Indiana Jones and the Seven Cities of Gold - Christmas Demo Released!

Started by doctorfargo, Fri 19/02/2010 20:28:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Hello Abisso,

Once again I sounded rude in English when I didn't intend to (that's not my native language, so I might have misjudged the level of insulting in the expression "half-baked").

But when I wrote "half-baked" I was only talking about the text area, not the extensive debug interface. I have no idea what yours looks like.

Having said that: What I meant was only really what I wrote  -- we're not aiming at bragging that we're allegedly better than the others, or whatnot: we're not. We're only aiming at creating the best possible debug interface for all future projects, starting with ours. Based on other (very skilled) scripters issues. The idea is to save many game creators a lot of hassle. As I wrote in the description, what you see here is just the text typing Gui control, BUT that will be integrated with this (and that's only the first step to the beta-testing interface, that should record all issues)

Also I didn't get that idea from Forge, I had it on my own, and that's after I told the others about it that selmiak said "hey, they did that in Forge, here is my personal feedback".

I don't get why you get irritated, since Forge is a GREAT game, with a very good level of finish, and I even said that in your "Released Game" thread. Forge is more than great, it's beautiful-looking, and very well written and coded (I love the gloves interface). I was only saying that the lack of good text area (and only the text area, not the whole debug interface) ended up being a problem for beta-testing.

Darth Mandarb

Okay, the matter is settled (and if it's not, let's take it to PMs for further discussion, please).

Abisso

EDIT: I'm sorry Darth, I didn't notice there was a new message on the following page. Feel free to delete my post entirely if you feel the need to.

To be honest, Forge is not well coded. Any decent programmer would whip me till I bled if they saw my code. And it's not a matter of humbleness; I truly believe there would have been dozens of AGSers who could have done a better job in both the visible result and the invisible lines of code. But even if Forge was the better game in the world, this would be totally unrelated from the reasons of my previous post.

First of all, let me stress this: I'm not irritated, I'm not angry, nothing like that. I tend to forget things very quickly and give importance to opinions only if they can help me improve. I'm not offended either, and I'm already fine with your last clarification. Don't mistake my straightforwardness with grudge. I'm not one to hold grudge, even in serious cases, and certainly not for such an irrelevant happening.

But at the same time I don't appreciate judgements made without a consistent background of information to support them. What you stated can probably be attributed to what Selmiak told you, but as a matter of fact he's the only tester that made such a fuss about the typing portion of the bug-reporting interface. 99% of them just accepted the fact they only needed to type in a few details (because the really relevant ones got automatically logged) and modify the log file in their favourite text-editor if they really needed to add some more details.

The crucial topic here, however, is the following: does a good notepad make a good bug-reporting interface? Not at all. This is what I tried to explain in my previous post. If you want my advice, concentrate on creating a good basis for your bug-reporting interface, implement the really useful functionalities and then take care of the "notepad" part of it. Creating a good notepad clone in AGS is a matter of minutes, but integrating it with the functionalities I explained in my previous post is not equally easy. And those are the key factors to make bug-tracking efficient (from my bug-fixer's point of view, at least).

Hope this makes it all clearer, and I don't have anything more to add on the matter, anyway. Case closed for me! :)
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Janos Biro

If you can't stand boring talk about ethics, please don't bother reading the hidden section below:

Spoiler
I hate to push this one a little further, since all involved parts have agreed in closing the case with no grudge, and now its time to settle down the virtual adrenaline, AND I'm a total stranger in the scene. But I  think this is an opportunity to learn a bit about non-violent communication. I'm sorry if I look like a moron just by saying this, but I think Abisso's first message was in fact a note for peace, not at all like he was offended for no reason or worried that someone was saying that Forge is not good. He had a point, the sentence does looks rude. But then, all it takes is an apologize. This is part of day-to-day social interaction. When I talk to my close friend, I can say his game interface sucks, and he wont be offended, because he knows exactly what I mean. But when I post in a public forum, I need a whole different approach. So selmiak's snarky commentary didn't helped at all. Before asking others for "peace", you should put a little "peace" in your own remarks, and then you will see the quality of your social interactions will raise substantially, really.
[close]

Ok, back to topic, I'm an Indiana Jones fan, and this game is looking very good. I'm sure the people working on it are doing a fine job. I played the demo, it was enjoyable, but so short! I'm waiting to see how the plot will develops. Can I expect to see some Nazi bases hidden in Latin America?

Oh, and I have to say the walking gets odd sometimes... Anyone else complained about that?
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

doctorfargo

Quote from: janosbiro on Wed 12/02/2014 01:37:51
Oh, and I have to say the walking gets odd sometimes... Anyone else complained about that?

Do you mean walking path finding or the speed of walking?

Janos Biro

The path-finding. I guess AGS doesn't have an imbued path-finding algorithm, isn't?

The speed of walking also troubled me, but mostly because I'm too impatient to wait. I know it's possible to change the speed using the options, right?

doctorfargo

Quote from: janosbiro on Wed 12/02/2014 03:15:00
]The speed of walking also troubled me, but mostly because I'm too impatient to wait. I know it's possible to change the speed using the options, right?

Not in the demo, but in the final game there might be that option. ;)

selmiak

@janosbiro:
thanks, noted!

And Darth is right, this kind of stuff should be kept in private messages. Just a little bit more public privacy to get some more understanding to all reading this and probably wondering wtf is going on, I tried to convince abisso to improve on the bugreport system a lot already in private messages so he knows my opinion on that system pretty well and I can fully understand that he put it on low priority because no player will ever see this when enjoying the debugged game and he gets all the info for debugging he needs with it. And when playing Forge Ch.1 you see that it worked out great! But at least I tried... a lot... and I just have my opinions and like to express them, not always in the best way, but I'm working on that. But this thread is about the indy game and not internet message board drama, so I can say I was very happy when Monsieur OUXX showed us his debug console thingy for the indy game and made it a module so everybody can use it and improve on it. Now if you two master coders (and all other great module developers) please kiss and make the best module for debugging AGS games/sending bugreports ever there is even more positivety to take from that.

The Demo is quite old, there were plans to remake, improve and expand it but no promises as this is very sidetracking and not a huge priority atm. But please report bugs and oddities you find in the demo anyways as this helps us improve the whole game after all.

Monsieur OUXX

About the walking speed, there's only one thing to be said: double-clicking makes you walk faster. That's already been implemented for years. BOOM.

PS: that 2010 demo looks SO DIFFERENT from what the game looks like now, it shouldn't be used for comparison with anything anymore :D

BaptisteTheFool

Anyone else having a problem getting his video to load?  Tried 3 browsers and it won't load. Says it's unavailable.

EDIT: Nevermind.  Musta been a Youtube hiccup.

TheBitPriest

Quote from: janosbiro on Wed 12/02/2014 03:15:00

The path-finding. I guess AGS doesn't have an imbued path-finding algorithm, isn't?

Take a look at my pathfinding wiki for more information on AGS pathfinding.  If there are any specific problems with this demo, I can run some tests through my debugging code for the team.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Walkable_Areas_and_Path-finding

-TBP

Janos Biro

The video didn't loaded for me as well, but other videos did.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: janosbiro on Thu 13/02/2014 01:34:50
The video didn't loaded for me as well, but other videos did.

Hi guys,

The video was indeed recorded using an exotic codec BUT it is hosted on Youtube. Unless I'm mistaken, Youtube applies their own codecs the very second the video gets uploaded.

Janos Biro

Mati256

My Blog! (En Español)

selmiak

have you tried turning it off and on again? Do you use the latest version of youtube? Maybe you have to update ;)

Dualnames

It worked on my side, I really appreciate the fact that ouxx is whoring himself showing bits of the game, which i find very interesting to watch <3
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Monsieur OUXX

We show only a handful of static backgrounds or unfinished cutscenes. That's close to nothing -- That's only the tip of the iceberg.

selmiak

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 14/02/2014 15:17:21
That's only the tip of the iceberg.
I see what you did there... *disappears in  the snowstorm*

Monsieur OUXX

SCRIPTING CHALLENGE #2 - success!
We are delighted to announce that Ryan Timothy (and CK All Day to a certain extent) have beaten the challenge. Thanks to them, we now have credits in the style of Fate of Atlantis. Once again, we remind all the Indy lovers out there that even though we could have done it ourselves, a big part of the project is to be able to manage the enormous workload: that's where you guys come in. Ryan Timothy made us save close to 10 hours of researching, scripting and testing that we can spend on getting closer to the release.
A big thank you!

================

Meanwhile, our debugging system is getting more and more powerful, we fear that it eventually becomes self-aware and tries to take over the project. We apologize in advance in case we become responsible for the reign of thinking machines.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk