WalkCycle Crit

Started by Scarab, Sat 24/04/2010 12:04:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarab

Hello all,
Just hoping to get some criticism with my walkcycle for a character in a game I'm currently working on, as I'm trying out a new art style.
6 Colours, 160x120 resolution, no holding back.  :=
I'm relatively happy with it, but an extra opinion or two can never hurt.

Any help is appreciated
Peace,
Scarab.

Screenshot for reference:

SinSin

There are 2 pixels that get filled in dark blue on his hands, i would just keep them skin colour, and maybe just raise the sprites chest up by a couple of pixels  
Currently working on a project!

Questionable

The leg animation is pretty good, but his arms don't move enough, it feels as if he's bobbing up and down out-of-sync with his walk and I feel like it's a bit fast, that's probably just opinion, though.

P.S. is this a guy or a girl?
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Babar

Seeing as he has a bobbing lump at the crotch level, I´m assuming it is a guy.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Questionable

What's with the A-Cup breasts, then?

Scarab

@Sinsin, yeah, I think that was a result of me moving where the pockets are at some point, I will fix this.

@Babar, alas, it is a boy, and the 'bobbing at croth level' is his hands in his pockets. It is unfortunate that he is so androgynous...   :(

@Questionable, Out of sync? I know that his hands should be at full extension when his legs are furthest apart, but his arms move to their max displacement when he has his legs furthest apart, I would have thought that that was 'in sync'  :-\

@Questionable "A-Cup Breasts", I was trying to break up the 'rectangular' shape that most of my side views have by giving him a bit of a chest, does it really look like breasts? Considering that it will be established that he is a male in the opening cutscene...?
Here is his portrait btw. Damn... I didn't even consider the possibility that his sex was questionable...

Captain Ricco

the "out of synch" thing was probably cause his arms animate in less frames than his legs. While his legs use like 4(maybe 3?) and that makes it look weird

I dont think his gender is confuse at all... after quest mentioned it i could see if it was a girl with short spikey hair, but it was definetly not my first impression

Scarab

Quote from: Captain Ricco on Sat 24/04/2010 19:10:52
the "out of synch" thing was probably cause his arms animate in less frames than his legs. While his legs use like 4(maybe 3?) and that makes it look weird

hrm, I undestand this, but what should I do? I think it would look worse if his arms moved more than one pixel...

Questionable

Your's > < Mine

So I pumped up his chest to eliminate the appearance of breasts.

I eliminated pixels that were redundant, that's more of a personal thing as they didn't really effect the image quality.

I elongated the length of gait by adding two frames, I just copied the "down" keyframe (when he bobs downward) and duplicated it once immediately following the left and right down keyframes. It makes his walk appear less frenetic/frantic.

P.S. it appears as if some of the pixels I eliminated actually defined his pockets, which his hands are in (which explains the arm swinging, as we discussed) you can decide what to do about that. If you can define for the player that he walks with his hands in his pockets it will make visual sense but if we don't have that context it feel odd. It's all in how you set up the character to us!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk