Tune Contest (Feb 18th - 28th) Anxiety descending (Winners Annouced!!!)

Started by warmer, Fri 19/02/2010 00:49:53

Previous topic - Next topic

warmer

Hello everyone, let try to make some music that makes you anxious

Let try and create some anxiety filled tension.

Can you feel the walls closing in?

Are your inner thoughts stabbing at your psyche?

Here are the rules

You must use at least one Organic/Live/Real instrument or sound in this song.

Not a sample, but something that was captured by you with a mic or instrument cable.

Please say which instrument is the live-real instrument when submitting.

The song must always have at least 2 distinct parts.

Suspense and then the anxiety attack, and be a minimum of 60 seconds long.

By all mean use any instrumentation you can think of!

There will be trophy's.  I just have to make them. :)

Anything goes aside from that.

Have fun!!!!

warmer

Good work La Woltaire!

I like your sense of space at the beginning and how you progressively get tighter and more polyphonic in your expression as you go along.  I was definitely feel uneasy when it got really thick and dissonant.

warmer

Le Woltaire is looks like you just might win by default...

Where are all the submissions!?

Any suggestions?

Haddas

I think the vast majority do not have the required hardware (capture devices/instruments) to enter (me included)

Viking

I'll hopefully be entering.  I've got the non-live version ready, just have to actually learn the violin part I composed (difficult) and record it tomorrow or Sunday, then mix it in and do the post-prod.  I'll at least get something in, but I may have to punt on learning most of the solo part, and just record/mix one section of it.

warmer

You can use any sound source you capture by any means.  

It's just got to be analog.  Maybe I should have stated that more clearly.

Any pc mic would qualify.  

Has anyone ever plugged a set of headphones into the mic input on a comp and sang into the left side (I believe it is)???

That works by the same principles as any mic.  The movement of the diaphragm creates and electrical current and is picked up by the mic input.

Of course it's extremely crude, but it's proof of concept.

Give it a try.  Everyone has a set of phones right?  Ear Buds won't work.  You need something with a closed back. Preferably over the ear style.

How about we just give you extra credit for a live source.  I won't make it a qualifying factor seeing how I limited so many people unintentionally...

The production quality will way in of course, but the overall sense of feeling is the most important part of this entire equation.

Haddas

I was hoping you'd say that. Choose if you accept it as an entry or not. Atleast the breathing is analogue! Very analogue.

Phemar

Not an entry!

I was inspired by the topic, but since I lack recording equipment I cannot enter. Thought I'd share anyway :D

Oh ya and sorry for the quality, Guitar Pro always gives me problems when I export :/

Edit:
Here's a non-distorted version!

Warmer, thanks for the advice, but Guitar Pro doesn't come with a compressor or anything. Just a simple three-band equalizer and some really crappy reverbs haha :/

Viking

Here's my entry.  Sorry for the bad reverb settings, but it was better than no reverb at all.

Introduction and Allegro Agitato

It's me playing the violin in the "introduction" part, but I didn't have time to learn the "allegro agitato" part, so I left the sampled version in.

warmer

Phemar, I think what you are interpreting as poor sound quality when exporting is either one of two things...

It's either the distortion from overdriving the signal which in turn becomes clipping and is essentially leveling off the top of the wave form.  It sound like it's over driven.  Not at all a negative trait if that was desired.  If you want to keep that in check, throw a compressor on the master bus before you export and make sure you never see that meter hit 0.0db. You want to set them so they at the very least limit the signal to -.2db

If you can put a compressor on there, then make sure to low the other tracks until it never goes above -.2db

I am pretty sure you should have something like a compressor if you can emulate guitar cabinets and distortion.

The garbly scrabbled bit that appears twice, is that intentional?  Is that the mix down issue?  Sounds like a sample rate conflict or was that an intentional effect?

One last note pertaining to everyone else.  Entries must be in by 12am Pacific Standard time, Monday Morning March 1st.

All the entries so far have they strengths and are very different from the rest.  :)

It's great to see so many different points of view for the same general emotion.

Lets get a couple more in before Sunday is over!

Viking

I updated the post above with a new version (download here) -- it's the same music, but it has better volume and pitch adjustment, better track alignment, and way better reverb (i.e. you can actually hear the notes now).  Please judge using the new version instead of the old one.  Thanks! :)

warmer

Hello all, this competition has now closed.

I will be announcing the winners later today.

By 8pm Pacific Standard Time March 1st 2010.

Thanks to everyone that entered!!

:)

warmer

Hello all, the results are as follows,

The Bronze medal goes to;

Le Woltaire

for his other worldly vibe themed freak out

The Silver medal goes to;

Hadas

for his great break beat worbly creepy synth laden track

The Gold medal goes to;

Viking

for his wonderfully arranged and craft orchestral piece.  I am amazed at the depth of instrumentation you use.  Great stuff.  The live violin adds a very human and intimate touch the song.

Please pardon my atrocious medals guys.  I didn't have time to make some proper ones.

Viking

Cool, thanks!  And a medal to boot! :)

I'll post a new tune contest tonight or tomorrow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk