Hourgame Saturday!!! One awesome entry, play it now!!! [idea for a change]

Started by Bulbapuck, Thu 03/12/2009 20:01:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulbapuck

Another Hourgame Saturday :D I'm the host this week, and I'm posting today so that I don't forget :P

Now stop dancing with joy so I can explain what this is, ...and by "me explaing" I of course mean copy pasting from an earlier comp:

The purpose of Hourgame Saturday is, to encourage the amateur game-making, or to put it bluntly, to make you tear your ass off your chair and finally make something.
In this activity your task is to make an AGS game within a strict and a very short deadline (i.e. one hour).

Timeline:
The event takes place every (surely hope so) Saturday, starting at 7:00 pm GMT, when the theme is revealed on the IRC and in this thread. The participants then have one hour to make their entries and 15 more minutes for uploading. In brief: the deadline for entries is 8:15 pm.
Then the voting takes place till the Monday Morning.

Basic rules:
- Participants can join IRC for rules and updates (how do I join IRC?), but every information will be posted here too, so it's your choice.
- The theme is set by the previous week's winner and by the contest's host in event of his/her absence.
- While it is not forbidden for the theme-setters to participate in the activity, their games cannot be voted for (to prevent accusations of cheating and to discourage regular participation).
- Instead, theme-setters are encouraged to draw trophies for the contest's winners.
- Making your game from scratch is strongly encouraged, though it is not forbidden to use music or artwork from public sources if you are allowed to (e.g. using public domain music tracks in your game is OK, but not really necessary). It is also possible to use a pre-existent AGS template for your game (e.g. that Verb-Coin GUI template).
- You cannot use the stuff you've made earlier, because this competition is about making something new.

Uploading:
Suggested hosts to upload your entry to are:
- http://shutupload.com/
- http://www.mediafire.com/
- http://www.sendspace.com/
- http://www.rapidshare.com/
- Or your own place.

Voting:
Just tell us your favourite game (and possibly a couple of less favourite ones), and hopefully someone will do the counting.

Important: please post here if you'd like to join but the timeline is not ok for you! Slight changes are always possible!

Now look at the shiny trophy: oooh, shiny.
You know you want it.

So JOIN NOW!!!!1!!! ...and by "now" I of course mean saturday at 7:00 pm GMT

Bulbapuck

So, I had an idea and I want people's opinion on it:

Having the "Hourgame Saturday" every week is fun, but it results in it being less special then it was before. Hence the amount of entries is falling.

So to get the most out of this event: here's my suggestion:
Have the hourgame every other week at 7:00 pm as usual, but every other week have it at 7:00 am.

I believe this would imply an increase in activity, and also allow everybody to join and not just the ones up at 7:00 pm.

Please post here what you think of this idea.

FSi++

it's an awesome idea, that way australian people can join too!

bicilotti

I agree with Bulbapuck, HG saturday makes HGs a bit less special than before. My original idea was to have it bi-weekly, but this could work too. Two questions:

-are there any Australians here, interested in the activity?
-will the host be able to perform his duty on 7am (maybe he's hangovering after friday)

Bulbapuck

Alright, how about this:

The winner of one week gets to host, not the next week, but the week after that.

Also, I was under the impression that the community has many members from asia and america. So this time could be better for those too. But I'm quite crappy at time zones so I hope someone who knows their stuff can give some input.

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Wonkyth

I like these Ideas.
I've been thinking of putting some thought to having thoughts about the idea of trying this soon, maybe even today...
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Bulbapuck

NsMn

I can't believe this, I'm not going to enter. Who is?

Edit: Well, I did this. Little pun on an american drug PSA. -> P(C)SA

Bulbapuck

1 entry? I know I was a bad host, but still :'(
Was the topic that bad?

Anyway, great entry NsMn. you definately desrve the win :)

EDIT: So should we implement this idea for next week?

Wonkyth

Yes, but I don't think I'll be able to enter either one anyway.
:'(
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

ShiverMeSideways

Bulbapuck, I've been on IRC at 7 AM, and there's no-one around. I usually wake up around 6-7 GST, and everyone is sleeping...

Bulbapuck

I see. Thank you for your input :)

When do you think would be a good time? 1 pm or something like that?

ShiverMeSideways

I dunno, I've noticed that during the day, there isn't that much activity going on, especially during mid-day. The most activity is later at night, from 7 'till the wee hours... I can't give you the hour in which the activity is at its peak, maybe you should talk to an op.

EDIT: I refer you to http://highlyrefinedpirate.com/stats/.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk