How to make badass awesome backgrounds for your AGS game.

Started by i stole your car, Sat 13/02/2010 19:35:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakerpot

He already done that ProgZ...

*Teach us again!  :=*

Cluey

Give this man a doughnut.

My backgrounds are now 10x better! All thanks to lens flare and gradient maps!
Aramore
My webcomic.

Dualnames

I used to put lighting but now I realize i was only spelling it wrong!! That explains all the fuss about rain/snow plugin in the forums, I've always wondered about.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Jakerpot

Actually, the proportions are wrong...

Look how badass my background is using scalling. The table look awesome too.

Domino

Matti

And now the lensflare:

I think we all learned something here!

Jakerpot

It stil need some improvement... Let's add some texture! (no photoshop here)

Wonkyth

Hmm, you guys have had fun while I've been away!
:P
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

tzachs

Wow, nice bg Jakerpot!
I hope you won't mind, I did some small touch-ups based on what I've learnt from Babar's tutorial, and I got this:

I feel that my art has really improved after reading this thread, thank you so much!

Jim Reed

Jakerpot, you fool, it's all about having as much perspective circles as you can!

Yor Tabl3 Sukz!!1

Jakerpot

Tuomas

I really don't get it. I trid to follow your instructions and got this:

Then I tried multiple vanishing points, like you said, but still got this:

Here's my bg after some cool lens flare effect

:S

Intense Degree

(This thread has cracked me up!)

NO NO NO!

I am FED UP with this "advice" from so called "artists" given on this site. Seriously, there are some good things about the examples above, but you're missing the MOST OBVIOUS first steps that are NECESSARY to produce any MODERN GAME that anyone who isn't a complete idiot would be interested in.

1. Resolution

Hi-def is the only way to go nowadays, everyone knows that lo-def is just for people with no talent. I recommend a resolution of 2048 x 1536 MINIMUM as you need this at least to draw anything approaching a half decent background.

2. Perspective

This is for beginners and idiots only. Did Michaelangelo cover the sistene chapel roof with lots of coloured lines before he painted all those naked people? NO HE DID NOT.

You don't need lines, just guess.

3. Texture

Nothing beats a good bit of photoshopping for texture and/or gradients. However, if you don't have Photoshop, just use the spray tool in paint.

Beautiful.

4. Characters

People always want to know which art program to use for characters. The only one worth considering in my opinion is Google image search. I mean, why bother doing one yourself when you can rip it yeah?

Here is our player character in situ.

Obviously, because of our advanced hi-res awesomeness some re-scaling may be necessary. Remember, never bother drawing your sprites to scale, just rescale them by resizing the canvas or you can do it using walkable areas.

See, it's come out beautifully.

The next step is to post in the critics lounge to wait for praise and adulation. If anyone tries to suggest that there is room for improvements or tries to offer any "advice" to "improve" what you have done in any way just shoot them down and ignore all of it.

JOB DONE.

8)

Jakerpot

For those that don't have PS, i made an exclusive and awesome lens flare in paint, so you can use it in your backgrounds!

And always, ALWAYS, save your background as JPEG!!!! You know you want an ultra high definition background, so don't forget that!  >:(

Buckethead

I tried to take all your critics into account (thanks alot for them)

Anything I can still improve?

Jakerpot

InCreator

omg, now I realize how wrong I was doing everything.

But this tutorial, it helped alot!

I erased every game I wanted to release tomorrow and were working on for last 7 years and started from scratch!

See you after another 7 years!

Danman

I like this tutorial made me realize that I am actually a Dam good artist at least to people on drugs.  ;D

Babar's tutorial just was so simple. I just couldn't figure how to do the lines was just too hard.

Babar

Quote from: Buckethead on Tue 16/02/2010 09:09:14
I tried to take all your critics into account (thanks alot for them)

http://f.imagehost.org/0482/bestpicevar.jpg
Anything I can still improve?

No. That looks to be in the running for most incredible game in the universe, ever. Just finish it. Seriously.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk