How to make badass awesome backgrounds for your AGS game.

Started by i stole your car, Sat 13/02/2010 19:35:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakerpot

Domino

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/skeith2572/BACKGROUND.png

Wow, I am now making some badass awesome backgrounds...Thanks a bunch.

You can just reach out and feel the color and the time spent on it (10 minutes).

Maybe I can finally start working on a game.  :)

Snarky

These are good attempts, guys, but they fall short because you haven't practiced pixel art sufficiently. It is best to start out working in low resolutions, because the constraints force you to focus on the fundamentals that separate a good background from a great one. Let me show you:

Since it may be difficult to achieve a background of this quality at first, I've made an animation showing the process of creation step by step:

1. Set your canvas to a neutral gray color. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Otherwise you may misjudge all the colors because of the contrast.
2. Fill in the dominant color of your background, in this case the sky. This will determine the overall hue of your image.
3. Block out the ground. Don't worry too much about the fine detail. That comes later. For now, just focus on getting the overall form right.
4. Add objects to give your scene life. Here I've used the 2/3 rule to achieve a more dynamic composition.
5. Finally, use shadows to give the various objects in the image shape and weight. For this step, it is important to consider your lightsource. You may have to practice for a while before you achieve the results you want. Remember that the critics lounge is here for you if you need help.

I hope this has taught you something.

Domino

Snarky, It looks like you are showing off a bad game of Tetris.  :)

My BG was meant to be funny and half assed.

Snarky

Quote from: Domino on Wed 17/02/2010 02:12:25

Well, then I just don't think it's appropriate for this thread, Domino.

xenogia

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 17/02/2010 02:13:56
Quote from: Domino on Wed 17/02/2010 02:12:25

Well, then I just don't think it's appropriate for this thread, Domino.

Now I'm just confused.

Domino

I did a half ass job on my background, and not a Badass job.

Mr. Matti, help me.....

Matti

Quote from: Domino on Wed 17/02/2010 02:27:52
Mr. Matti, help me.....

Now I'm scared  :o

I was just about to post something and then - after refreshing the page - I saw your request for help.

Well, I was going to write something as sarcastic/ironic as Snarky, but now.. hm, let's just say: I don't know why you had to add that you did a half ass job, particularly since your BG is the best worst I've seen in this thread.

Oh well, gotta go to bed now, it's 3:34 here. Just let me add that Snarky's tutorial is brilliant. I might use it at some point.. to make a badass game.. or something.

Domino

I was hoping you would show up with the Lensflare!! That would make my background badass, that's all. :-)

Saberteeth

This topic is full of awesome and win with a grain of epic.

Snarky

I'll see if I can help you, Domino: Your problem is with the ass you used for the job. It's an easy mistake to make.

You need about twice the amount of ass you had. Also, check to verify that the ass is bad.

Hope this helps!

Danman

@Snarky I had to Improve your pixel art you need follow this tutorials rules. YOU HAVE TO ADD LENS FLARE MAN.

NOW IT LOOKS AWESOME.   8)

I even think this like worth putting on the Best game ever.
But your tutorial really helped I wish I saw it when I first started.  ;D

Matti

Quote from: Domino on Wed 17/02/2010 02:45:22
I was hoping you would show up with the Lensflare!! That would make my background badass, that's all. :-)

Okay, I was a little confused. Here ya go, fella. In addition to the lensflare I added a cool mosaic filter for more awesomeness.

You don't have to thank me, and yes, you can use that BG for your badass game.

Al_Ninio

Danman

@Domino Your background has a lot of perspective issues so I decided to help and also I did a very awesome lens flare. a lot of retouch ups and so on and now it is AWSOMEST.  And added some cool clouds  ;D . OK enough of my great awesome art. You may use it but you have to give full credit to me and say I am the greatest  ;D .

Dataflashsabot

Quote from: Domino on Wed 17/02/2010 01:55:43

There are two main problems with this.
1. No texture.
2. FAR. TOO. BRIGHT. You're not playing hopscotch in the playground! Add shading, add shadows, make it dark!

I fixed it up a little:

No need to thank me! (But please credit if you use it in your game.)

Tuomas

Lens flare could get a bit tricky if you're new to photoediting. Here's a tiny cheat that'll help you around it. It's almost unnoticable, and I know they used it in Doom 3 and Elder Scroll games too among others.

of course, I've put a green arrow to point at where it's done. No need to thank me.

Domino

Awesome!!!! That background that took me 10 minutes to draw is now looking BAD-ASS EXTREME DELUXE MAJOR LEAGUE AWESOME

;)

Danman

Tuomas I don't get it I have looked at your edit for 5 minutes I cant see what you did. Please tell me.

All I know is my AWESOME lens flare just disappeared. :(

m0ds

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk