That's what we want, as we will offer several GUIs depending on the hardware and on the user preferences.

Users can choose if they want to handle everyting with an "otherclick" function and check for the verb there, or if they want to use the hardwired Talk/Use/Look/Interact functions.
Well, we were doing that in our own system, but using the built-in mouse modes. So...

Anyway, great to know that 7coG is on board :-D
...And we're happy and grateful to be able to use powerful tools.  ;)

abstauber

Here's a small update:

1.5.4  fixed label description
       Selected action is restored after unpausing the game

I already built the template with AGS 3.4.1 Beta3, but the code is completely backwards compatible. In fact the fixes are tiny: just open the global script, comment out lines 75 + 76 and you are done :)

abstauber

I'm currently rewriting this whole template.
The following would be great to know:
Is anyone actually using the door scripts or is it save to remove them?

Edit: Nevermind, I included it, but as a separate struct.

Elvis Tanner

Quote from: abstauber on Mon 24/04/2017 16:16:30I'm currently rewriting this whole template.
Good news! This is a great template and I'm using it for the game I currently work on, so thank you once again for maintaining it.

Are you rewriting it for better compatibility with newer versions of AGS or are you implementing new features? I'm asking because a "Keep-left-mouse-button-pressed-to-keep-character-walking" feature as seen in Thimbleweed Park would be really cool ;)

abstauber

I'm trying to recreate most features of Thimbleweed Park - I even bought the game for this purpose :D

Implemented features are:

• double click to run
  • Keep-left-mouse-button-pressed-to-keep-character-walking ;)
  • Switch between the classic UI and the new one (with the action label following the mouse) during gameplay
  • new Save/Load GUI with screenshots and automatic description

But on a downside (for all upgraders) I took the liberty to restructure the whole module, so upgrading an existing game will be a huge task.
So if you just need the running feature, it might be easier to just backport it to the recent template.

I might also experiment with some kind of compatibility layer between the new struct and the old functions.

Mehrdad

Great Features!!!. I'm waiting for it  ;-D
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

abstauber

Okies. I've backported the running option to this template 8-)
For this I had to change the cursor handling a little. In the previous versions of the template, when you clicked somewhere, the mouse cursor was hidden, until you the action was cancelled or done.
Now the mousecursor is shown the whole time. I checked back with SCUMM VM and I didn't find a case why the mouse cursor was hidden in the first place. It was only hidden during cutscenes. So in that case you would have to hide the cursor yourself.

I've also removed a code chunk from the rep_exec, since I had no idea why it was added in the first place.

abstauber

Thanks to arj0n, we now have a dutch translation and a new release! :grin:

abstauber

Here's another release, mostly fixing running issues.

Oh and currently this thread the one with the most views ever in "Modules & Plugins" :=
Go verbs!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk