Indiana Jones and the Seven Cities of Gold - Christmas Demo Released!

Started by doctorfargo, Fri 19/02/2010 20:28:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: AprilSkies on Thu 27/02/2014 08:11:58
Can I put the link to this game in the brand new italian unhofficial AGS forum ?

Yep, of course you can, but on one condition : be ready to remove it when we give the go  :-D -- this demo is getting really old! :)

AprilSkies

Of Course!
And .. I'll be happy if that one will become old, 'cause it will mean that you released more!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Monsieur OUXX

KNOCK KNOCK

WHO'S THERE?

ARCHIE

ARCHIE WHO?

ARCHIEFACT! HE BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!

Guybrush Nosehair

Monsieur OUXX

I only just realized that the picture above is perfectly visible on my screen, but almost all black on any other screen. I got my screen with very good contrast from a former graphic designer who no longer needed it. I'll reupload an image with higher contrast asap.

Monsieur OUXX

Some news:
- we still work on our special effects (e.g. this completely refactored module)
- we produced a few more backgrounds, and scripted some more.
- we have a neat 3D animation for some apparatus in the game, that we'll show when the time comes.

doctorfargo

Here's a little sneak preview of some of our recent progress on the game!

As usual, we're always interested in potential new team members. If you want to help out with this project in anyway (graphics work, scripting, betatesting, puzzle design, etc) then contact me. :smiley:

Monsieur OUXX

I just realized that we haven't posted anything for over a YEAR. That's crazy.

Progress: the project is slow but there is some progress. A few backgrounds, a few suitable sprites, music, scripting... I personally am still rather optimistic about all this.
I've experimented on several tools and special effects modules, most of them remained unfinished. That's sad.

There is one central thing that we don't have though: a FIGHTING SYSTEM. I already posted in the forums about this, to collect ideas. The biggest issue is: how to make it fun (unlike Last Crusade/FoA, which were rather simplistic and not tactical to say the least) while being rather intuitive and efficient to control, both on PC and tablets.
I had that idea that the player should be able to interact with some specific spots in the background to pull some dirty tricks specific to the room he's in. Then I realized that the FoY team also had that "dirty trick" idea. Dang. Well, the idea to interact with the background is still sligthly different from their idea.

What's missing really is a brilliant idea that would make the fights FUN. Brilliant ideas are hard to pull. Who would have guessed?

Also I don't feel comfortable with implementing a fighting game in AGS. Some time ago I implemeted a small platformer and it was a train wreck (mostly because I tried to take advantage of AGS' built-in walkable areas. It turned out it was a bad idea).

For the record, the dicussion about the fighting system was taking place >>THERE<<. This thread is not the right place.

fischkopf

I wouldn't mind having no fighting system at all, as those parts weren't necessarily the best in the Indy games. Much rather I would like to see more great puzzles. :)

MiteWiseacreLives!

Glad to see you guys are still plugging away ;-D I noticed your not humouring us with a abstract percentage of completeness (wrong)
Quote from: fischkopf on Mon 09/11/2015 16:45:52
I wouldn't mind having no fighting system at all, as those parts weren't necessarily the best in the Indy games. Much rather I would like to see more great puzzles. :)
Mmmmm, yes lots of puzzles but gotta have the fight scenes! they're always skippable anyways... I'm gonna go bump the fight system thread  (laugh)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: fischkopf on Mon 09/11/2015 16:45:52
I never really liked them either but I came to realize that some players just loved them.

Mandle

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 09/11/2015 22:27:32
I never really liked them either but I came to realize that some players just loved them.

I think right there is your whole problem with designing the fight system. If you never had fun with the fighting in the original games I guess it's going to be hard for you to pin down what is fun about such systems. I know you are asking around for a lot of input which is the way to go: Talk to the people who actually liked the fighting and somehow distill their ideas into a fun system...

Don't ask me though: I'm with you. I never liked the fighting bits in the Indy games myself... ;)

mkennedy

If you want a fighting system then I would suggest looking at how it was done in other AGS games that have one and possibly getting help from those authors.

Monsieur OUXX

Cassiebsg

No idea, but looks dangerous! 8-0 (laugh)
Looking forward to that puzzle! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AnasAbdin

Monsieur OUXX

WE'RE NOT VERY GOOD AT 3D. (Blender and such)
Yes, that's sad, but that's how it is. :(
Well there was Erik who was awesome but we can't manage to contact him :(

Therefore, we do the same every time we feel like some cool, motivated people can do better than we can ever dream: We ask around. A game made by the community is way cooler, in my opinion. :)

So here's the challenge: We have this opening sequence where the drawing of a paper map is displayed full-screen. It's like this map is glued to the screen, but from the inside. ;) Then this map suddenly flies away. After some time I came to realize that the goal is to do pretty much like in the opening of MI3. Coincidence of reminicence? I'll never be sure sure what happened in my subconscious mind. I was sure we were being original. We'll consider it an hommage for now. :D

You can see what it looks like here, at 0:23 : VIDEO

Anyways, here are the details:
-  we would provide the texture for the map,
- you're able to produce this animation, either as a set of PNG frames, or as a Gif. We'd really, really prefer PNGs as our game is 32-bits and handles transparency. Everything behind the map is transparent.
- The cracks in the map are see-through. Not oo many cracks in the middle, but a few on the edges if you want
- Just like in MI, the animation must be rather short. The map should fly away quickly, BUT do a few movements first (like in the MI intro), so that the player has time to understand that it is a map he sees before it flies away. Talking about that, I think it would look better if one of the map's corners flapped a few times under the wind (before the map finallygets ripped from the screen and flies away), rather than the whole map just "ondulating" a few times like it's done in MI.
- the game is 320x200 running at 40fps.
- Your rendering is rather crisp. Not too much anti-aliasing please!

You're better than us, that makes no doubt. Special thanks for the 1000th time to Scavenger for the modules he made in the past. @CassieBg can you animate in Blander, or can you only model?

Of course, you'll be credited in the game! Don't be silly.

Cassiebsg

Doesn't sound that complicated... can I do it? Probably, but since I'm still learning can't promise you fast and good... only that I can try my best and take at least 10x longer to do it than one that is "experienced". ;)

That said, feel free to send me the texture map if no one else volunteers. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 07/12/2015 16:34:24
That said, feel free to send me the texture map if no one else volunteers. ;)

I've sent you a PM. Any other Blender/3DS/Maya wizards?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk