Thom Yorke of Radiohead gatecrashes Copenhagen climate talks

Started by Ali, Fri 18/12/2009 21:37:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

It seems the Radiohead singer posed as a member of the press to gain access to the Cophenhagen climate talks. He talks about them with a lucidity that is rare in musicians talking about important issues. There's a short interview with him on the BBC website, and I thought some people around here might be interested:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8419641.stm

What's worrying is, he says, "you've just got to try to be positive". When Radiohead's message is "be positive", the situation must be pretty dire!

kaputtnik

Well, it just looks like a meaningful agreement for a historical future has been reached. Everybody agrees that even though China can not be bullied into agreeing to anything, they did the best they could.

The whole thing has been blown up into a new clash of super powers, USA on the one end, China on the other one, blaming each other to be the climate killers and nature haters.

Gordon Brown: "If we cannot reach an agreement, it would be right for me and others to put forward proposals about how we move forward. If we do not succeed in getting agreement, I will have other proposals about how to proceed.”
I, object.

ThreeOhFour

I refuse to consider video games a major industry until "celebrities" from the business (such as Tim Schafer) start using their influence to delve into politics  :=

I'd totally attend a political rally if Chris Avellone (or indeed Warren Spector) was a key speaker  8)

Matti

Quote from: Ali on Fri 18/12/2009 21:37:42
What's worrying is, he says, "you've just got to try to be positive".

Trying to be positive is like totally ignoring the fact that even though we know about climate change since decades, nothing significant happens and I don't understand at all why people in interviews say that they had "high expactations" about the summit in copenhagen. Why should politicians suddenly care? Why now? There has been so much hipocritical talk over years and so few actions were taken that I can't help but being completely pessimistic when it comes to the health of mother earth and us, whos lives depend on an intact nature.

The Bedminster Incident

It was a bit hard for me to get what he was saying, but from what I understood, didn't he say he snuck in in order to get positive proof that there's actually something happening "behind the scenes?"

/tbi
A la fin, il y aura seulement de la beauté.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk