Russian MAGS

Started by Sledgy, Fri 04/12/2009 13:33:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 30/12/2009 13:48:14
What is it with you guys! It's not that you're not making the bit of sense, it's not that you;re ripping game graphics, but why sort of try to run a parallel competition?  Everyone is welcome on MAGS!
Dualnames, I think main problem there is that most people who participate in RuMAGS don't know english language too well to use it in the international MAGS. AFAIK all the RuMAGS games are translated to english by Sledgy after initial release.

neon

What is it with you guys! It's not that you're not making the bit of sense, it's not that you;re ripping game graphics, but why sort of try to run a parallel competition?  Everyone is welcome on MAGS!

Maybe they do it exactly because the guidelines of the original MAGS doesn't allow the usage of previously released material.

Dualnames

Quote from: neon on Wed 30/12/2009 14:00:30

Maybe they do it exactly because the guidelines of the original MAGS doesn't allow the usage of previously released material.

I do recall people have used ripped graphics on MAGS game befores, isn't that right?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

neon

Maybe, but the guidelines tell something different.

Dualnames

Quote from: neon on Wed 30/12/2009 14:38:04
Maybe, but the guidelines tell something different.

Curse the guidelines all I say. If somebody wants to make a ripped MAGS game he should and he has. Vince did with Anna. It has ripped-and-edited graphics doesn't?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

I was using ripped music both times I participated )

neon

Well, I don't say that it hasn't been done before. But when I would have the idea to enter the competition and read the guidelines, I wouldn't use ripped material.

All I say is, that it could be that they didn't enter the competition because they thought that they couldn't enter with ripped backgrounds.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Anna was a product of OROW 2, Dualnames.

Also, maybe you should see if Klaus had a good reason behind the rules before dismissing them?

As far as using the ripped sprites as an argument against joining MAGS it's rather a weak one.  Anyone who can run AGS has access to Paint at least, and anyone who can script a game in ags is at least capable of USING Paint.  To be honest, in the RuMAGS games I've played I've seen a lot of custom drawn sprites that looked at least as good as the backgrounds, some of which didn't look ripped to me at all.  

Bottom line is it's not really adequate justification to start another competition and I suspect there's more to it than that.

Dualnames

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 31/12/2009 00:02:50
Anna was a product of OROW 2, Dualnames.

Also, maybe you should see if Klaus had a good reason behind the rules before dismissing them?

As far as using the ripped sprites as an argument against joining MAGS it's rather a weak one.  Anyone who can run AGS has access to Paint at least, and anyone who can script a game in ags is at least capable of USING Paint.  To be honest, in the RuMAGS games I've played I've seen a lot of custom drawn sprites that looked at least as good as the backgrounds, some of which didn't look ripped to me at all.  

Bottom line is it's not really adequate justification to start another competition and I suspect there's more to it than that.

I stand corrected, and I'm not dismissing anything, but I think it's "wrong" to create a community inside another, when we can merge. That's all.

Sledgy

Well, RuMAGS is MAGS in Russian language) There're not many games in this lang., and not many Russian AGSers, so main purpose of "Russian MAGS" is creating new AGSers and new Russian AGS games.

Of course then I'll translated it to English (what I can), but there're a bit differents with original MAGS:

1. Not month limit, just week or two week as maximum.
2. Russian sense of text and actions (sort of national humor)
3. And many Russian AGSers for now don't know English and don't want to know)) it. Because all of them wanna Russian games, not English.

So MAGS and RuMAGS are different things of one idea. Any of Russian AGSers then maybe'll take a part in MAGS, e.g., Crimson Wizard. But I don't think there'll be many of them.

For now there're just about 30 Russian AGS games in our archive (not only RuMAGS). So it's main reason.

Dualnames

Well, at least ask for the moderators to allow you to start this on competitions and activities then.

Well, I tried to merge the both competitions, but well, it's okay with me if you guys do what you.. do.

Cheers, James.

Gilbert

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 04/01/2010 12:15:42
Well, at least ask for the moderators to allow you to start this on competitions and activities then.

In fact this thread was originally there and it was me who moved it here. And no, I don't think an activity limited to a small group of people ('small' in the sense that it's not available to most members of the community) could qualify as an official activity, at least not now.

Dualnames

Quote from: Gilbet V7000a on Mon 04/01/2010 13:22:04
Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 04/01/2010 12:15:42

In fact this thread was originally there and it was me who moved it here. And no, I don't think an activity limited to a small group of people ('small' in the sense that it's not available to most members of the community) could qualify as an official activity, at least not now.

I just suggested that they do. Whether they'll end up there or not, is really up to you.

Sledgy

So, there're last ones for now.

RuMAGS #5: State secrets

Topicleader: SamosWork

Winner: SamosWork, too

Places:

1. Base6-12 (by SamosWork)

download: -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6-

Description: You're guy who got in intro carcrash, so you're in some forest and there's a secret soviet bunker near this place.

2. Normal Day (by Sledgy)

download

Description: You're scientist who meet problems in Half Life style ;)

3. Metro: Mystery of Black Corridor (by adm244)

download: -1- -2-

Description: Some fine story of one detective in the mysterious Russian metro. It's the first completed game from this author.

4. Revolutionary Quest (by salewa)

download: -1- -2- -3-

Description: New crazy trash game from this strange and fun guy :) By the way, it's the last his work. Cool music, "somnambulant atmosphere", like "Robo Quest', but more "roboquested" ;)

RuMAGS #6: Detective  story in Agatha Christie's style

Places:

1. Darkness (by adm244)

download

Description: Dark story about young people in the picnic and some unknown manjack (classic genre, yep?). You play for one of this guys, who became *alone* in this scary place.

2. Space Quest: Contest (by mighty might)

download

Description: There're many "rogers" guys, 'cause it's Roger (EGO?) masked party! But then some *hit happened, and you (one of Roger) must find, which masked Roger was kill true Roger?.. There's easy pencil graphic.

3. 4 Days a Detective (demo) (by Slash Vohaul)

download

Description: Yeah, it's game in Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw's style. Slash Vohaul, imho, is amazing ags-creator. But alas he didn't finish this game. So, in it you're some fun detective guy, who came to some house. And you met with strange murders. You understand someone of guys in the room does it, but who?

4. Deeds & Death (alpha demo-version ;)) (by TERNOX)

download: -1- -2-

Description: It's photo-quest with many dialogs and in fact it's not so interactive quest, generally it's *engine* for photo-quest. It's end in room of victim of murder. You're a lawyer hired by victim's wife to find killer. So someone in victim's work company did this bad thing. You talk with them, and you must explore who was he, or she.

RuMAGS #7: Hard student's life

Places:

1. musical 'Students' (by SamosWork)

download

Description: Nice game from the great author. There's some crud plot (in students' style) and fun Russian characters. Really interesting thing, you must create present for you neighboor (some chinese soup), but in fact you haven't any money and things for it, so... let's quest!

2. An Ordinary Day (demo) (by mighty might)

download

Description: Again clones of one guy xD But really this game is more cooler than SQ Contest. There's almost professional voiceing, cool selfmade graphics and nice realistic atmosphere. But it's demo, and in the first room there's some bad things (no music, a bit hard solution moment). But in next rooms you see nice Russian institute ^^ (maybe quite nice))

3. Third place has two games at once

Johnny Cage. Protege (by Sledgy)

download

Description: Ahem, parody trash game with action-time puzzles. Strangely, but seems the first level is the hardest level in game O_o Almost nobody can solute it. But in fact it's easy, in every level you must find tactics for solve situation (kill enemy and sorta). Btw, Johnny Cage is MK character, yes. But this game isn't so "mortal kombat" parody, although I used several guys from it. In fact it's just parody to several games, and I created it for lulz.

So, Johnny is a student of some movie colledge here. And he must pass some "mortal exams" for become real actor.

Student Dream (by adm244)

download

Description: Really this game looks like previous one, I mean same action elements (but in the next rooms). You're student... although not, you found yourself in ... your student's dream. Mystical and strange. So you must find a way to get out here.

In the game there's "nice bug moment" - in some monitors player can't see anything in the first room. I mean, player is dropped to dark. But really (see screenshot) you must see gray room. So if you see darkness only, maybe your monitor is old, but you can try bright up picture by software function (in Control Panel of Windows) or maybe by hardware in monitor settings (I tried and had no results; only software way worked for me).

In fact, Johnny has more scores from juries. But some of juries just has problem with monitor and can't play with adm244's game! So I solve both these games are in one level of places.

4. Institute Adventures (by Andrey200895)

download

Description: It's really simple game, with simple handmade (MS Paint) graphics. It's the first not so-very-small work from author. But it's small game anyway. And it's trash game) But I liked it, it's not crazy crud, like previously RuMAGS's trash games. Maybe if Andrey should use other's graphics and create more bigger quest, it'd be very fun & cool, but alas.

For exiting room just go to door.

See the first post, there'll be all Russian AGS games. And I planned to translated all of them to English.

RuMAGS #7 is the last one. We decide get a big break.

Another, but joke competition

Random Games #1

Four people create one stuff for future game.

1-draw 3 backgrounds
2-draw 3 characters
3-create game intro
4-create game scenario

And no-one of them know what is another member of development do it. i.e. four guys create stuff for game *separately*, without discussing.

And fifth guy (leader, ags-maker) then mix their works to one game in AGS.

p.s. Also all four guys get some instructions for their works, e.g. type of drawing characters (what animal or man, etc).

So we create the first game with

1-Crimson Wizard
2-Legato
3-Boberr
4-SamosWork

(5-Sledgy)

Random Game #1. Strange, but really fun and "questable" game.

While in Russian only.

Sledgy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk