A Date in the Park

Started by shaun9991, Wed 03/09/2014 16:34:10

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun9991

>>> GAME IS RELEASED! <<<
Get it now in the Completed Games Board!

Hi guys,

I've been working on a short little atmospheric mystery game for the last couple of months off and on, have started working on sprite graphics now so its time to share some pics and info!

Story:
You are Lou. You've recently moved to Lisbon, in Portugal, to take up a new job and start a new life. Within days of arriving, you meet an enchanting woman, Catarina, at a bar on a night out. After a few hours of connecting, you agree to meet her the next day in her favourite park.

You arrive at the stunning park on a beautiful sunny day, with high hopes. Lou soon realises the atmosphere is a little off... it's not going to be an average date.

Features:
- A cast of several characters
- Language confusion - Lou does not speak Portuguese.
- 20+ screens to explore
- A short, narrative experience, with a few puzzles as well. I think it will take between 30 minutes and an hour to complete. Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less, depending on the player
- Twists and turns - shocking moments! (there's a horror element to the game)
- 90s style digitised graphics and animated sprites (sprites are animated much better than in Mudlarks)
- 640 x 400 resolution
- Maybe with full speech voice acting
- Real world location to explore- Tapada das Necessidades in Lisbon, Portugal
- 2 click interface, with inventory etc

The game should be finished in the next 2 or 3 months. I haven't had too much time to work on it, but squeeze things in here and there. I'll put up some pics of the other characters soon.

- Backgrounds 100%
- Sprites & Animations 95%
- Puzzles 100%
- Scripting 95%
- Music/Sound 75%
- Speech 0%

Thanks for reading! Any feedback welcome.
Shaun
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

AnasAbdin

I've been waiting to see this here for long. Fell in love with it when I saw that duck a few weeks ago!
Great work Shaun! Reminds me of This is even better than the style of Lost In Time.

AprilSkies

I saw a preview of it on gameJolt!
And the choice to go on a lower resolution rocks!
I look forward to play it.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Ibispi

The backgrounds look really cool and indie! Good luck on your project! :)
The plot sounds intriguing as well.

Quote from: shaun9991
Features:
- Language confusion - Lou does not speak Portuguese.
(laugh)

Fitz

I absolutely love the blue-green tint to the locations. Also, I'm looking forward to brushing up my Portuguese (I'm not fluent in it, by any means, but I have a passable understanding of written Portuguese, and only a bit of practice with actual spoken language).

Retro Wolf

Your art style is rather inspiring; though I doubt anyone wants to see me limp across the screen!
Good look with the project!

Shadow1000

I love the graphics. Reminds me of Mudlarks. I'm looking forward to this!

SHADOW

shaun9991

Thanks for the really kind comments everyone!! Means a lot :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Mandle

Absolutely loved Mudlarks, so can't wait for this one! I really enjoy the way your use of real location photos brings a feel of "the extrodinary happening right under everyones' noses" to your pieces!

Athanor

Hey shaun9991,
wonderful to hear you're working on a new game! I absolutely loved Mudlarks! A Date in the Park sounds very interesting and I love your graphic style.
Good luck, I'm looking forward to play it! :)

HanaIndiana

I agree, the graphics are really fun. Is this more of a serious game then? Or a humorous one?

shaun9991

Thanks for the nice comments! :)

Mandle: "the extrodinary happening right under everyones' noses" - I like this quote! That's exactly what the games are about!!!

HanaIndiana: The game starts off rather light hearted, but things go serious for sure. Trying to build up an odd atmosphere of 'all may not be as pleasant as it seems' with this one :)

shaun9991

Hey guys.

Thought I would give you a little update on this game. Haven't had as much time as I would like to work on it, but it's almost finished! It's at a stage now where I would like a few people to play it and see what it's like - I'm a bit worried that not enough happens during the game. If you are interested in playtesting please leave a comment or send me a private message! Any help is much appreciated. Also, think I'll go without voice acting, as it's at a point now where I just want to get it finished.

Here's a couple more screenshots (not too exciting, but it's hard to put up too screens many without giving away too much of the game :) )

Thanks for having a look! We'll be at the AdventureX expo in London next month showing our big game we are working on, hope to see a few of you there!

Shaun

AnasAbdin

Great work shaun9991. I am willing to give any kind of help you know that :)
Please reconsider the voice acting decision (roll)

miguel

Shaun, nice of you to make a game based in good old Portugal, I think Mudlarks was pretty cool even with my dislike of photographic graphics so this one should be good as well.
Just a tip: you should consider a font with extended accents, Portuguese is full of it, like Ola should be Olá if you want it properly written.

P.S: did I just write "Portuguese is full of it"?
Working on a RON game!!!!!

shaun9991

Thanks for the nice words guys!
I've just released the game :)

Anas: If people like it I will still add some voices at some stage.

Miguel: I do feel bad for leaving off the proper accents, something to fix for v1.1 :)

Darth Mandarb

Congrats on the release!  I have updated the first post to include the link to the Completed Games thread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk