Tune Contest (October 18th to November 1st): Winter / WINNER ANNOUNCED

Started by nihilyst, Sun 18/10/2009 12:15:19

Previous topic - Next topic

nihilyst

It's getting really cold now, so it's time to set the theme to

WINTER

Be it a snowy forest, Antarctica, the castle of the Ice Queen, christmas holidays or a skiing trip, anything goes.

No restrictions, no requirements aside from having fun.

Let's go!

cheers
nihilyst

Calin Leafshade

Go on then... since i have little else to do.

http://www.thethoughtradar.com/songs/winter.mp3

It doesnt make much sense from a musical structure point of view.. but meh.. killed an hour or so.

Crimson Wizard

Calin Leafshade's one is lyrical and may fit well for "contemporary" adventure genre. Feels like "return home from a long trip". I imagined a small town covered by snow, seen from above, and scrolling credits :)
(I'd only wish those beats weren't so sharp.)
EDIT: I was breaking my head trying to understand what does this tune remind me, and then I knew - it was something from "Silent Hill" movie soundtrack, "Theme of Laura" I guess.

Le Woltaire's one feels more fantasy-like, and referred rather to nature than civilization.

I wonder if someone will do more major-ish winter music though ;).

nihilyst

Two very good entries so far. Keep em coming.

Yeah, and now that you mention it, Calins entry really has a "Silent Hill" feeling to it. Good work!

ShiverMeSideways

To half-answer Crimson Wizard's question: I'm apparently not.

Listen here, on MySpace and download here, on MediaFire. Also, listen on Newgrounds!.

Here's my entry, which is winter-ish and/or freezy-ish. Lovingly named The Cold Breath of Death, it's a 3-and-a-half-minute romp divided into five bits:

[0:00] - Cold Breath of Death
[0:55] - Negation
[1:37] - Final Struggle
[2:06] - Acceptance
[2:49] - Ascendance

There are no distorted guitars in this one (just a clean one), and it's basically heavy drumming with heavy bass-playing coupled with strings, a piano, a cello, and other such instruments, so I'd say it's Symphonic Metal with Progressive influences. I used this particular arrangement because a) it gives a more Nordic (ergo winter-ish) feeling to the song and b) the distorted guitar parts sounded off.

But anyhoo, enough explaining. :)

PS: really good entries by La Woltaire and Calin!

discordance

Crimson Wizard

That's cool, discordance! But for me personally that sounds more like space melody :) Closer to ending I could catch New Year/Christmas motives though.

discordance

Are you kidding? There were blatant sleigh bells at the beginning there  ;)

Midian Design

This is my goal  :) :
Quote from: nihilyst on Sun 18/10/2009 12:15:19
the castle of the Ice Queen

The orchestra "draws" the landscape and the piano is the wind.

Inverno - per Piano e Orchestra in re minore

thomasregin

Hey guys,

I guess this contest-theme calls for an old "classic" of mine (freely inspired by Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D):

When Worlds Unite

Merry Christmas! ;D

Thomas.

nihilyst

Okay, last chance. I'll decide the winner on monday.

Great entries so far.

nihilyst

It's cool to see that there were 7 entries. Great work!

Calin Leafshade
Your song really has a winter feel to it. I like what you've done with the guitar, but it's a tad monotonous.

Le Woltaire
You accomplish to give me a fantasy-medieval feeling. I like how the song changes its mood, and it reminded me of Inherit the Earth, which is a good thing, I guess.

boojiboy
Your song could work great in a game.

Thomas Regin
A great christmas song. The inspiration by Pachelbel just adds to it.

ShiverMeSideways
Reminds me of cold barren wastelands. A bit too much double base for my taste, but I guess this has something to do with that Symphonic Metal kind of thing :D

Midian Design
I think you accomplished your goal. Your song is first mysterious and then powerful. I like that.

discordance
A nice calm winter piece, like a small town on a sunny winter's morning.

It's really hard to choose a winner, but I go for Le Woltaire. Great job everyone!

Pinback

Calin Leafshade's entry rocked. I thought it was far from monotonous.

Calin Leafshade

you know im not going to keep entering these things unless someone can guarantee i'm going to win.

Who do i have to tip to make that happen?

Le Woltaire

Since I'm going to make the next you should try to tip me...
Let's make...10.000 $
OK?

nihilyst

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk