Background Blitz - Secret Hideout - Winner Announced!

Started by Matt Frith, Mon 04/01/2010 11:27:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Frith

Allright, the new background blitz will be entitled:

'SECRET HIDEOUT'

Let's see some backgrounds of a Master Evil World Super Genius' lair or your little treehouse in the woods (or something inbetween).

AGS compatible as usual.  Thats it!  Have fun :)

Entries by the 18th January

Oddysseus

Not an entry. :P  This comp just looked so lonely.

Jakerpot

What kind of evilness will the Evil Cave of Evil hide...

The entry of course is the colored (with gray) one.

Jim Reed

It's so secret, you can only see the entrance =P

Wonkyth

Nice, that makes me think Time Bandits for some reason. :P
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Jakerpot

This is coming to an end soon...
Veeery soon...
No more entries? Come on! SHOW ME UR FIRE!!!!!

Vukul

We have fire! (even in the background, incidentally  ;) )

Very nice hideout, because nobody will think there's something nasty behind that sooo cute house in the foreground  :)

Jakerpot

That's true, BUT, if you take a look to the sky... (just before you die)

For whom the bell tolls?

Matt Frith

Right, so it looks like there are no more entries so onwards with the voting.  I've nicked the voting categories from a previous blitz :D

Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere: Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design: How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest.
Functionality: How well it would work as a background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle (this also includes introductionary shots of an area as long as a player character can be present in the scene).
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better

Ready! Set! GO!

Jim Reed

Idea: Jakerpot - Nature beats concrete
Design: Jakerpot - Nice curves
Composition: Vukul - had better defined shapes
Functionality: Vukul - I think this BG is more suited for adventure gaming than Jakerpots
Technique: Vukul - Where are the shadows Jakerpot?

So, it's Vukul, but it was a close call.

Overall, Jakerpots BG seems not finished, while you could import Vukuls one and use it right away.

Vukul

Well, what I have to say about these...

I'd nominate Jakerpot for idea and design too, but still I think it's just a sketch, which needs to be worked upon before being implemented into a real game.

So, my vote goes for Reed's background. This b&w style really appeals to me, as it manages to keep all the details needed while being very simple. Also, it can be used in a game - this alien can be regarded as a model for a PC, and it looks OK.

*pity, but Oddysseus has put himself out of the competition - his background is just a good match for default Roger sprite  ;)  Moreover, it has some nice humour within*

Edit: I suppose, that I should eventually fill in the categories:

Idea: Jakerpot
Atmosphere: Jim Reed
Design: Jakerpot
Composition: Jim Reed
Functionality: Jim Reed
Technique: Jim Reed

Kastchey

Idea: Vukul - The idea is too funny not to get a vote.
Atmosphere: Jim Reed - Jakerpot also did fairly nice in this field, but I have a feeling that his background doesn't exactly match the idea. This cave looks more like a place where the local kids would play rather than an evil monster's hideout, and the twisted tree and the moonlight don't help against it.
Design: Jim Reed - This was a close call between Jim and Vukul, but I couldn't resist voting for that skull, rock and cactus plant. And shadows. And the mountains on the horizon.
Composition: Jim Reed - This could as well be titled "A pleasing whole" :)
Functionality: Jakerpot - His background simply asks for walking areas and hotspots.
Technique: Jim Reed - Simple, yeah, but flawless.

Ilyich

Idea: Vukul - absurd and original concept :)
Atmosphere: Jakerpot - very rhythmic and consistent style creates a nice/spooky ambience.
Design: Jim Reed - precise and striking.
Composition: Jim Reed - very well balanced and diverse enough to keep the viewer interested.
Functionality: Jim Reed - it already looks like an in-game screen.
Technique: Jim Reed - it's rendered perfectly within the chosen style, and the style is great.

Overall, very nice entries, well done!

Jim Reed

Tier pointed out to me that I didn't vote for the atmosphere. Sorry about that.

Atmosphere: Vukul - has this weird feeling about it, although it was a tough choice.

Matt Frith

I guess I should vote too!

Idea: Vukul  Super Villian logic never fails!
Atmosphere: Jim Reed.  You B&W certainly works well here.
Design: Jim Reed. I love the cactus and stylized shadows.
Composition: Jakerpot.  My eye was drawn towards the cave, which I guess is the focal point.
Functionality: Jakerpot.  The scene certainly would be ideal for an AGS game.  I would have voted for Vukul if the fence didnt render much of the background difficult to work with.
Technique: Jim Reed.  Your style is coming along nicely!

So, overall, Oddysseus Jim Reed pips my overall vote.  I did enjoy all the entries though :)

I'll probably end voting by the end of today (Thursday) so if there are more to come in, hurry up!

Atelier

Idea: Vukul
Atmosphere: Jakerpot
Design: Jim Reed
Composition: Jim Reed
Functionality: Jim Reed
Technique: Jakerpot

Darius Poyer

Its quite strange to be judging these four entries by six different categories. perhaps a bit overdone but ill give my votes.

For the best in idea, atmosphere, design, composition, functionality and technique, my vote is given to Jim Reed on all categories.

Matt Frith

Okay, voting over!

I declare Jim Reed the winner! YAYAAYAYAY
Well done to all the participants, they were all nice entries :)

So over to him for the next competition. Go!

Jim Reed

=) =) =) =) =D =D =D =D
YAAAY!!!!!!!!
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

I will post the next compo very soon. I'll even draw trophies!

Vukul

Congratulations, Jim! Well, the best work wins again  :)
Though, as it's seen from the votes - the winner was quite obvious (Oddysseus posed the only tough competition though  ;D )

Looking forward for the next topic for the BBlitz...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk