MAGS October: Steampunk! (Winner Announced)

Started by Dualnames, Wed 30/09/2009 15:41:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Steampunk!

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner Helme:

Your game must take place on somewhere in the past. Steampunk means, that some sort of technology was invented, that changes the timeline.

The inventions mast have a certain importence for the game, but they don't need to be the center.
Most steampunk stories take place in the victorian age, but you are free to choose between stone age and 100 years ago.

Thread Rules:

1)Comments are allowed at all times but should be hided before and while the voting.
2)Partecipators are allowed to patch their games even while the voting but I should be informed via pm or here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All games must be till the 25th..

EDIT:Extension Given to the 27th.

Entries

Trial of the Schnellersparrow by Pinback
The Energizer by tzachs
The Chronomancers by discordance
Ted McBinky and his Steam Engine by FSi
Steamsquares by cat
Steam Trek: Clueless around Risa by frogking
Samarkand by Babar
One Of A Kind by Crimson Wizard
Ex Machina by SomeSickSelf

Winner

Spoiler
BABAR and Samarkand!!
[close]
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Dualnames, you wrote wrong topic name, "Only One" was previous one. :)

Interesting topic... and... funniest thing I already had concept for previous competition which was supposed to feature steampank elements. It did not work then, maybe I can make it now   :D

Leon

Now there are two... Only One's...  ;D
Let's make a game. Good luck to all.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Akatosh

Radiant

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 30/09/2009 15:41:31Your game must take place on somewhere in the past. Steampunk means, that some sort of technology was invented, that changes the timeline.
That is a... novel... definition of the word Steampunk.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 30/09/2009 19:38:14
Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 30/09/2009 15:41:31Your game must take place on somewhere in the past. Steampunk means, that some sort of technology was invented, that changes the timeline.
That is a... novel... definition of the word Steampunk.

Yeah, Strampunk should mean there should be lots of steam and... punks.
Like "Titanic".  :P

Hey... haven't I given idea to someone? ;)

discordance

BEST.

THEME.

EVER.

I might just have to get in on this one, although that definition of steampunk seems pretty darn shaky. I thought steam was usually involved?

Leon

Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Helme

@Leon

Thanks. I also thought about posting that link.

Quote from: discordance on Wed 30/09/2009 21:59:30
I thought steam was usually involved?

Glad you like the theme. I wanted a wider definition of Steampunk, so the invention has not to run on steam and you have more freedom concerning the period of time.

For Example, if you look at the engineering ideas of Leonardo da Vinci... he was a steampunk!

Dualnames

Fixed. And yes the theme is free and not on word..or whatever just make games peeps!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

NsMn

I have a general question: Does an entry have to be an Adventure game?

Dualnames

Quote from: NsMn on Thu 01/10/2009 14:57:22
I have a general question: Does an entry have to be an Adventure game?

No, not necessary, as long as it complies with the current month's topic it is legitimate.

Wyz

Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Maxileen

It's been a long time since I last entered in this competition (I think it was in 2005), but this month I've got time and I really like the topic, so let's get ready to steam :D

Dualnames

Quote from: Maxileen on Thu 01/10/2009 15:31:30
It's been a long time since I last entered in this competition (I think it was in 2005), but this month I've got time and I really like the topic, so let's get ready to steam :D

16 posts, all on the MAGS, absent for 2 years, then caboom, another post..welcome back!

edmundito

I approve of this mags. Now go out there and make me proud!
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

frogking

@Helme: Funny you should pick this topic, are you by chance
following the internet raytracing competition IRTC? That is also
steampunking in the current round ;)

See http://www.irtc.org/irtc/irtc?_n&pg=CurrentRounds

Helme

Never heard of them. By the way, Steampunk was already my idea for the previous MAGS competition.

Jimbob

I really wanna make something for this competition but I very much doubt it will be done before the month is out, but I've already mapped out the puzzles, characters and such like... then again, I've still not got far enough with my other 'first' AGS game. Damn having all these ideas!  :-\
Current Project: A Hard Day's Knight

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Jimbob on Tue 13/10/2009 18:19:00
I really wanna make something for this competition but I very much doubt it will be done before the month is out, but I've already mapped out the puzzles, characters and such like... then again, I've still not got far enough with my other 'first' AGS game. Damn having all these ideas!  :-\
Jimbob, I made a MAGS game in 5 days last time :)
1st day - planning story & puzzles, writing notes on paper (it was weekend and I wasn't at home to use my computer);
2nd day - scripting, drawn sketches to use as backgrounds;
3rd day - more scripting, fixing bugs, testing etc;
4th day - drawn 1st background;
5th day - drawn two more backgrounds, drawn inventory sprites, revamped Roger sprites to make it be slightly different from default :P; uploaded game.

It did not win though ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk