MAGS November: Breaking In (Winner announced!)

Started by Dualnames, Sun 01/11/2009 08:18:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Breaking In:

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner Babar:

There must be a concerted effort, by a team of people, to break into some reasonably major obstacle.
So it could be breaking into a bank, or a prison, etc., but try not to go for something as simple as "Being locked out of my own car".

Also, not necessary, but try having the player character be switched from one person to another during the course of the gameplay.

For extra awesomeness points: BEARDS
...And that is all.

Thread Rules:

1)Comments are allowed at all times but should be hided before and while the voting.
2)Partecipators are allowed to patch their games even while the voting but I should be informed via pm or here, and only IF the game has a serious bug that makes it crash. Due to the inability of keeping track of versions of the games, I've settled to this. So you can patch your game, if it crashes or if it can't be completed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winner is Abstauber!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Scarab

Dammit! I've already started a game about this, so I can't use that idea :(

Not only that, but one of the inventory items WAS A BEARD!!

Curse you Barbar, and your ironic twist of fate ;)

DrWhite

Cool topic. Probably won´t have the time to make up an a game, but I´m looking forward to playing the entries.

Bulbapuck

Wait a minuite... I have a beard!!! This must be a sign!

Awesome topic Babar :D
I'll start working on something today, however, I can't promise I'll finish due to school being a higher priority.

Helme

My first MAGS-game had a beard as an inventory item, but you had to break out not in...

Crimson Wizard

Actually I do have an idea (and for quite a time), but I can't promise anything.  ;)

Kastchey

A team effort to break into something big plus character switching during gameplay? Well that certainly does ring a bell  :)

Bulbapuck

The school schedule is getting the better of me :'( The only chance to get it done before deadline is by a team effort, however, is that allowd?

I assumed it wasn't until I saw this game by ben304 and Paolo.

What do the rules say here?

ThreeOhFour

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Ben304 on Wed 04/11/2009 17:42:37
There are a few different games that were team efforts in the past  ;D
Neat-o :) thanks, now I just need to find someone to work with ;)

cat

What do you need help with? Story, Graphics, Coding?

Bulbapuck

Rocco

like this robbery themes very much.
i made similar rules, a few years ago -> http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=13652.0
oh man 5 years, time is running like hell.  :P
so maybe i will give it a try, but  i struggle a bit with the teameffort.
lets see...

Crimson Wizard

I actually started making a game which includes breaking in couple of days ago, but it looks like much work to do, because I wanted to practice making better character animations, so I don't think it will be MAGS game ;)

DrWhite

Well, looks like I´m really going to make up an entry. Thanks for the inspiring theme, Barbar.

Babar

Yay! I am happy. And I also encourage Rocco and Crimson Wizard to go for something!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

abstauber

Hey,

I've decided to give this a try too. And Rocco, I'm using one of your modules - so at least there's a little team spirit outside the games ;D

DoorKnobHandle

Since modules were mentioned, one thing I've been wondering for ages: is it okay to use modules/plugins (even if you haven't published them openly yet) that you made before?

Won't enter this one btw., just a general question.

Dualnames

Quote from: dkh on Thu 12/11/2009 18:04:54
Since modules were mentioned, one thing I've been wondering for ages: is it okay to use modules/plugins (even if you haven't published them openly yet) that you made before?

Won't enter this one btw., just a general question.

Ah, coding snippets are allowed. Since you're allowed to use a template to make a MAGS game that it is made before the competition starts, I don't see any point not allowing modules.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

abstauber

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk