MAGS November: Breaking In (Winner announced!)

Started by Dualnames, Sun 01/11/2009 08:18:43

Previous topic - Next topic

OneDollar

:-\ Guess we'll find out when a different game suddenly wins.

Edit:
I've now finished the other three entries, and all are very nice games. I'm not going to vote 'cos that wouldn't be fair, but I enjoyed playing.

@Bulbapuck
One area I got stuck on:
Spoiler
I figured I had to squash the spider in the bowl with the rock in order to get the red sphere, but the game wouldn't let me do this (nothing happened). After consulting Leon's walkthrough I concentrated on opening the gate, then suddenly I could squash the spider. I guess this is to stop the player getting into the next room without opening the gate, but I was focused on trying to get the red sphere and couldn't. Perhaps you could stop the characters being able to trade the rock (it's too big to fit under the door or something)?

Also all of the interactable areas of the inventory items seemed to be at the bottom right of the arrow, rather than the point, which made using object a little difficult.

Was that a bit of a Pan's Labyrinth reference at the end? :D
[close]

Travis Anthony

@ abstauber
Great mags game.  My final score was 110850.
I didn't really like how the airplane would reset to the start point every time that you got hit.  Seemed weird.
I would definitely get someone to proof read it though.
Nice art work.  The dog wasn't much of a "team" though. :p
The difficult we do immediately.  The impossible takes a little longer.

abstauber

Hehe,
well you could also see it as teaming up with the plane. Then you also have your player-switch :D

And that's one awesome score. For how long have you kept the last boss alive?

Oh- and proof reading is in the works :)

frogking

@abstauber:

Your games looks really sleek but I encountered two problems:

Spoiler
After giving the bag with rodent to the dog, I couldn't get it to follow me. I got the message that I'm his friend but walking up to the dog didn't have any reaction. I restarted the game (and also tried doing everything in a different order) and it worked. I think the first time I opened the fence before leaving to fetch the rodent. I also have a savegame with this problem.
[close]

I saved immediately after playing through the first arcade sequence. Now I can't load
it, the game, it always crashes with "crossfade: buffer is null attempting transistion".
I might have saved tooooo quickly? >:(

abstauber

Hi Frogking,

thanks for playing. Yes this "Dog-Problem" has already been reported to me. All I'm doing is to check, if Rufus has the "rodent-bag" in his inventory.
And it appears, that sometimes cRufus.Addinventory does not work. I'll see if I can switch it over to a global var.

The second problem is that stupid me has used AGS 3.2RC2, which still seems to have trouble with saving and the new sound system. So unfortunately we all have to wait for the final version of AGS 3.2 ;)

Bulbapuck

Quote from: OneDollar on Sat 28/11/2009 11:41:23
@Bulbapuck
One area I got stuck on:
Spoiler
I figured I had to squash the spider in the bowl with the rock in order to get the red sphere, but the game wouldn't let me do this (nothing happened). After consulting Leon's walkthrough I concentrated on opening the gate, then suddenly I could squash the spider. I guess this is to stop the player getting into the next room without opening the gate, but I was focused on trying to get the red sphere and couldn't. Perhaps you could stop the characters being able to trade the rock (it's too big to fit under the door or something)?

Also all of the interactable areas of the inventory items seemed to be at the bottom right of the arrow, rather than the point, which made using object a little difficult.

Was that a bit of a Pan's Labyrinth reference at the end? :D
[close]
Ooooh, I feel so stupid now :P Why didn't I think of that? I'll update it later this week. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. :) Also, I have to check that interactable area thing out, because I was so sure I specified that with every item. Obviously I didn't. Thank you again!

Also, the reference: I saw that movie once but I don't quite remember it, so maybe something stuck to my brain and I used it? Anyway, if it was clever I'll say that it was my intension all along ;)

*sigh* every time I post here I'm saddened by the fact that I don't have any time to play these games.. They all look so awesome.

DrWhite

Played all entries and I liked them all. At the end I voted for
Spoiler
Aeronuts, because it was just so outstandig, and also because it was that kind of game I really would like to make myself. Great graphics and music, lovely characters (even the Baron) and the most impressive use of shakescreen I have experienced in the last time.
[close]

But also ...
Spoiler
If Aeronuts wouldn´t be so outstanding, I´d have big problems to say which game is the best this month.
[close]

Dualnames

Quote from: abstauber on Sun 29/11/2009 16:08:48
Hi Frogking,

thanks for playing. Yes this "Dog-Problem" has already been reported to me. All I'm doing is to check, if Rufus has the "rodent-bag" in his inventory.
And it appears, that sometimes cRufus.Addinventory does not work. I'll see if I can switch it over to a global var.

The second problem is that stupid me has used AGS 3.2RC2, which still seems to have trouble with saving and the new sound system. So unfortunately we all have to wait for the final version of AGS 3.2 ;)

You've won mister!! You've got a pm, so give the reply ASAP!! :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

abstauber

Wonderful :D :D :D

I hope I'll come up with something good.

Thanks again!!

Gudforby

Congrats!

Didn't have the time to play through all the entries this month though...

OneDollar

Congratulations Abstauber! I think most people knew who was going to win from the start though... it was a great entry.

kaputtnik

I voted for Dr. White! Just so you know, it's not my fault if abstauber comes up with a freaky seasonal MAGS topic like "A New Year's Eve 2000 B.C." or "Spinoffs to Star Wars Holiday Special"!
I, object.

discordance

Quote from: kaputtnik on Tue 01/12/2009 22:05:17
"Spinoffs to Star Wars Holiday Special"!

noooooooo!  :o

Actually that would be a great rule. I know what kind of game I'd make: A shooter in which you disembowel everyone involved! That would be incredibly therapeutic.

Ryan Timothy B

Congrats Abstauber.

I was hoping to wake up this morning to see the December competition start.  Since it's December, the deadline is usually the 20th--due to Christmas disrupting our regular lives.  Pretty soon the December competition will turn into an TRTW competition (two room, two week).  ;D  For me, being laid off and all, it's a perfect time to work on a game.

DrWhite

Congrats Abstauber. I´d say the best game won - probably the best Mags-game I did play. And so addicting - I´m still beating my highscore.

abstauber

The theme already has been submitted, although is was already quite late yesterday.

Thanks you all again :)

@kaputtnik and discordance:
Yes, Star-Wars Christmas would be very cool indeed. Well... seems like I've ruined it for this year ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk