TOOL: Dialog Designer - Version 1.3.0 (2017-05-24) - Direct Editor Export

Started by AJA, Sun 13/12/2009 00:17:02

Previous topic - Next topic

zabnat

Quote from: AJA on Sun 13/12/2009 00:17:02
Oh, maybe the ability to convert normal dialog speech lines to some other format, like Character.Say calls, during export? That's very much possible with Dialog Designer.
Oh why oh why didn't I find this thread earlier. I just converted all the lines from dialog editor to Character.Say calls in dialog_request.
And on this topic. What about the ability to still use dialog designer after they are converted this way?

AJA

You mean you want to use Character.Say calls in a dialog and have those lines appear in the preview? In that case, I suppose Display calls should be supported as well. I'll think about it.

zabnat

What about custom calls. I have a custom speaking function (that's why I had to convert dialogs to function calls).

AJA

That's kind of why there's the ability to convert the lines for export. For example, if you want different lines to be spoken with a different speaking animation you could do this:

1. Create your speech function: Character.SayStyle( string text, SpeechStyle style )

2. Include the style in your dialog lines, for example:
Code: ags
ego-eSpeechHappy: I'm happy!
ego-eSpeechSad: Well, not that happy.

3. Write the line conversion regular expressions: (these might be buggy)
Search pattern:
(?<name>[^:-]+)-(?<style>[^:]*):\s*(?<line>.+)

Replacement pattern:
  c${name}.SayStyle("${line}", ${style});

Now, the lines will be converted automatically to:

cEgo.SayStyle("I'm happy!", eSpeechHappy);
  cEgo.SayStyle("Well, not that happy.", eSpeechSad);

I don't think it's really worth the extra work to have the ability to define your own custom speaking functions just to support them in the preview, which is exactly why I added the conversion feature. Actually, I don't think it's documented in the help file but the conversion only works if the line format is: "[text]:[more text]".

Tanique

Just wanted to say THANK YOU!  This is a great little piece of software and makes dialog writing so much easier.  Keep up the good work!

AJA

Ah, there's nothing like a cup of bugs in the evening.

I've uploaded a new version that fixes a couple of bugs I noticed a few hours ago. Download v1.1.1!

Changes:
- Fixed crash with empty fields in the variable window.
- Fixed dialog option drag & drop: when dropping below the current place on the same level, the option was moved one place too far.

AJA

It's been almost exactly four months since the last update, and after a long hiatus I started working on a game project and discovered a bug, which is now fixed. I've been waiting for an excuse to bump this thread. :)

Here's the new version: Download v1.1.2!

Changes:
- Fixed crash when the same variable was used multiple times in a condition.

-Edit-

Another one! Download v1.1.3!

Changes:
- Fixed isOff being exported to "equals eOptionOff" instead of "not eOptionOn".

RedTalon

www.redtalongames.com
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/redtalongames

AJA

Happy to hear that, RedTalon!

Bug report: It's possible to move a dialog option above or below the "Start" node, which results in an error. Avoid doing that. I'll get it fixed when I can... unless I forget.

Wersus

Are you still working on this? I'm using a custom say function, so this seems like something that I should be using, but I do have a few suggestions:

- Add settings so that the defaul option-off after every line can be turned off (I want to turn off options quite rarely, so it kinda sucks)
- Add an option to include the dialog option texts on to the script side. For example I want the character to say the options, but as I'm using a custom Say() function, I have to copy-paste these by hand.

Otherwise seems like a really neat program, so thanks :)

AJA

Thanks!

I haven't worked on this for a while since it already did all I needed it to do and was stable enough. And also because not many people seemed to be very interested in it.

Quote from: Wersus on Sat 22/01/2011 15:23:41
- Add settings so that the defaul option-off after every line can be turned off (I want to turn off options quite rarely, so it kinda sucks)

Sure.

- Add an option to include the dialog option texts on to the script side. For example I want the character to say the options, but as I'm using a custom Say() function, I have to copy-paste these by hand.

This functionality actually exists already but it's quite limited. You can set the option text to be the first line of dialogue (in format character: woot!) by right clicking the script and selecting "Replace title with first line". I'll change it so that the first line can be either anything-here: line or whatever..."line"...and no more quotes after this. Then it should work in most cases.

I have some free time right now, so I'll see if I can fix these pronto.

AJA

Done. Automatic option-off can be turned off in the export settings window. Give it a go and do tell if something's not working as it's supposed to.

Download v1.2!

Wersus

TheMagician

A year has passed since the last post in this topic so I'm not sure if AJA is still around and able to update this.

First of all I have to say that I really like the program. It has lots of useful functions and will definitely make dialog scripting much easier.
However, whenever I export a dialog to AGS the program tells me that it has not been tested with this version of AGS (3.2.1).
The imported dialogs work as I would expect. Still, is there any risk of breaking my game using the dialog editor?

Secondly, is there a way to import a dialog while AGS is running? As far as I can tell you always have to close AGS, then import the dialog, then open AGS again to see the dialog. Are there any other dialog editors that have been fully integrated into AGS' user interface?

Thanks a lot for your work AJA.  :)

AJA

Wow. Someone's using this. Thanks, I'm glad you find it useful! :D

QuoteStill, is there any risk of breaking my game using the dialog editor?
QuoteSecondly, is there a way to import a dialog while AGS is running?

I haven't come across any problems so far but it's a possibility. I don't think there's any problem using it with AGS 3.2.1. The export to AGS function just modifies the Game.agf xml file and adds/replaces dialogs. And if I remember correctly, it makes a backup so if anything goes wrong, no permanent harm is done. That's also why you can't currently export while AGS is running.

QuoteAre there any other dialog editors that have been fully integrated into AGS' user interface?

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, part of the reason why there's no editor plugin version of this is that AGS editor plugins can't modify dialog scripts. At least I found no way of doing that. Now that the editor is open source, it would be possible to change this but I guess the powers that be must first organize the open source AGS project somehow. :P So yeah, I don't think there are any dialog editor plugins out there yet.

If you find any problems or have ideas for improvement, I'd be happy to see what I can do when I have some time to spare. Though I am a bit afraid of seeing how big of a mess the source code is. :)

TheMagician

Thanks a lot for your reply and for the information. Nice to see that you're still around  :)

Right now, I'm perfectly happy with how the dialog editor works. So far there have been no errors in the imported dialogs so perhaps you can get around and just release a version which doesn't give the warning on export for AGS 3.2.1 but then again that's not really worth the trouble.

SpeechCenter

Quote from: AJA on Mon 26/03/2012 22:29:26
QuoteAre there any other dialog editors that have been fully integrated into AGS' user interface?

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, part of the reason why there's no editor plugin version of this is that AGS editor plugins can't modify dialog scripts. At least I found no way of doing that. Now that the editor is open source, it would be possible to change this but I guess the powers that be must first organize the open source AGS project somehow. :P So yeah, I don't think there are any dialog editor plugins out there yet.
You probably tried to change Dialog.Text which is read only.
Dialog.script is editable and changes the dialog (just tried it).

AJA

Another problem was (I was trying to make an importer plugin) that I couldn't add dialogs and update the project tree. The new dialogs weren't even saved with the game. Do you know if this also was because of my stupidity?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk