MAGS December: End Times Christmas Stories(Winner Announced)

Started by Dualnames, Wed 02/12/2009 11:13:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: End Times Christmas Stories:

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner Abstauber:

Tell your favourite christmas story in a post-apocalyptic scenario.
You are free whether to choose an existing story (e.g. Space Scrooge) or come up with something with your own.
Your end-time scenario can be a waterworld, a nuclear desert or the last remains of a space colony. It can also differ from these proposals, but it must be clear that a disaster has changed the word order completely and it must be a common end-time scenario.

All games till the 28th.

Thread Rules:

1)  Comments are allowed at all times but should be hidden before and while the voting.

2)  Partecipators are allowed to patch their games even while the voting but I should be informed via pm or here, and only IF the game has a serious bug that makes it crash. Due to the inability of keeping track of versions of the games, I've settled to this.

So you can patch your game, if it crashes or if it can't be completed.

Have fun this month too!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Umm.. that's a bit discriminative ;); I don't have a habit to celebrate Christmas (and in Russia it is celebrated in January by the way, according to some date system differences) and I don't know any Christmas stories (let alone having favorite one) nor ours, nor european ones, except for mentioned  Scrooge's one, which I recall only in a form shown in Walt Disney's "Duck Tales", I think :P.

EDIT: Oh wait! I know what story we need here.  ;D

EDIT2: Oh wait #2. I am idiot. I think I recall some local Christmas stories......

abstauber

QuoteUmm.. that's a bit discriminative
True, but it's also an unwritten rule that December's MAGS is Christmas MAGS.
So my hands were pretty much tied ;) 

But I think the rules are loose enough for you  to come with something.

If you're not exactly into christmas, I'm sure you'll something from H.C. Andersen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fir_Tree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Match_Girl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snow_Queen

Dataflashsabot

Father Christmas counts as a 'Christmas Story' right? If so, I have an idea...

Scarab

I imagine there is some fun to be had with this topic  ;D

poc301

lol Futurama = win

I have thoughts of santa and his reindeer dodging missiles as they try to land in a war-torn wasteland..

Or the Grinch running from zombies as he tries to steal christmas.

Or Santa -vs- Jesus in a battle for supremacy destroying the planet...  (Think Spirit of Christmas, the South Park pilot episode).

I won't be entering this one because I want to keep going on Murran 3, so if anyone wants any of these ideas, I'd love to see it hehe.

-Bill

SomeSickSelf

That's kinda funny, one of the themes I had considered if I won back in October was an end times sort of thing (albeit slightly different and far less festive than Abstauber's idea  ;) ).

Hopefully I'll have the time to do another MAGS this month.  I kind of missed it in November but I was much too busy.

What's our deadline duals?  I hear in the past it's been changed due to Christmas and all.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 02/12/2009 13:37:49

If you're not exactly into christmas, I'm sure you'll something from H.C. Andersen.

Yeah right, Kay and Gerda fighting versus hordes of zombies in the nuclear desert...  :P

abstauber

@Crimson
For the Ice Queen I'd suggest to focus more on polar melting :D

@Dataflashsabot
Totally :)

discordance

Awesome, I call Christmas of the Zombies  ;)

Helme

DrewCCU

I enjoyed being involved in last months mags as the composer for Aeronuts ... and since christmas music is very fun for me i would be willing to help someone who needs a composer for this months competition.  Just PM me ... first come fist serve ...

good luck guys ... im excited to see these games.
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

None

=_= how many people are really going to make zombie apocalypses
Show of hands...
I was halfway through a game draft lol.

But this genre sounds like so much fun, I'm in, but my sister's having a baby so it may be close!

(and to clarify, I think that 'winter holiday' will fit in general just to be p.c?)

Ryan Timothy B

Nah, I'm not going to make a post apocalypse Christmas game.  The rules didn't fit my already thought out Christmas storyline.  So I'm hoping to just make a Christmas game that isn't a mags.  We'll see how that turns out. :P

Scarab

Quote from: ShonenAiGuy on Thu 03/12/2009 01:15:59
I think that 'winter holiday' will fit in general just to be p.c?

Oh, discriminating against Australians are we? I see how it is...  :P

Pinback

Quote from: Scarab on Thu 03/12/2009 09:29:43
I think that 'winter holiday' will fit in general just to be p.c?

Oh, discriminating against Australians are we? I see how it is...  :P

Yeah, down here christmas makes you sweat! Father christmas must either don boardshorts this side of the equator, or suffer heatstroke. Also he shaves the reindeer.

Wonkyth

Yeah, I've always felt the need to shave the velvety ones people put up around canberra. :D
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

ThreeOhFour

(and to clarify, I think that 'winter holiday' will fit in general just to be p.c?)

And to dang well think I was telling you about the fact that we have Christmas in the summer not two weeks ago, Charles!  >:(

Tsk tsk tsk  8)

zabnat

The only Christmas story I can think of is the Christmas Carol and it's hardly my favorite. So anyone know a place with some Christmas stories to choose from?

abstauber

Why not searching amazon for christmas stories?
After you've found something interesting, look it up at wikipedia for the details :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk