Background Blitz - Ruins - Winner Announced!

Started by ThreeOhFour, Mon 09/11/2009 13:15:01

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

For this activity, I ask you to present us with your impression of the topic 'Ruins'.

Do feel free to take this in any way you wish; I am hoping to see everything from the crumbling remains of an ancient city or temple to the shattered shell of a crashed spaceship in a crater.

Please have your entries in by November 23rd, as I will be asking for votes after this date.

Please also keep in mind that your background should be AGS compatible - in other words, minimum resolution of 320x200.

Voting Categories I've taken the liberty of stealing these from Misj'

Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere: Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design: How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest.
Functionality: How well it would work as a background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle (this also includes introductionary shots of an area as long as a player character can be present in the scene).
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.[/u]

Be creative, and I hope to see some inspiring entries! :)

Matt Frith

Woohoo,  After missing deadlines for past background blitz's (mainly through laziness and doing other things),  I decided to enter this one.  As soon as I saw the topic,  I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted so jumped straight in and whipped this up in  the last two eveinngs.  Pretty pleased with it so I hope you all enjoy it too.  It's a 320 x 200  background double sized:

Pinback

Nice work Tier, love the atmosphere. Wish I was roasting marshmellows there right now!

Kastchey

I thought it might be cool to have a fallen statue head in this theme and I was wrong. This is by far the most boring background I've ever made, I think. Oh well :)

320x200
x1
x2

Wonkyth

"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

cuestaluis

Meh, this is my entry. Can't afford to distract me anymore or my MAGS won't be finished!

Newly ruined castle atop a mountain, hope this fits in the rules!

x2

IndieBoy

The top secret, secret weapon testing of the evil villain The Dandelionͭͫâ,,¢'s top secret location of secret weapon testing was unfortunately right next to the top secret Evil Villain Hideout Manufacturer and Architects Corpâ,,¢'s headquarters.

Who'd of thunk'd it?!
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Chicky

Bror_Jon

Well here's my little sci-fi ruin. This is my first background, so I hope it ain't too bad.  ;D

Quote from: monkey_05_06
I officially love you good sir, Always and Eternally.

nihilyst

Okay, didn't have much time, so this one lacks some details. Oh, what the heck.

2x

The Ruins of Their Lives

When the flying island came, they brought war over the once peaceful land of Colosis. Their village was burnt down, all their friends and families had been killed. Their live now lay in ruins. They had to leave their old life behind them and begin a new one as vagabonds living in forests and caverns.

Wonkyth

Wow, this ones pretty populated!
Great entries, people.
You make me so jealous. :P
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Chicky

I said i would enter!

A castle sits ruined above waterlogged hills in the isle of lost souls. Populated only by an aged voodoo witch who spends her last days casting a dark cloud of despair over the islands. No man has ever returned.

ThreeOhFour

You guys are all so totally awesome! Kickass entries everyone!

If there's still anyone out there working on something you've only got a few days to get it in before I ask people to start voting, so make sure you get it finished up in time!

Matti

Quote from: Ben304 on Sat 21/11/2009 11:26:59
If there's still anyone out there working on something you've only got a few days to get it in before I ask people to start voting, so make sure you get it finished up in time!

Yeah, I really wish to join this as my first BG Blitz ever, but haven't started anything yet. Maybe I get something done today tomorrow.

Edit: Damn it.

Mr Flibble

Quote from: Chicky on Fri 20/11/2009 19:30:27
I said i would enter!

A castle sits ruined above waterlogged hills in the isle of lost souls. Populated only by ...

I read that twice as "The Isle of Man".
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

xenophon

Last minute rush entry.
*fingers crossed I make the deadline*

ThreeOhFour

Ok people!

Time's up - but what an awesome set of entries!

You know what time it is, so do that vote thing you all love to do (good luck choosing!  :o)

Votes will be counted and winner announced in two (2) days.

Atelier

So many entries to choose from this round, and all very different ones too. Here are my votes:

Idea: Indieboy
Atmosphere: Tier
Design: nihilyst
Composition: cuestaluis
Functionality: Tier

Matt Frith

I'm glad to see so many entries too, I hope everyone else had as much fun as I did making my background.  Thanks for a great topic Ben :)

As for my votes:

Idea: jon_swe
Atmosphere: cuestaluis
Design: nihilyst
Composition: nihilyst
Functionality: Kastchey
Technique: Chicky

I might edit later when I have more time and give my reasons for my choices

Bror_Jon

Very nice entries, I see here how good I might become.  ;)
As I said, good entries.

Idea: Indieboy
Atmosphere: nihilyst
Design: cuestaluis
Composition: nihilyst
Functionality: Tier

Quote from: monkey_05_06
I officially love you good sir, Always and Eternally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk