Life

Started by Calin Leafshade, Thu 14/01/2010 04:13:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Calin Leafshade

Life is a short art project conceived by Hayley Griffiths..

Dont expect gameplay.. but i thought id put it up anyway.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?category=&action=detail&id=1270&refresh1263442166

ThreeOhFour

I like the graphics (and animation), music and the idea of the little trolley that follows.

It reminded me slightly of Terry Cavanagh's Pathways. I enjoy seeing people try things like this in which our interaction is more akin to turning pages in a book than trying to achieve any goal.

I am also sure some people will fail to see the point, and that I may have merely invented a point to see in the game as a gesture of courtesy towards the designer. However, it has been suggested that a picture tells a thousand words, so perhaps the point itself is to assign meaning to this however the player sees fit.

Or perhaps I just enjoy talking nonsense at length.

Jolly good, whatever the truth is.

Calin Leafshade

Oh, and i should also mention that this build is specifically for Hayleys Show & Listen class review thingy tomorrow so it has some peculiarities.

Leave the girl stood still for 10 seconds without pressing any keys. I'll probably change that to like 3 seconds tomorrow.. but im tired.. sleep

Crimson Wizard

How very cheerful and optimistic.

:=

Seriously, it's drawn and animated very nicely. By the way, I guess that is smooth scrolling & paralax module working there? ;)
And what that box on wheels stand for? reminds me a spooky story about coffin-on-the-wheels I was told when I was a child.

Spoiler

I had a feeling in the end it will chase her down and something bad happen.
[close]

qptain Nemo

A nice artsy thing :)

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Thu 14/01/2010 05:16:22Leave the girl stood still for 10 seconds without pressing any keys.
The result made me laugh out loud. :D

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 15/01/2010 02:16:47
Spoiler

I had a feeling in the end it will chase her down and something bad happen.
[close]
Yes, me too! I thought that
Spoiler
the box is her coffin in which she'll fall when her life ends
[close]

Atelier

I expected the Big Bad Wolf to come and gobble her up, red dress and all. But all I got was a deep meaning. Good short game!

qptain Nemo

Quote from: AtelierGames on Sat 23/01/2010 13:25:30
I expected the Big Bad Wolf to come and gobble her up, red dress and all. But all I got was a deep meaning. Good short game!
In that case you should play The Path. It's no less artsy and it's all about red dresses and big bad wolves :D

Dualnames

Apart that it's animated nicely there's nothing particularly cheerful and all, about
Spoiler
a girl walking.
[close]

To see to that end I walked 565 yards :D. It accidentally triggered as I was searching for keys. You should also add an ENTER symbol next to start.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

LRH

Oi, I've never really been one for deep and inner meanings unless they slap me in the face. I understand the message when you stand still, which is really gloomy and depressing... :P

However, I simply can't place a meaning to the little box/trolly....

Anyone have some ideas?

Iv4n

That thing kinda reminds me of Rincewind's luggage  ;D
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/discworld/screenshots/gameShotId,10645/

Dualnames: I've beat you! I've scored 692 yards!  :P

FireOrange

There really is no ending, isn`t it? ;)

It`s a very interesting surreal thing (since I can`t call it a game). I enjoyed it.

Edit:

SookieSock

My god how long was you holding the button down for lol. It was never intended to be a game, its for an art project at university. :P

FireOrange

Not at all. My TV-control did it for me. ;D

vertigoaddict

Quote from: Domithan on Sat 23/01/2010 18:28:31
Oi, I've never really been one for deep and inner meanings unless they slap me in the face. I understand the message when you stand still, which is really gloomy and depressing... :P

However, I simply can't place a meaning to the little box/trolly....

Anyone have some ideas?

The trolley is empty, therefore she has nothing to lose by going away? That's her whole life in that box...yes, her life is very...empty.

Sythe

Quote from: vertigoaddict on Wed 27/01/2010 06:58:50
The trolley is empty, therefore she has nothing to lose by going away? That's her whole life in that box...yes, her life is very...empty.

It's po-mo art;

As I interpret it, it's just an expression of nihilism. The box that follows you is just 'stuff'; emotionless and empty. And all that can be said is 'stuff' follows you around in life. There's no purpose to any of it; It's just things that happen, and stuff that apparently exists.

The lack of overall meaning I think is the goal of the piece.

But man lighten up! Art is supposed to make you feel richer for the experience. Ordinary life has enough despair in it already without dark nihilistic art dragging everyone down!

Calin Leafshade

I actually didn't write the game, I only scripted it.

but I do consider myself a nihilist and I don't considered that to be pessimistic.

A roller-coaster takes you back to the exact spot you got on at... doesn't mean the ride is any less fun.

Igor Hardy

I liked the visual style, but can't say I took anything else from it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk