Indiana Jones and the Seven Cities of Gold - Christmas Demo Released!

Started by doctorfargo, Fri 19/02/2010 20:28:29

Previous topic - Next topic

DoorKnobHandle

QuoteOnce again, we remind all the Indy lovers out there that even though we could have done it ourselves

Thanks for the reminder! :)

Monsieur OUXX

You cut the sentence in the wrong place  :smiley:
Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 24/02/2014 12:40:44
Once again, we remind all the Indy lovers out there that (...) Ryan Timothy took us several hours closer to the release. A big thank you!

selmiak

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 24/02/2014 14:02:21
You cut the sentence in the wrong place  :smiley:
Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 24/02/2014 12:40:44
Once again, we remind all the Indy lovers out there that (...) Ryan Timothy took us several hours closer to the release. A big thank you!

I was playing at the fact that I think it's incredibly rude to get other people to write code for you and when they finally do help you out, post a "reminder" to everybody that you could've done it yourself as the first thing, be it true or not.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Mon 24/02/2014 14:51:25
I was playing at the fact that I think it's incredibly rude to get other people to write code for you and when they finally do help you out, post a "reminder" to everybody that you could've done it yourself as the first thing, be it true or not.
Yes, we all got that. But you totally missed the point, that was not the reminder. Therefore, allow me to have as much humour as you do, and play on that fact too. :)
So instead of going conflictual, I'll just say this: Thanks, Ryan Timothy, it's thanks to people like you that our project will not be released in 2024, but instead probably around 2017. ;-D

DoorKnobHandle

Somebody worked hard and helped you out and instead of just thanking them you immediately add a "just a reminder, we could've totally done this ourselves" in your post about it. That happened, you posted it like that and I pointed out how much I dislike that. I did not miss any point.

Monsieur OUXX

On a different topic: a few months ago I offered to help with Fountain of Youth, I offered to draw backgrounds for you, but the offer was declined. Do you have all your backgrounds? If yes, I'm very thrilled, best of luck for the imminent release. You guys paved the way for Indy fan games.

Abisso

Sorry to stick my nose into that, but... doesn't the fact that you seem to be misinterpreted most of the time ring any bell to you Monsieur OUXX? I'm saying this with a totally peaceful and relaxed state of mind, please believe me. Just trying to help out. You even said that yourself (that you got often misinterpreted) when dealing with the last little misunderstanding about the debug-interface.

So, wouldn't it be better to double triple check what you write from now on?

Once again, I'm saying this just because I'm following the topics, I care for the game and think it would be a shame to discourage other potential collaborators for a lack of etiquette. I know you're a good guy who offers his help in many projects (including Forge), so I don't doubt your good intentions the slightest bit.

That said, congratulations to DoorKnobHandle for his work and to the team for another step towards the release of the game. Any progress on the Debug interface, instead? It would be very interesting to follow the development of that and I'd be glad to be able to use it in the future.

Sincerely,
-Gab
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Abisso on Mon 24/02/2014 15:49:37
doesn't the fact that you seem to be misinterpreted most of the time ring any bell to you Monsieur OUXX?

Actually it does, and we're having an internal team discussion about this as we speak. So can we now leave this behind for now, and just thank Ryan? I bet even he has no idea of how cool his effect looks on our intro background.

Any progress on the Debug interface, instead? It would be very interesting to follow the development of that and I'd be glad to be able to use it in the future.

Yes, there is some progress, even though I'm slowing down because now I'm currently scripting the boring part of it. As soon as it works as expected, I will share it for sure, and you'll be the first one to know.

Daniel Eakins

Sorry to stick my nose into that, but... doesn't the fact that you seem to be misinterpreted most of the time ring any bell to you Monsieur OUXX?
Yeah I was looking for a way to say this without sounding confrontational or something. When someone's posts are ALWAYS "misinterpreted" by multiple other people on the forum, surely the problem lies with the way the posts are formulated rather than everyone else on the forum.
We all have our time machines, don't we?

Monsieur OUXX

Agreed. But do you guys get the point?

When we did the first scripting challenge, we got immediately suspected of being lazy or lacking the skills.

So, I want to be honest to the contributors: Don't expect us to say "wow, thank you what you did was extremely hard. But it's eventually useless because the game never got released".
What we will say is: "Don't listen to the haters who say the tasks we call for are boring or stupid. Doing itwas vital to the project".

selmiak

What Monsieur OUXX said is that we enjoy distributed development, no matter if for art or code, and everybody is encouraged and invited to join in and help on a fangame for Fate of Atlantis that we build in our free time. We totally do this on our own and every helping hand, be it only for a short time or for longer, is very welcome. Thanks again to Ryan Timothy. And also thanks again to Christian Cammileri who drew some beautiful backgrounds for us, this is also very appreciated.

also yay, another puzzle piece completed!

Ryan Timothy B

I wasn't offended in the least. I enjoyed the experience and appreciate the chance to volunteer (although I've reminded myself once again of how primitive AGS script is - but that's a topic for another day).

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the effects in game.

doctorfargo

February 24, 2014 Update

Binary Legends is proud to present the Italian translation of the Barnett College demo.

A very special thanks to Giocherellone for the translation work!

Keep in mind that the Barnett demo was originally released in 2010, so it does not reflect the current art / animation style of the game. However, we hope that you will still enjoy the demo!

Get the Italian demo on the Binary Legends Download Page:
http://binarylegends.cbm8bit.com/?p=dl

Abisso

Quote from: doctorfargo on Tue 25/02/2014 00:54:34
Binary Legends is proud to present the Italian translation of the Barnett College demo.

Good news! I'm tempted to give it another try just to see if Paolo did his job well. :D

The first thing that strikes me as questionable is the translation of the title: I'm not entirely sure about the lore of the game, but I suppose it's based on the legend of the eptarchy of the Cibolanos tribe who lived in a confederation of seven villages. As a matter of fact those villages are also known as "Seven Cibolanos villages", or "Seven Cities of Cibola". But, of course, as a reference to the precious metal (that supposedly had been used as the main building material) they're mostly known as "Seven Cities of Gold". This is best translated (and most widely used here in Italy) as "Sette Città  d'oro".

"d'oro" -> made of gold (or, in a figurative way, "precious"); "dell'oro" -> related to gold.

To make a relevant other example, "Fountain of Youth" translates as "Fontana della Giovinezza", because it's not "made of" youth, but "related to" youth.

I suggest you take this into account for the translation of the final game.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Abisso on Tue 25/02/2014 15:44:49
The "Seven Cities of Gold" translate to "Sette Città  d'oro", not "Sette Città  dell'oro".
We'll investigate that with our translator. Abisso, I guess that you're an Italian speaker from Italy? If he is an Italian speaker from Italy too, then we have a serious problem :D My intuition tells me that you are the one who's right, by analogy with my own language (French).

doctorfargo

QuoteThis is best translated (and most widely used here in Italy) as "Sette Città  d'oro".

Our translator is (as far as I know) a native Italian, but I'm sure like in English there are many different ways to word things. Thanks for pointing it out!

QuoteI suggest you take this into account for the translation of the final game.

We'll definitely take it into account.

Also, our Italian translator (who goes by Giocherellone here on the AGS forums) would like to give credit to the Italian "Arena80 forum" for their help and especially to AprilSkies (the one who created "Donald Dowell and the Ghost of Barker Manor"!) as the one who modified the bitmaps and the GUI.

Abisso

Yeah, Paolo is definitely Italian, as I am. I've been in contact with him for a few years, mostly because of his interest in Forge. You can't find often someone as easygoing and passionate as him when it comes to fan-games.
So please, let me clarify that I have no intention of giving him a bad name as a translator. As a matter of fact, I should have told him in the first place, instead of writing here, and I apologize for doing so.

Anyway, both translations are correct when out of context; but only one is appropriate in this case, cause "of gold" specifies the material (we call it "complemento di materia"). I suppose Paolo was simply unaware of both how those cities are called usually here and how they effectively "look" in your game, so he simply chose one of the 2 most common translations and has been unlucky.

On a side note, Aprilskies is another great guy when it comes to helping out for the pleasure of doing so. I'm not surprised he did that in this case, as well.

doctorfargo

Quote from: Abisso on Tue 25/02/2014 18:55:38
So please, let me clarify that I have no intention of giving him a bad name as a translator. As a matter of fact, I should have told him in the first place, instead of writing here, and I apologize for doing so.

No offense taken! I was taking it as constructive criticism, and not as an attempt to make our translator look bad.

On another topic, to clear up any confusion about our scripting challenges: We are a small group of dedicated adventure game enthusiasts, and while we have made some good progress in our production lately, we know that the task ahead of us is still monumental. While we have a talented core team, a work of this scope and measure requires us to seek outside help every so often in order to make more progress. For the people who do offer to help us, their work is very much appreciated and they will receive full credit for their work. We do not wish to take advantage of anyone or their talents nor are we are seeking to con other people into doing work for us. We at Binary Legends have always been very open and willing to share our labor, for instance our demo is 100% open-source and the AGS source code is downloadable from our website.

If you have helped our project in anyway, shape or form - then a big thank-you from myself and the rest of the Binary Legends team! It's people like yourself that help make fan-games like Indiana Jones and the Seven Cities of Gold a reality.

AprilSkies

Oh Yeah. I helped Paolo with bitmaps and some minor issues about the translation system. Sometimes AGS didn't take the translated texts and I forced it using the "GetTranslation" command into the scripts :D

Doctorfargo I want to say: thank you for that game! I enjoyed it so much! It was a pleasure to work on it with Paolo.

About the Title: Actually, in the very first bitmap I created for the Main Menu we used the following text "le sette città  d'oro". Then Paolo discussed about that with Arena80 community and decided that the title "le sette città  dell'oro" is more... how can I say ... it has more "musicality" (sounds better). in our ancient Language "musicality" is important... sometimes more than meaning :D. Another reason is that Paolo thought that the first one it was right if the the title was "AND THE SEVEN GOLDEN CITIES". But... anyway nothing so relevant imho.

Great game guys!

edit: Oh Forgotting: Can I put the link to this game in the brand new italian unhofficial AGS forum ?

www.apemarina.altervista.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk