Sprite - Census Worker

Started by Anarcho, Mon 19/04/2010 00:00:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Anarcho

(Note: Sorry I'm not sure why the resized image is so blurry, anybody know why?  It's just a png...)

Here's a sprite I'm working on...he's a census canvaser from a rural county in West Virginia. I was going for a bit of muscular guy with a bit of a pot belly. Clothing like pants and shirt folds always trip me up. I know he doesn't have eye color, but i just seem to like the way the light shading looks..any advice or thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks!

Logan

Technocrat

I can see the "pot bellied", but I'd probably make his arms a bit thicker to add to the "muscular" thing.

I think I'd make his clipboard a little larger/more obvious too!

Chicky

His left leg looks shorter than the right, move it down two pixels :)

Questionable

He's a bit duck footed, eh...
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

NsMn

He looks like 40 year old Paperboy.

DrewCCU

Quote from: Chicky on Mon 19/04/2010 14:10:27
His left leg looks shorter than the right, move it down two pixels :)
im pretty sure its inteded to be that way - hes standing at an angle.
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Captain Ricco

Its paintover time!
-played around with the collours
-moved his head a few pixels back
-made him 'buffer"
-fixed the shorter leg thing mentioned

Xellie

I did a paintover based on Captain Ricco's paintover: (Nice work BTW, Captain Ricco).

- Exaggerated his bicep even more
- Baldy. Figured that 'hairstyle' is more typical of middle aged football-jock-past-his-prime-doing-menial work look
- Changed color of strap-bag to red, sprite seemd a bit dullish
- Enlarged clipboard and added extra detail, clip, writing
- Made belly bigger and more pronounced
- Tried to give position on the face for all features, eyes, nose.
- Allover tried to give more consideration to lighting
- Changed feet, in my opinion the relatively exreme angle at which we view him would make for higher contrast

Hopefully it gives you some ideas.

Questionable

I did a paintover based on Xellie's which was based on Captain Ricco's paintover:

- Took some of the "sickly yellow" skin tones out
- I liked the idea of him being bald but I felt like his hair was too "thick" in the non-bald spots... so I thinned his hair out
- Played around with shoes to make his feet look less like balls on sticks
- Changed pant color to a color closer to something a human being would actually be seen in
- Played with some of the shading

Things I notice now that i'm looking at it:
Not enough contrast with the hair, I would pump up the volume on that. The clip board clasp seems TOO bright compared to the rest of the image, I would maybe tone that down a bit. I'm still not 100% pleased with the shading and I would continue to play around with it, as well as the shoes JUST A TAD more.
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk