The Hunt For Shaun Binda

Started by Danman, Mon 21/12/2009 23:06:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Danman

This is my first game (But made from an empty template) I have actually completed it.
But I can not upload it yet cause my internet is too slow
and so I am just editing things so here you go this is what I got.

The censored bit is just a guy in blood so I just censored it.(there is no leisure suit Larry here   := )

Story:You start has Lisa ( My sister) in a night club monoko and you have to talk to Shaun Binda before you can leave. That's about it  :D . There is more but you can see when you play it   ;D

This is just what I might edit.
- graphics 90%
- puzzles 100% (Cause there is no puzzles)
- scripting 90%
- music/sound 100%

I put a quite a lot of effort into this game. It is a Christmas present for my sister.  8)
If anybody can give me some idea's of turning 58Mb into 5mb or less please pm me.  ;)
And if anybody would like to help me with the visual feel free to pm me. Thanks

Peder 🚀

What type of files is the graphic files in your game?
(backgrounds, characters, sprites).

If they are .bmp files you can easily get rid of alot of mb by changing them too .png for example!

Calin Leafshade

I think AGS compresses them anyway, so it doesnt matter about the file format.

DrWhite

I think the two biggest influences on a game´s size are the screen-resolution used and the music.
A game in 320x240 with midi-music will only have around 3mb, the same game in 640x480 with mp3-music can be around 20 or more.
So, if you use a lot of music, you could save your tracks as mono-mp3, as re-coding the game in a lower resolution may be too much of an effort.

Atelier

Nobody's commented on the actual game yet, so Danman, well done! The graphics are much improved than the ones you posted on CL, and the character sprites are fairly decent too.

PS. I'd offer to help tidy up the graphics, but then it wouldn't be all your work to give to your sister. If you like, I could help with the graphics before you create a profile in the game database, and after you've given it to your sister?

Helme

I noticed that the black guy on the second screen has orange eyes. I suspect this is not intended and you used white as the transparent colour and his eyes are now transperent, too.

ThreeOhFour

Nope, nope, this guy just understands the importance of having glowy eyes  :=

Danman

The problem why it is so big is cause I have made these drunk effects on the game which I made
with a program. Its like I think 10 frames of an animated background. and DrWhite : maybe the music is a problem too you
might have point there I there are mp3's The backgrounds are 640x400. There is quite a few animated scenes might be the issue like the start screen

and Helme: the black guy's eyes meant to be a bright red like red eyes  ;) just to give the uh.. character and Ben304 :  ;D . .
Peder Johnsen : I think Calin is right that AGS compresses that stuff I tested that by using .bmp then .gif and did no difference on the size. Also these pic's are all .gif anyway just to let you know   ;) .
Thanks so far for the replies  ;D

I can compress it to about 15mb but it is still too big. My internet is ridiculously slow I could maybe upload 5 mb that might take like the whole night. But if i get desperate I can wait till next month coz my uncle will be
getting broadband :D . I know its like I am from 1990's.

Edit: Just crossed out all the technical junk.

Darth Mandarb

Let's halt the game-size discussion in here!

Danman, post in the appropriate place for such discussion (or take it to PMs) and good luck figuring it out :)

Danman

Darth Mandarb yea your right I will add a thread to general discussion coz I don't know where else to put it. Thanks  ;D

(And please if anyone wants to comment on the actual game feel free to Thanks Danman  8) )

Darth Mandarb

No worries!  I just like to keep it clean and on target 'round here :)

I watched your backgrounds/art progress (in the critics lounge) and was happy to see you start a thread in here (and follow the rules!).  I think the game looks interesting and I'm sure your sis will love it!

Danman

I just updated my screenshot I forgot to change it to my edited background.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk