Background Blitz: Humble Abode - Winner Dualnames!

Started by Questionable, Sat 03/04/2010 02:51:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Questionable

Every great protagonist and every interesting antagonist have a lair. Maybe it's a Detectives Office, maybe it's a Throne Room, maybe it's a basement Laboratory. There is one place where they do their thinking, where they spend most of their creative time. Often we never get to see their lair.

For this Background Blitz I want you to give us a glimpse at the most intimate setting imaginable, the lair.

Rules: Think of a character, either existing or newly invented; I don't care whom it is. Then examine who that character is, what makes them who they are. I will be looking for details. Anyone can slap together four corners, an XBOX and a sofa; I want posters on the wall, do-dads on shelves I want to feel that this is a space in which someone lives, I want to feel that it is truly the base of operations. There is no restriction on the setting, colors, size, anything like that. You can interpret Superman Secret Control Center, a Drug Kingpins lavish bedroom suite, a fringe magician driven to madness by his work, squatting a giant clock tower, a home office for a single mom who happens to be telekinetic.  Whatever, pick a character or create a character and show me who they are, tell me their story by showing me the most private, comfortable and habited place in their life.

I will be considering "polish/technique" or how GOOD the image looks beneath "depth/usefulness" or how much detail and thought has gone into the image.

The contest will be running from whenever you read this until the 23rd of April.

Voting: Same as the last time, we will hold public voting after the contest has concluded and a majority vote will determine the winner! Here are the criteria for voting.

Idea - How strong and original is the concept? Is it a good response to the contest topic?
Technique - How well executed is the background as a piece of art within the chosen style?
Usefulness - How well would it work as an adventure game background, and how useful would the background be in a game?
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Xellie

Why no entries...? Not that I'm really a superdooper artist, but I am planning on entering. Come on, anybody else? It a very funky topic and everything...?   ???

GarageGothic

Maybe just change the title from "lair" to something like "home"or "personal space". That seems to be closer to what you're asking for anyway. I'll try to participate if I can - I have a couple of screens in my game that match the description, so I might as well use the occasion get one of those done.

Xellie

Quote from: cat on Fri 16/04/2010 14:15:04
Maybe because we had the topic at least twice and it's getting boring?

Or maybe people are just busy? It is a lot more work to make a bg than a sprite, like. Anyhow, glad to see others are at least considering doing something... shutting up, I know, I know, empty posts and all.

Questionable

I'm not asking for a "Super Hero Hideout" like the rest of those topics. I'm asking you to represent/depict an area/location/room that a character spends most of their time in. I'm not asking for you to come up with a creative place for a character to hide their evil-doing but rather I want to see a creative use of details in order to illustrate the essence of a character without the character being present. I want to be able to get a feel for a character, I want to understand the character you invent using a textured sense details and history.

I want people to tell a narrative of whom a character is by only depicting their habitat.

I've changed the name to more accurate reflect my idea...

I've always felt that the BG Blitz is one of the most demanding competitions, and has always (in my experience) had few entries. Since it appears that I may have been a bit ambiguous and since the deadline is in about a week and we've not heard hide-nor-hair of any works in progress I might extend the deadline.

GreenBoy

I'm still planning on entering, I'm just taking my time.   8)

Mad

...just a quickie!

ye ole generic lab:

It's been done umpteen times, what's the harm in another one!?

Xellie

That's very nice Mad. Now I'm intimidated...  :-[

GreenBoy

Captain Ricco

Quote from: GreenBoy on Wed 21/04/2010 07:03:00
That looks strangely familar.   :o
It kinda reminds me of Dexter's Laboratory

Questionable

Quote from: Captain Ricco on Wed 21/04/2010 18:38:56

The serial killer or the boy genius? =P

Let's get some more entries in here!!

Dualnames

Quote from: Questionable on Wed 21/04/2010 19:36:51
Quote from: Captain Ricco on Wed 21/04/2010 18:38:56

The serial killer or the boy genius? =P

Let's get some more entries in here!!

Just to give some competition. It's very roughly done. I had some good time making this.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Captain Ricco

can i still enter?

Rushed a lot, left some stuff unfinished, and kinda missed the point of it beeing a lair(i had a point, really!), but here it is! :P

Xellie

I figure this contest ends today, so today is still valid for entries.

Behold, this background depicts the den of your typical average adventure game extra. Who do I mean? Well, the guy who works behind the counter in any adventure game you might mention, with only a name like 'clerk', 'bagboy' or 'assistant', if he is even important enough to merit a hotspot. Or the dentist who pulls a tooth, or the guy who drives the taxi while Ben Jordan or Sonny Bonds is busy making headlines. You know - that guy.

Seriously, just thought we almost never see a normal location in adventure games. Everything is always spaceship this, supernatural cave that, castle what's-his-name. Also, if there ever was a humble abode in the world of adventure games (reflecting Questionable's change of topic) then this is it.

Style is kind of line-claire, which in 320x200 was quite a challenge for me. Shelves could be fuller, but I figured a boring kind of guy might not have that much to put there anyway.

Oh, and the honorary big blue cup was a gift to Mr. Nameless from someone more interesting.  :)

Questionable

This just in! We're extending the competition by 24 hours only!  Feel free to modify any existing entries using the extra time! I have been contacted by two people saying that they are working on entries but for various reasons will not be able to finish them until tomorrow. In the spirit of gamesmanship I am extending the closing date for this comp by 24-Hours!

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

GarageGothic

Cool, I'll try my best to get something done in time.

Questionable

Cool! Looks like we might have even MORE entries!!! Ply some elbow grease!

Captain Ricco

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk