[Open Source] AeroNuts v1.2 - now in español!

Started by abstauber, Thu 26/11/2009 08:26:41

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

My high score: 100650.

Cool game Dirk! The adventurey sections were small enough in scope that the puzzles didn't get too out of hand, and the arcadey sections were cool enough to make me want to wear my spacebar out  8)

Great graphics (as usual) and I really liked all the characters (particularly Stanley, who had me laughing).

A couple of little suggestions:

Proof reading  ;)

Also, I got confused a bit by a few missing interactions:

Spoiler
Especially with the mascara, I realized I needed to throw it at the window, but it would have been nice if Elfie had said something like "That won't spread far enough like that" when using the mascara by itself
[close]

Still, very cool!

abstauber

Argh, I never made it beyond 100000  :o

I guess, these unhandled events can be tedious sometimes, but to be honest I haven't expected your missing interaction :) I'll add that as soon as I'm sending you a certain .trs file :)

But I'm glad that you had fun and finished it no time :D

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: abstauber on Sat 28/11/2009 11:09:18
Argh, I never made it beyond 100000  :o

I play to win, folks  8)

:D

Edit: Also! Don't know how I forgot to mention this earlier, but:

Great music, DrewCCU!

Helme

Wow! You made into the top-download-list of this week. Congratulations!

Maybe I should start making games with cute girls as protagonists instead of stinky, hairy guys with bad teeth.

OneDollar

Very good game. The graphics are amazing, the music is brilliant and the characters are interesting. Putting in arcade sequences was probably a bit of a gamble as there's plenty of people on these forums who don't like action games, but personally I thought they added really well to the game. Definitely a good idea to put them in-between standard adventuring sections though. The puzzle sections were pretty good too.

A few bugs I noticed (I was playing version 1.01, so these may have been fixed already)
Spoiler
- While quizzing Stanley about where your dad is, you can say "I'm looking for my dad" at any time which opens up the "Do you know where he is" option again, even if you've opened up the "Dear pride of creation" option, or already found out where he is.
- If you use the mascara on the doggy bag then use the bag with mascara on the bottle, Elfie says "That won't do any good". It works the other way around though.
- After Elfie puts the clipboards down on the ship, she can pick them up again
- Several times in the arcade sequences I died, re-spawned, then immediately died again (re-spawned on top of something). This might (or might not) have been due to me cranking the game speed up to its highest setting on a second play through?
[close]
Also the way dialogue paused the action sequences got annoying after a while, especially when you get hit.

Anyway, a really high quality entry, I enjoyed it a lot. My highscore was 99500 on my first play through. Not quite Ben's level, but not too far off.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Backgrounds and sprites look magically delicious!  And minigames, too?  Wow, did you make this game JUST FOR ME or what?

:-*

abstauber

@OneDollar
Hey, thanks for your nice words!
Yeah, adding an arcade sequence, not 100% balanced and polished is indeed somehow risky. But I like them way too much, and to be honest: as those games like 1942/3 were new, I begged, that one day I could land on a carrier and explore it :)
But I'm relieved that not all people have trouble playing it. And today I've reached 98000 somewhat... I'm cathing up :D

@ProgZmax

;D

Travis Anthony

My final score was 110850.
The difficult we do immediately.  The impossible takes a little longer.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

After playing through it and having fun I have to agree with Steve that the collisions could use some work.  Also, I think having the dialog pop up each time you're hit and resetting your position is far more trouble than any benefit it may provide because:

1.  It pulls you out of the action briefly
2.  It moves your ship back to the center, where I would frequently find myself on top of a bullet or enemy and be hurt again.

Fixing these would make the shooter aspect the strongest I've seen in an ags game and worth possibly making a separate game about!

Great work, man!

DrWhite

I finally had time to finish it. I really enjoyed the genre combination, It somehow feels like the kind of game I´d like to make if I wouldn´t suck at scripting ... well done.

PS: setting down the game speed in adventure mode easily gave me a score of 103700, while on the first try, when I had the game speed at maximum, the acarde passage was hardly playable.

abstauber

@Travis Anthony
Impressive Score :D

@ProgZmax
Wow, thanks for your feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed this little show :)

Yeah, the missing background speech as well as the player's position reset is something I should change quite soon.
I've also planned an arcade mode which is being onlocked after you finish the game the first time. Let's see if I can do it this week.

@Dr.White
Good to know, that there are some action fans around (some goes for ProgZ of course)   8)
Thanks for hint with the gamespeed as well. I think I'll reset it to 40 during the arcade sequence.
My to-do keeps filling and filling :)

Man, I really need to reach the upper 100.000.... :D

Nissan123

Nice Game! My final score was 110620.

DrWhite

Ha! My new highscore is 141050. I think it´s time to confess that I´m mainly here because I thought that AGS means Acarde Game Studio  ;D

DrewCCU

@ Ben304 and OneDollar

thank you guys for your  comments towards my music. I'm just happy abstauber asked me to compose for him.
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Khris

Just finished it, lovely game, very impressive, especially considering the short production time!

I'm not sure what I did, but when I first ran it, I somehow skipped over the
Spoiler
airport part and found myself at the carrier, with the mascara in my inventory.
[close]
I was able to get to the arcade sequence but even when I got to the boss at 70% health, I couldn't beat it.
Then I read about 1.02 and downloaded it and this time, everything was fine. Weird.

Edit: about the collision detection: just use two boxes, one for the wings and one for the fuselage.

abstauber

@Dr. White
Wow - for how long have you encountered the baron!? Totally insane score, congrats on that! ;D
I bet you'll like the "arcade only" mode, coming up with v1.1. Or you won't like it, since you've already mastered the game ;)

@DrewCCU
And I'm still amazed how great it sounds :)

@Khris
Hehe thanks. I'm currently switching to pixel-perfect detection, although your hint seems to be far easier to implement.
About skipping the airport. I've added some debug modes and it seems that you've triggered one of those. However you did it :)

About the boss fight
Spoiler
You have to fight the baron parts in a certain order
[close]

abstauber

Hey everyone! I've just uploaded v1.1 which adds a lot polishing to the arcade part.

First of all, thanks again for your bug reports. I hope I've fixed them all - or at least I've tried :D

Now the arcade-part has a very fair, pixel-perfect collision detection, so bullet dodging is actually fun again. You can also keep the space-bar pressed for autofire and best of all: bombs  :=

There's also an "arcade-only" mode you can unlock by completing the game once. After that you can directly access the arcade part, also all cutscenes are skipped. And for, that you'll need the bombs ;)

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sun 29/11/2009 03:21:20
Also, I think having the dialog pop up each time you're hit and resetting your position is far more trouble than any benefit it may provide because ...
Done :D
Speech is now in background and there's a shield, which keeps you save for about a second.

And the comma-count has been cut in half ;) Thanks for the proof-reading, Ben!

Ilyich

What a lovely little game! Pretty graphics, adorable protagonist, arcade mini-game and an evil russian communsit-aristocrat(!) who wants to take over the world. What else can one ask for? Maybe, a dead squirrel? Oh, wait!
Very nice way to spend half an hour, thanks! :)

abstauber

If there will ever be a retail version of Aeronuts, I'll print your comment on the box ;D
Thanks for your nice words and welcome to the board by the way!

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: abstauber on Thu 03/12/2009 18:00:26
And the comma-count has been cut in half ;) Thanks for the proof-reading, Ben!

Dozens of innocent commas were mercilessly slain in what is being referred to by historians as "The Proof Read".  :D

My pleasure, Dirk :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk