John Sinclair- Voodoo in London(NEW DEMO!)

Started by Digital Mosaic Games, Sun 17/01/2010 20:53:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim

Quote from: discordance on Wed 31/03/2010 22:46:53
Quote from: Frodo on Wed 31/03/2010 22:22:04
I'm also a woman,

the whole Sam thing finally makes sense

That's exactly what I thought!!!!!!

Anyway, female gamers are great. I only wish there was more of you:)

Digital Mosaic Games

The central plot from the demo, which is also the 1st Chapter from the game is complete. Now the Music, Soundeffects and Speech is missing. At the moment I´m on "bug-hunt" and probably I´ll very often test the game and let the game test.

Here´s a little bit "Making of-Stuff":

In many old Sierra Adventures Backgrounds, Characterportraits etc. were painted with the hand, scanned and intergrated in the game. I´ve tried this method now the first time on myself for the title screen of my project.

So, at first I drew it with pencil on paper:

Than I scanned the Drawing and printed it again a little bit more transparent because I don´t wanted any contures in the painting.
After a long time precise work the painting was finished(I used special comic-pens):

Than I´ve scanned the pic edited it added a background(Towerbrigde of London) and the Game title:

Finally I added Buttons and put everything in the game:

Do you think all the work is it worth for a 320x640-Screen?
I am quite content about the endproduct. The selfpainted Background has somehow a little bit more character. What do you think?

markbilly

Most certainly worth the effort! Looks great :)

NsMn

I'd say limit the colours a bit to get a more Sierra-esque look. (256 colours)

Captain Ricco

it looks awesome, very good

though, maybe you could make his face lines less dark/deep, like you did in the pencil one

he looks like he is a couple of hundred years old qhen colored :P

Puddleglum

This looks so great! I just played Gabriel Knight for the first time so I can't wait for this to come out  ;D Love the graphics and the story .. I'm also on a Gabriel kick right now ;)
Keep us posted!  :=

Digital Mosaic Games

Quote from: Captain Ricco on Sun 11/04/2010 21:40:03
it looks awesome, very good

though, maybe you could make his face lines less dark/deep, like you did in the pencil one

he looks like he is a couple of hundred years old qhen colored :P
You´re right. He looked a bit like a chain-smoker.
I changed the picture:

Quote from: NsMn on Sun 11/04/2010 18:45:50
I'd say limit the colours a bit to get a more Sierra-esque look. (256 colours)
Can you tell me how I can change the colors to 256?(with Photoshop or Game Maker-Sprite Editor or another program)?

Chicky

Image-mode-indexed colour-perceptual.

In PS ;) Your game looks great btw!

splat44

Nice Graphics!

I've replayed demo and found another thing:

Spoiler
When sitting down on banch (police station) and while in inventory we see main character standing when reading news paper (right-click) instead of sitting down
[close]

I know this maybe hard to fix and hopefully others can provide feedback.

Were there other works done on demo since 2nd past post?

Digital Mosaic Games

Quote from: splat44 on Wed 14/04/2010 03:04:00
Nice Graphics!

Spoiler
When sitting down on banch (police station) and while in inventory we see main character standing when reading news paper (right-click) instead of sitting down
[close]

Thank you I know where the problem is.
Other works? Of course!
I´ve made a lot for the new Demo. It´s not the same story. And so there are many other graphics and animations for the new Demo. I think the ones who played the first (unofficial) Demo will notice all the diffrences.

Digital Mosaic Games

He looked a bit too red I thought. So I changed his skin a bit:

Do you think it was better before?

Captain Ricco

Oh!
I was just gonna suggest that. it looks a lot better now!

Frodo

I didn't think anything was wrong with his skin before.
But now that you changed it, I do think it looks a lot better.

:)

Kweepa

I think it's all a bit flat.
Here's a rough lighting pass:

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

splat44

Quote from: NEON-GAMES on Thu 15/04/2010 22:38:30
Quote from: splat44 on Wed 14/04/2010 03:04:00
Nice Graphics!

Spoiler
[close]

Thank you I know where the problem is.
Other works? Of course!
I´ve made a lot for the new Demo. It´s not the same story. And so there are many other graphics and animations for the new Demo. I think the ones who played the first (unofficial) Demo will notice all the diffrences.

Super! I am looking forward to the new demo and I'm glad you figured out the problem.

Digital Mosaic Games

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sat 17/04/2010 07:22:35
I think it's all a bit flat.
Here's a rough lighting pass:

Thank you! I was about to change this. I´ve made the shadow on his skin:

Snarky

You've done lots of good art for this game (which looks really promising), but this one has some problems, I think.

Now it looks like you've given him a shiner (black eye) on his right eye (i.e. our left).   :'(

The other thing that stands out is that the pupils are very uneven. His right eye has a larger pupil (particularly because it looks like you can only see about half of it, while only the top sliver is hidden by his left eyelash), and it has a touch of red to it (why? is he bleeding?).

I would also question the anatomy of that fleshy fold that curves down from the left side of his nose, over his cheek and under his lips.

The basic form is good, the pose is good and dramatic, and you have a nice technique, but your shading doesn't really seem to show grasp of the facial geometry. You'd be better served by following Steve's example more closely, and by focusing less on small wrinkles than on areas of light and shade.

Similarly, there's something really strange going on with that wrist, and the emphasis on deep, harsh wrinkles makes it look wizened and ugly.

(I realize this isn't the critics lounge, but it looks like we've got into a critique of this image and that it's welcome, so I thought I'd add my two cents.)

Darth Mandarb

Okay, yeah ... please take the critics/paint-overs/etc into the Critics Lounge.  This has gotten a bit out of hand in here.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sat 17/04/2010 16:10:21
Okay, yeah ... please take the critics/paint-overs/etc into the Critics Lounge.  This has gotten a bit out of hand in here.
Doesn't the forum software support topic splitting?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Darth Mandarb

Yup, but that has bad results in cases like this because some posts have on-topic comments and off-topic (critics) so removing some, and not others (leaving some critics in for image(s) that no longer exist in the thread), leads to confusion which then leads to more off-topic posts asking about the confusion.  So the simple solution, stop critiquing in here and take it into the Critics Lounge where it belongs :)

now ... back on topic folks.

PS - anymore questions about this can be directed to me via PM to prevent further cluttering up this thread!  thanks :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk