Hourgame Saturday that was last saturday - WINNER

Started by FSi++, Sat 01/05/2010 05:04:46

Previous topic - Next topic

FSi++

Hourgame Saturday
What's an Hourgame competition?
The purpose of Hourgame Saturday is to encourage amateur game-making, or to put it bluntly, to make you plant your ass in your chair and finally make something.
In this activity your task is to make an AGS game within a strict and very short deadline (i.e. one hour).

When will it take place?
This Hourgame session will take place on Saturday May 1, 2010. After last week's poor turnout, we're going back to the regularly scheduled time. Starting at 19:00 BST (14:00 New York, 20:00 Budapest) participants will have an hour to make their games + 15 minutes to beta test / upload (i.e. the deadline is 20:15 BST).

How do I participate?
A theme is set by the previous week's winner and by the contest's host in event of his/her absence. It will be announced on IRC (3 simple steps to IRC) and here.

Additional info:
- While it is not forbidden for the theme-setters to participate in the activity, their games cannot be voted for (to prevent accusations of cheating and to discourage regular participation).
- Instead, theme-setters are encouraged to draw trophies for the contest's winners.
- Making your game from scratch is strongly encouraged, though it is not forbidden to use music or artwork from public sources if you are allowed to (e.g. using public domain music tracks in your game is OK, but not really necessary). It is also possible to use a pre-existing AGS template for your game (e.g. the Verb-Coin GUI template).
- You cannot use stuff you've made earlier, because this competition is about making something new.

Camwhoring:
If you have Camtasia or Camtasia-esque software, it would be great to see your "Making of"! Or blog about it, or just open Notepad, do something! No twittering.

Uploading:
Suggested hosts to upload your entry to are:
Recommended:
TerranRich's ShutUpload

Not recommended:
http://www.mediafire.com/
http://www.sendspace.com/
http://www.rapidshare.com/

Or your own place.

Voting:
Just tell us your favourite game. You don't have to enter to vote!
(If you want to tell us what you liked and disliked about all the entries, that would be super nice of you!)
The voting will end when all the entrants have voted, or on Wednesday, April 21, whichever comes sooner.

Please post below if you're interested in participating, if the change in time will/won't work for you, or if you have any other questions.

8)

FSi++

Sorry for bumping my own post, but I had to post today's theme in case anyone wanted to participate without diving into the madness that is #ags.

The topic is Weird Names and Calamities. As usual, you are free to interpret and bend it as much as you like (e.g. having weird names but no calamities is as fine as having calamities and no weird names; having both is preferred of course).

Bonus points for gaping deer anuses.

Kweepa

Here's my 45 minute entry:

http://www.kweepa.com/step/ags/games/Enola.zip

No screenshot this time because that would take half the time that creating it did!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Wyz

Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

(deleted)

quite late, but hey.

Wrath!

(Edit: Made link accurately clickable)

bicilotti

Excellent round guys!

Steve: ahhh a very nice adventure! The puzzle was rewarding without being difficult, I kind of liked the philosophical two endings and sound + first person view really add a lot to this game. In a nutshell: bravo!

Wyz: nice stuff, graphically sound. I always liked end scenes that are more than just a "the end". I had some problems with the puzzle but in the end many of the interactions were giving responses, so that was all additional fun.

Richard: I always thought that the bible would do great for an action/adventure game and this one proves me right! Controls are pretty slick which is a great achievement when you think this one was packed in less than two hours. The only thing that bugged me is that the game ends with an error. Or is it me?

Bottom line, Steve.

kaputtnik

I, object.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I vote for steve's game which involves explosions.

Wyz

Hey, I missed AtomicShoe erm... I mean Magma this round :D

Steve:
Nice entry, a bit short, but two endings. I liked it. ;D

hofmeier:
Nice game, but I suck at these kind of games. I am not able to win it without causing all sorts of damage to my peripherals. ;) But still it looks pretty decent.

bleh I can't decide... :(

Making of "SUPER Dude":
Well as for my entry, there is now a making of available here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu6djXYlemg

Best viewed in HD at full screen.

Kweepa

Wyz
Another impressive amount of interaction squeezed into an hour!
And another making of video... great!

Hofmeier
Great bit of scripting! And lovely looking too!
Shame you couldn't quite get it finished on time.
Hope to see more from you in this competition.

I vote Wyz.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Rex Mundane

Quote from: Wyz on Sun 02/05/2010 23:47:04
Hey, I missed AtomicShoe erm... I mean Magma this round :D

Regrettably, I was out celebrating Free Comic Book Day, however I appreciate your concern. In gratitude, you and SuperDude have my vote.
My Blog: Ludo, ergo sum

(deleted)

Dr. McCrea:
Fun names. Pretty absurd. Sounds too?!

Dr. Wyz:
I was surprised by the how much of my experimental clicking was accommodated with a response. Honestly, I didn't care much for the puzzle mechanics, because the solution didn't reward attention to detail - I just had to click everything against everything to reach the end. Mostly the smoke threw me off.  Probably this all says more about my lack of skills in adventure games than it says about your adventure game. Good BGs, though - how much of the time was spent here? (Edit: Watched your video - thanks for putting that up!)

Both of these games worked, which is more than mine can say.

I vote Steve.

Wyz

For some reason I can not reply on the screencap on youtube, so I will do so in this post.

Quote from: Hofmeier
Thanks for putting this up! Q: What screencast / video capture software are you using for this? Looks great.

I used Videolan (VLC) for it. A bit unusual I guess, but it works. I could make a tutorial how to do it, but there are better resources I think.

FSi++

So, Kweepa won this time, he'll start the thread soon, I suppose.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk