Good Morning, Mister Gingerbread

Started by Humbolt Steelwheels, Sun 31/08/2008 22:39:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Humbolt Steelwheels

I'm proud to announce the completion of the first adventure game I've worked on, Good Morning, Mister Gingerbread.

In this game, you fill the non-existent shoes of the dubiously animate Mister Gingerbread as he attempts to prevent the notorious Qlaskian criminal known only as Pirate Shakespeare from robbing the apartment he shares with his lethargic roommate, Creeps the Bird. The game itself is fairly short, but there's quite a bit to examine in each room.

Attempt to convince Pirate Shakespeare to leave!

Examine largely irrelevant objects scattered around MGB's apartment!

Listen to the confused rambling of Creeps the Bird!

Examine hopefully relevant objects cluttering your inventory!

The rar file below (2.57 MB) contains the game and its manual:
gmmgb.rar
(FileFront download)

I welcome comments about the game, and I hope those who give it a shot find it enjoyable.

Humbolt Steelwheels

Dualnames

Ok, first the intro is quite likeable, the graphics at least from what I can understand have this style by choice and not need, which is good. But I think gingerbread should have four views. Left/right/up Down. Cool game nevertheless I enjoyed playing it for a couple of minutes.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

IndieBoy

Nice looking intro, but a lot of talk. Also some nice ideas, but it seems very cluttered and therefore confusing. Hence I gave up on the game.

Ps apology accepted  :P
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

kaputtnik

This game rocks quite hard! It's all in it: Diametrical (or even asynchronous?) storytelling, character development in several directions, elegant mixture of a whole conglomerate of graphics styles and jolly interaction responses. Hint: read the game and don't complain about the text.

Humbolt Steelwheels, you have really prettified my day! Not like the other guys with similar names like yours who are only trying to prettify my p3n1s via email...
I, object.

Leon

I'm playing this one now and I must say: the graphics are well done. A good mix of cutouts and drawings. The problem I have with the game, as said earlier, are the huge amounts of texts. There are some funny ones but way too long and too many.

Besides that comes the fact that there isn't much logic in the puzzles, resulting in a click everywhere and try everything on everything and thus creating an even more annoying amount of text.  Curious who will finish this one.

Then there's also the lack of music/sound/audio that amplifies the text impact. So my suggestion for a next game: keep the graphics, add some sound and cut the text.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

kaputtnik

Hey, wait a minute! The puzzles were really well introduced and completely logical, if you take the time to explore the game and get into the game's sometimes twisted but nevertheless coherent logic - I was not stuck at any point of the game, enjoyed all of the text and finished it without ever feeling the idle feeling I get too often these days, running around in home brew adventure games trying to find the cheese for the door. Pardon me, the key, of course.

Some music on the other hand wouldn't have done any harm, this is true. Especially since this is - somehow - a music-themed game.
I, object.

Leon

Then I'm probably completely missing the clues in all the texts. The fact that you can't see what's clickable also makes it more difficult. But I haven't finished yet, so who knows what will change.

[edit] You might be right with the clues. Playing again gives me the clues. But there's so much text to go through and.... once you've seen them (or not) you can't get them back. At some points the texts disappear just in time to read through. It might be an idea to let someone click through such amounts because the (human) reading gets slower after some time.

I've stumbled upon a bug... but can't reproduce it yet.

Spoiler
When putting the 8 through the shredder, the image stays the same instead of changing to a shredded 8.
[close]
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

neon

I finished the game a minute ago. First when I started it, I thought 'oh my god, it's really ugly'. And now? Well, I think it's really ugly but it doesn't matter, because the game is really funny.

The graphics may be really simple and sticked together from simple handpainted graphics and photos, but it works. The humor is very nice and I'm looking forward for Creeps saving the world ;-)

Also, I didn't find any big mistakes, just the moving animation of Mister Gingerbread was a bit slow and poor.

Try out all the conversation options and try to interact with everything (including things on the pictures), there are not only clues hidden, it's also very funny to read the comments.

Thumbs up.

Ali

I also really enjoyed this, I was won over as soon as I read 'Pirate Shakespeare' in the manual!

It was funny and original, and the characters have a lot of potential for continuing adventures. I liked the style, though I'd like to see future Creeps games in high resolution. With the cut out style it wouldn't be much more work, and it would look even better. The puzzles were on the logical end of mind-bending, which is the right place for this style of game.

More please!

roll

This game is pure awesomeness and needs to be more popular.

The graphich design is simple, but I really love it. It gets a warm feeling, like you are really in an appartment. It's very immersive. The humour is very original and never grotesque. I want more!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk