Indiana Jones and the Seven Cities of Gold - Christmas Demo Released!

Started by doctorfargo, Fri 19/02/2010 20:28:29

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

Isn't Indiana Jones a living cliche himself (with a hat)?!

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: grim107 on Wed 02/10/2013 23:52:54
I don't care if it's not a final version. That last picture looks fantastic!
Thanks!

Quote from: Ben X on Thu 03/10/2013 08:42:49
Having the supernatural stuff show up at Indy's college is a great new twist, but aren't evil skeletons a little cliche?
Not sure if joking.

Announcement: Matt Frith is willing to help us. He is an amazing pixel-artist. I can't wait to see what he'll do!!!

Ben X

Yes, joking! Looks great, though, and Matt Frith's work is tops. Oh, and I like the traditional Sam and Max cameo in Indy's office, very clever!

Mati256

I see Matt is taking the Ben304 approach to adventure game creation, thats awesome! Also, I would love to see him creating a sprite for Indy. Hope you can take this proyect to a good end with those amazing artists you have now.
My Blog! (En Español)

TGames

I can help with the extra scripting that is needed.

Monsieur OUXX

SCRIPTING CHALLENGE #2

Hello boys and girls, you who crave for a new full-length Indy game!

The last scripting challenge was a success, and thanks to the help of Scavenger, we were able to implement the Indy-style travel maps in no time. You can see it in action here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49021.0

Since then, we've done a lot of progress (unreleased backgrounds, scripting and animations), and it's now time to move forward with another scripting challenge. ;-D

Why a scripting challenge?
QuoteThe purpose of those scripting challenges is to offer an opportunity to help the project with a short-term goal, preferably something fun! It's typically some scripting that we could certainly do ourselves, but that would stop us from focusing on the things that only we can do.
Our goal is to complete this gigantic task with our tiny team, as fast as possible! That's where you kick in.

Needless to say, you'll be credited in the game for your contribution!

=================

The goal this time is to implement some credits system that looks like the credits of Fate of Atlantis (FoA). You can see a sample video here: (watch at 1:29) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ET_98IcvoTI

REQUIREMENTS:
1) The credits use this font:

Note: The AGS-ready font is available for download here  (it's actually two fonts, since AGS' technical requirements force you to use one font for the letters and one font for the fancy black outline). Just copy those files into your AGS game folder, then open your game. The fonts should be in the resources tree.
2) (optional) They may use a "fake" fade-in: If you look closely at the video, you'll see that the letters start all black, and then only the letters' color fades in, on top of the black. That's not an absolute requirement, you can just make the letters fade in and out.
3) They can be used within a cutscene (they won't screw everything up if "EndCutscene()" is called)
4) They are non-blocking (we can still script characters walking around or doing stuff while they are displayed)

An extra requirement for us is that they can be queued-up in advance (so that we can maintain all  the credits entries in one easily readable script function).

So what do you say, this time?

Construed

A wonderful idea and approach! I hope someone can do it!
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Construed on Mon 28/10/2013 17:00:15
A wonderful idea and approach! I hope someone can do it!
Thanks Construed.

The scripting challenge is still open.

doctorfargo

Quote from: Ben X on Tue 08/10/2013 15:50:09
Oh, and I like the traditional Sam and Max cameo in Indy's office, very clever!

Of course, clever is what we specialize in at Binary Legends. ;)

There will be more cameos in the game, so stay tuned! :)

Construed

I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Construed on Sun 03/11/2013 02:40:54
Anyone ever started or completed it yet?

Well, apparently this scripting challenge is not inspiring as many people as the last one! :)
It's still on, guys : http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40184.msg636471871#msg636471871

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 13/11/2013 15:44:35
Quote from: Construed on Sun 03/11/2013 02:40:54
Anyone ever started or completed it yet?

Well, apparently this scripting challenge is not inspiring as many people as the last one! :)

Maybe that's because the last one was at least a tiny bit interesting while this 'scripting challenge' is an obvious attempt to get someone to write code for you. Boring code! :p I think the general approach here is interesting and I don't think it's inherently bad but if you're going to outsource work to people that you either can't or don't want to do yourself, you might want to make sure that it's actually something remotely interesting to work on and implement. Just my two cents, I think it would greatly increase chances of people coming in and help you and your project out!

Monsieur OUXX

Who said making video games was fun? It's long, painful and mostly boring. ;-D But seeing the game finished, and knowing you were part of that, and playing it, what a great motivation.  :)

Monsieur OUXX

Hello adventurers,

The development is still peacefully going on: we have two new backgrounds in the making, with the help of JagOfTroy, and the wonderful moloko whose art you might have admired in "Ponderabilia". No doubt the result will be gorgeous!

In the mean time, here is a little hint to how one of our mazes will look like.
We promise it will be challenging without being frustrating! ;)

CK All Day

I think I have a solution to your 2nd scripting challenge. It uses GUI labels for the credit text and a separate function for fading in/out. I also made the animation where the “Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis”  title, or in your case “Seven Cities of Gold”, zooms in to the screen if you want it. I think the credits fading in/out to black are the same as the FoA video but I'm not 100%.

All of the script is non-blocking and it's very easy to edit the credit text from the room script. It's also in a cut scene so you can skip it. If you want I can send you a copy of the script or game files.

Monsieur OUXX

Hey CK, I only just saw your post!
Please send me this in Private Message, we'll see if it fits the needs. In any case, thanks a lot, you contributed (I suppose) approximately 10 hours of game-making, making the release of the game 10 hours closer ;)

DrewCCU

I have been informed that I am allowed to give a preview of some of the music that will be in this game (Indiana Jones and the Seven Cities of Gold)!!!

I've already posted it in another thread, so rather than reposting here, I'll just redirect you to there:
Seven Cities Love Theme
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Monsieur OUXX

Awesome track, Drew.

The development is still going on, we just released this:

This will be part of a rather solid debug interface
, especially targetting beta-testers.
- We know that the "Forge" team had a similar idea, but produced a half-baked built-in notepad for the testers but that, even though their debug interface was globally advanced, the text-typing control specifically was inconvenient to use. We're aiming at maximum convenience and efficiency for testers.
- We also know that Dave Gilbert (and possibly Crystal Shard) bumped into annoying issues because of a handful of blocking bugs in the released game, forcing players to wait for a newer version of the game, and start the game over. It made us think: if even the best have those issues, we need to be careful. That will not happen to us. No Sir! We have a cunning plan. :)

Abisso

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sat 08/02/2014 15:46:40
- We know that the "Forge" team had a similar idea, but produced a half-baked built-in notepad for the testers. We're aiming at maximum convenience and efficiency for testers.

I'm not the kind of guy to get easily offended, but I honestly find this remark rather rude. Did you ever try Forge's bug-reporting interface? Nope, because only beta-testers had the chance so far. And thus I suppose you're basing your judgement on what Selmiak told you, since he's one of my beta-testers and your team-mate. So I'll target both of you with this reply.

It might have been nicer, instead of calling my attempt "half-baked", to say "thanks for the inspiration" since you probably took the idea straight from that and tried to improve it. Which is respectable and encourage-able, of course: as a matter of fact, I intended to release my interface publicly sooner or later, in order for the community to help improving it. I just wanted to find the time to polish it a bit more and make a module. I hope you'll manage to do the same and possibly with a better result.
Anyway, from what I can see so far, this is NOT a bug-reporting interface. To be honest, this one looks like a "built-in notepad", and misses the key features of a bug-reporting interface. The only great challenge I found with this kind of tool, actually, is to make it work when the game is COMPLETELY paused (which doesn't happen by calling PauseGame(), for those who don't know). What I wanted is for the game to stop completely while the tester was typing: this is not essential just because otherwise he misses some of the events in the game, but especially because you lose the advantage you have over the bug as more time passes from the minute you spotted it, and more code gets executed in the meantime.
The second minor challenge (since it's really easy to achieve) is to produce a useful log.
I managed to achieve the second effect and got as close as I thought it was possible with the first one, at the cost of sacrificing some smoothness. If you can do that and keep the smoothness in typing, you have my utmost respect; otherwise, to be honest, it's just a simple GUI with a Textbox over it.

My best wishes for your success, and for that of a game which looks better and better day after day. I really have high expectation for this Indy sequel, and with the new collaborators, things will probably get even better.

Cheers,
-Gabriele
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

selmiak

Hehe, after thinking about it, calling the forge debug thingy halfbaked is rather nice considering the insane amount of hair I tore out of my head (and darker places of my body) while typing in it, please don't be offended abisso, peace :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk