EDITOR PLUGIN: AGSExportPlugin

Started by Clarvalon, Sat 10/10/2009 22:48:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Clarvalon

[Edit: 18th Jan 2018] The AGS Export Plugin has now been open sourced:

What better way to spend a Saturday night than writing my very first AGS Editor plugin?  This plugin is based upon the RoomXML exporter code by Denzil Quixode.

NOTE:  The second stage of the conversion requires XAGE Editor v0.5, which has not yet been released to the public (so it's pretty useless to most people at the moment).

Usage:  This plugin prepares AGS game files in a way that is suitable for conversion to the Xna Adventure Game Engine (XAGE), in order to play them on the Xbox360 or via a web browser.  It is designed to be as straightforward as possible, so the instructions should hopefully be self-explanatory.  After copying AGS.Plugin.ExportToXAGE.dll to the AGS Editor executable directory, a new option should appear on the toolbar, 'Export -> Prepare game for XAGE':

If selected, the plugin will then launch XAGE Editor and automatically begin the second stage of the conversion process. 

Download:  ExportToXage v0.4.zip

Changelog:
  v0.5 - Released Source Code (22nd Dec 2012).
  v0.4 - FIXED - Rooms with no description & View subfolder warning.
  v0.3 - FIXED - Uses relative rather than absolute paths.
  v0.2 - ADDED - Extracts Hotspots, Regions, WalkAreas, WalkBehinds as PNG.
  v0.1 - Initial version.  Automates extraction of Room XML, sprites and room background images.
XAGE - Cross-Platform Adventure Game Engine (alpha)

arj0n

Amazing & awesome job your doing with this AGS -> XAGE project clarvalon! :D
Hope you get supported with enough useful sources from ags gamemakers
so you can work it all out to a 100% finished and stable version ;)
I'll keep an eye on this project for sure.
Good luck!

Denzil Quixode

Cool! I'm glad to see you're getting use out of that code already :)

One thing though, do I need a box.net account or something to download it? The URL doesn't seem to give me any obvious option to download the file, I just see a generic landing page

Clarvalon

Whoops, I cocked up the URL.  Fixed now.

Dualnames

I'm waiting for you to post a linky on XAGE Version 0.5! Why the tease?!!! :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Clarvalon

But waiting is fun!  Sometimes I like to just sit and stare at my enormous ToDo list and happily twiddle my thumbs.

Clarvalon

Cracked it - All masks are now being extracted as PNG images.  AGS Hotspots are now successfully being extracted and converted into XAGE objects.  WalkBehinds should be fairly straightforward.  Regions and WalkableAreas are going to prove much trickier.  Plugin updated to v0.2.

Dualnames

Quote from: clarvalon on Tue 13/10/2009 23:59:07
Cracked it - All masks are now being extracted as PNG images.  AGS Hotspots are now successfully being extracted and converted into XAGE objects.  WalkBehinds should be fairly straightforward.  Regions and WalkableAreas are going to prove much trickier.  Plugin updated to v0.2.

Great, still can't see it, but greatness so far.. :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Clarvalon

Plugin updated to v0.3 (paths now stored as relative rather than absolute to make it easier to move or share conversion projects).

Clarvalon

Plugin updated to v0.4 (rooms without a description were not being correctly converted, also added a warning to ensure all views are in the base folder rather than organised into subfolders, as the game.agf deserializer cannot cope with recursive types in the xml).

Dualnames

Cool! Two updates so fast! Still need the ... thing missing (:P)..

Clarvalon

Chances are the XAGE v0.5 alpha will be released once I'm done with Awakener, but I may sit on it a few weeks longer to work on the GUI stuff, to help more games convert to a playable state.  Not too long now  :)

Dualnames

Quote from: clarvalon on Tue 19/01/2010 20:00:01
Chances are the XAGE v0.5 alpha will be released once I'm done with Awakener, but I may sit on it a few weeks longer to work on the GUI stuff, to help more games convert to a playable state.  Not too long now  :)

No worries, I don't think I'll be able to convert HHGTG anyway.. :D

Clarvalon

I was asked for the source code so here it is in case anyone else can make use of it:  Clicky

Warning - hastily written, badly maintained code alert!

Freidenker01

Hey there XAGE sounds very cool!!!!

I'm highly interested and wanted to give it a try...but...I couldn't find a working download of v0.4 (the download link on your blogspot page seems to be dead) Would be cool if you (or somebody else, who's reading this post) could give us a working download ;-)

Clarvalon

XAGE has been offline for a long while now as I've been re-working some of the core parts, and the supporting tools need work to bring them in line with the new approach (heavy Visual Studio integration).  The compiled exporter plugin is available here:  AGS.Plugin.ExportToXAGE.dll

Clarvalon

This plugin has now been open sourced - see edit to original post.

bx83

Hi, is v0.2 (export backgrounds to png format) still around? All I can find is v0.6, which exports to .alpha
Btw which compiler do you use for the plugin? Visual C? I'm not versed in anything but AGS but I'll recompile if I absolutely have to :p

Clarvalon

Not sure of the specific version but here's one I found on my dropbox dated 2013 - Link.

I've also compiled it from source, the very last version before the output format was changed to .apha (pre github repo) - Link.

If the output from either isn't suitable then next step would be to fork the repo on github and change to whatever format you need.  This is an AGS Editor plugin so uses C#.

bx83

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk