Sprite Jam: The Saint (Winner Announced!)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Tue 17/11/2009 18:04:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

This may be rather not very original, but what the heck. We already had Lexicon Daemonica, Pirates, Spies, Undead, and lots of sprites with boobies. So, this time it will be

The Saint

Draw a sprite of a man, woman or creature dedicated to holyness. It may be a furious demon-battling angel or an old blind prophet, a perorating preacher or a humble nun. Or something totally extraordinary, whatever your imagination can produce.

Restrictions
1. Sprite must be AGS-compatible, i.e. it should be usable in adventure game.
2. No chicks with large boobies. I won't let you desecrate this sacred thread, you, sinful infidels!  >:(

And don't forget to have fun read the Holy Writ thrice a day.

Trophies:

(Hopefully they aren't too ugly)

h3adlin3

What about dudes with large boobies?

(sorry, couldn't resist) ;D

Misj'

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 17/11/2009 18:04:54Restrictions
2. No chicks with large boobies. I won't let you desecrate this sacred thread, you, sinful infidels!  >:(
So no chance of drawing a dozen or so Vestal Virgins right before their pre-mature retirement...

Victor6

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 17/11/2009 18:04:54
2. No chicks with large boobies. I won't let you desecrate this sacred thread, you, sinful infidels!  >:(

What counts as large? 3 pixels or more? I'm kinda curious.....My last sprite-jam entry began life as an angel statue.

Bah. 1 sex-changed sprite coming up:-

Not 100% sure if using the alpha channel is allowed, if not I'll upload a flat version. The blur's nice for creating soft-focus effects though.

Any more sprite-jams like this and I'll have to implement a summoning system....

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: h3adlin3 on Wed 18/11/2009 05:08:13
What about dudes with large boobies?
Restrain yourself, my son  >:(

Quote from: Misj' on Wed 18/11/2009 08:36:36
So no chance of drawing a dozen or so Vestal Virgins right before their pre-mature retirement...
There are two chances: first one - not so large boobies, second is called paranja.  :P

Quote from: Victor6 on Wed 18/11/2009 11:23:37
What counts as large? 3 pixels or more? I'm kinda curious.....
Tempting large  ;D

Technocrat

So, not the Roger Moore kind of Saint? 'cos I'd have gone for that.

Ian Ogilvie is fine too.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Technocrat on Wed 18/11/2009 16:00:41

Ian Ogilvie is fine too.
Hmm, if you mean this, than perhaps not. ;)
Rules state this quite straight: "a sprite of a man, woman or creature dedicated to holyness", not just named "saint" because of some reason.

Victor6

Ian Ogilvie is fine too.

No Val Kilmer?

Babar

Quote from: Victor6 on Wed 18/11/2009 16:57:46
So, not the Roger Moore kind of Saint?

No Val Kilmer?
:(

I was going to draw such an sprite shoot all the bad guys and keeping the world holy :P
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Misj'

Quote from: Babar on Wed 18/11/2009 17:03:22I was going to draw such an sprite shoot all the bad guys and keeping the world holy :P

Wouldn't that make it like Dolph Lundgren's Missionary Man?

--click to enlarge--

I haven't seen the movie, but I kinda have the feeling you're describing the basic plot :)

ps. Sorry Crimson, but all this semi-off-topic-brain-storming is just too good to pass  ;D

Crimson Wizard

Quoteps. Sorry Crimson, but all this semi-off-topic-brain-storming is just too good to pass 

Come on, people, just draw SOMETHING! :=

Wonkyth

OK, ok.
I'll see if I can whip something up today.
If not today, then not, as I've got a full plate.... :P
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Crimson Wizard

Allright, I drew some trophies... three of them. Even though I don't see any other entries besides Victor6's one.
What? Scared by "no-chicks-with-boobies" rule? Meh. Difficult to draw a decent girl at least once?  ;D
Whatever.
Competition ends in about 24 hours, by the way. Or 48, latest.

Misj'

I've had a bit of a painter's block lately, and nothing good came out of my fingers (at least nothing that inspired my to continue with it). So while I haven't been able to finish a sprite for this Jam, I did play around with character designs where I tried out different aspects of 'Saintship' (including, but not limited to women with different brassiere measurements).

Should I have time (which is lacking) and feel inspired (which is lacking even more (not due to the theme by the way!)) I might turn one or two of them into Sierra-style talking-sprites (assuming that's within the rules of the Jam).

Crimson Wizard

There's a nice set of characters, Misj, although I am not sure I recognise anyone except for one looking like Zeus or Heracles maybe, and some sort of cardinal with purple cap (don't know how these are called). :)

....actually I hoped to see something more... pious...  ;D but there are indeed different opinions on what "holyness" and "saint" may mean.

Misj'

When I looked at the different concepts there was one who stood out (one that I did not expect when I drew them by the way), because I could come up with some sort of game-concept that fitted her looks, and that I found quite interesting. So before I present the sprite I would first like to share that idea with all of you.

Thus it is written
             Thus it shall be

Story: Deirdre is a self-proclaimed prophet in the country of Galbon; a country that is ruled by the most evil of kings. Then one morning she woke up and had this feeling...this feeling that it was her divine task to set out and find the new king. Armed with only the holy scripture she sets out on her journey through a world governed by evil.

Gameplay: All puzzles are conversation-based. And Deirdre will only use verses from scripture...sometimes she will mix up verses, and often she will use them out of context. But all in all she has a predefined set of sentences that she can use all the time. And depending on what she says, people will react differently and - hopefully - help her on her journey.

Main Character (Deirdre):

as for the different concepts; they don't represent specific people, but rather aspects of sainthood (in a broad sense of the word):
from left to right (top to bottom),
(1) the innocent (2) the assassin (3) the oracle
(4) the confident (5) the corrupt/sanctimonious
(6) the potion-maker (7) the bearer of 'the end is nigh'-sign (8) the 'angel' (9) the death

Some of them share the same story/world.

Crimson Wizard

11 hours left, I guess; if anyone would like to make an entry do it now.
I already forebode a difficult selection between two nice sprites  ???

Kastchey

A really quick entry to send something in before the deadline :)
x1

x4

Babar

Another quick entry to send something in before the deadline: ;D

x1 and x3

The Green one is said to have drunk from the Fountain of Age and Knowledge, giving him knowledge of hidden things, as well as an unnaturally long life. His sorrow at witnessing the fall of his people (until there is no memory or history of them ever existing) prompted him to withdraw from civilisation, but he is known to help travellers who have lost their way or people who are in total despair.
Thought to have originally come from Albion, the Green one later travelled to Asia, and is said to have even met Moses.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Crimson Wizard

Allright, competition ends, here are the winners.

A golden statuette , and the right to continue Sprite Jam, goes to Misj for an interesting and unusual character personality.

A silver statuette goes to Victor6 for skillful art.

A bronze (or rather copper, considering the wrong hue  ;D) statuette goes to Babar. I had hard time choosing between these two fast entries by Babar and Kastchey, but finally decided that Babar's is slightly more likable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk