Snakes of Avalon (Now with more POLISH!)

Started by Igor Hardy, Tue 04/05/2010 01:50:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Baron on Wed 12/05/2010 03:01:53
I'm happy that everyone is enjoying the plot and gameplay, but the animation was my baby on this one so I wanted to say a special thank you for the kind comments about that.

You shouldn't make it sound like you weren't involved in the creation of gameplay and plot. A baby is not your baby any less just because you have to share credit for it. :)

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 06/05/2010 10:12:35
It's one of the most random games ever!

It's interesting for me to read how many people consider the events in the game "random". I mean, we tried hard to make everything appear this way, but I'm still surprised people don't tell me things like "I can see why this needed to happen that way in this particular moment" and similar. Because in reality everything that is connected to the murder plot happens the way it happens out of necessity - to realize to the fullest way possible the main ideas we had for the whole tale and its finale.  Of course we could have made a shorter, less developed version, but what for? ;)
Spoiler
For example, the consciences were introduced after Baron's suggestion that they would help us greatly with showing Jack's internal struggles. However, if they were presented exactly how the player expects from other stories, and didn't have a larger (and stranger) role besides slightly teasing the player, they would have been rather anticlimactic, so...
[close]
No, really! I would break the game into 4 acts - each one having a specific function to fulfill in the whole story.

yarooze

Quote from: Ascovel on Sun 09/05/2010 14:46:51
Quote from: yarooze on Sat 08/05/2010 20:02:50
PS. Weren't you thinking 'bout selling offering the soundtrack as separate product?

Not a bad idea, who knows what will happen in the future...

I really wish we had some Jack-holding-the-fish figurines like Tzuko from Necroquest or The Dung Shoveler from Besieged.

Unfortunately I have no possibility to sculpt the models now. My tools are far away from me...  (I'm working in another city and my tools are stored somewhere at home) :'(
But I think,  I'm not the only one who sculpts figures here. The game is brilliant and it deserves some merchandising...  8)

Good work, guys!
My Blog

qptain Nemo

I tried to hid the fact that I'm a self important jerk and think of me testing this game as of a really big deal by not posting in this tread... but I think somebody blew my cover.
So anyway.
When I stopped fooling Ascovel and really played the game I found it to be real fun. So should you. Dopey humour and outright adventure gamey self-mockage are present, so what's not to like, eh?
Well, maybe except the toilet guy. He's real jerk. I'm nominating him for the best NPC in AGS award this year.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: yarooze on Thu 13/05/2010 18:24:46
Unfortunately I have no possibility to sculpt the models now. My tools are far away from me...  (I'm working in another city and my tools are stored somewhere at home) :'(
But I think,  I'm not the only one who sculpts figures here. The game is brilliant and it deserves some merchandising...  8)

Too bad - your models are excellent. Maybe at least you're finding some time to progress with the second part of NecroQuest, eh?

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Fri 14/05/2010 16:07:22
Well, maybe except the toilet guy. He's real jerk. I'm nominating him for the best NPC in AGS award this year.

I wonder what would people say if I revealed the toilet guy's identity...  :=

tzachs

Quote from: Ascovel on Sun 16/05/2010 16:06:58

Save something for the sequel  ;)

Just thought of an idea: you can make a spin-off, make the toilet guy the hero, with the whole game taking place in the toilet at the same time of the "Snake of Avalon" events, to explain a bit better what that guy did there all that time...

Captain Ricco

Quote from: tzachs on Sun 16/05/2010 23:20:35

Just thought of an idea: you can make a spin-off, make the toilet guy the hero, with the whole game taking place in the toilet at the same time of the "Snake of Avalon" events, to explain a bit better what that guy did there all that time...

That WOULD be awesome!!

I really liked this game, was pretty hard to understand at times, but i guess it was on purpose, to act like a drunk

Igor Hardy

Quote from: tzachs on Sun 16/05/2010 23:20:35
I wonder what would people say if I revealed the toilet guy's identity...  :=

Hmm... Baths of Avalon.. really cool idea, tzachs!

Though I would worry that having a separate plot inside (pretty much) the same location and going on at the same time would be distractive distracting. Like, while playing Snakes, you would not focus on Jack's problems, but want to be able to switch between the two games in real time - checking what the other character is doing at the moment.

Anyway, those ideas are for the more distant future, and for now I can say the Snakes haven't hissed their last hiss yet, and there is a reason why the game hasn't appeared in the database so far...

Baron

Ha!  Now I can get more mileage out of my dung-shoveler poop animation!

On a more serious note....
Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 17/05/2010 18:55:20
also, sorry, but THe winner IS Actually not eternalJy us, but instead the prize gOes to snaKEs of Avalon.

This is because someone pointed me out to check my spam folder. Congrats Ascovel and Baron!!! :D

Ben and Calin don't reply with a pm. Ascovel and Baron I've sent you a pm.

Wha-?? ?? ?!  :o

Anyway, it would have been nice.  Thanks to everybody who did vote -we almost made it (legitimately, that is).  It is true that we are planning just a few upgrades before releasing the final -FINAL!- version.  So stay tuned.

kaputtnik

Just had a beer and finally played the game, haha.

A very satisfying experience, although halfway through I got the feeling I might as well be watching a short movie instead - actually, the game plays a lot like it was based on a movie script - certain things have to happen in a certain order to get you deeper into the next stage of hallucination (or reality, up to you to discern those); also the animated cutscenes (Great work on those, and on all the animations, Baron!)

I enjoyed the setting, particulary because it allowed for fantastic things without being fantasy - the obsession with insects felt pretty kafkaesque to me, which is - in my opinion - basically the only way to portray surreal things without trashing realitiy at the same time.

I would have liked some more interactive dialogue, though. I obsess about this sometimes, but I guess that's also one of the reasons why I felt like watching a movie at some point (The puzzles were very nice, I didn't have any problems even with my inferior puzzle-solving skills, haha). I think you really used the on room concept in a very smart way, sticking to the traditional definition of "room" in an adventure game, yet expanding the room through the mind of a not very reliable main person.
I, object.

Igor Hardy

Thanks for the very nice comment, kaputtnik!

Quote from: kaputtnik on Thu 20/05/2010 19:12:27
I enjoyed the setting, particulary because it allowed for fantastic things without being fantasy - the obsession with insects felt pretty kafkaesque to me, which is - in my opinion - basically the only way to portray surreal things without trashing reality at the same time.

Yes, it's certainly no coincidence. I have a great fondness for both Kafka and certain movie scenes which make terrific use of the buggers.

And now a little announcement...

The download is taken down for now, because we're going to work some more on the game.

We're going to revamp Snakes in several important aspects. It will be all enhancements, so people who played the MAGS version shouldn't worry that we will take out any elements that they already liked and exchange them for flashier or completely-different versions. However, some of those additions will be definitely things you shouldn't miss, and the game should provide considerably deeper experience as the result of having them.

And in the meantime read and vote for your favorite trippy Broken Telephone Chain Stories:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=41001.0

Cyrus

Wow, now that's interesting! When will you release the updated version?

Igor Hardy

Glad to hear you're interested.

The date is not definite yet - we will settle it sometime mid June. However, before that I should reveal more info about what the enhancements will entail.

Cyrus

Quote from: Ascovel on Sun 30/05/2010 20:42:22
However, before that I should reveal more info about what the enhancements will entail.
So what will they entail?  ;D

Igor Hardy

Alla

Hi..strange-there is no topic in Hints..
Is it all so clever and just played Game without any help?
As for me i cant move on after pool..Any WT?
I came near Lady and man talking -i see head of animal -thats all//
Is it the end of Game?

Igor Hardy

It's just the beginning of the game.

But I also don't understand why no one started a topic in Hints.

What you have to do is...

Spoiler
Sit at the table near the pipe. This will allow you to listen to what the couple is talking about.
[close]

Leon

Apparently no one got stuck yet..
And yes, there is a walkthrough:)
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

markbilly

Quote from: Leon on Mon 31/05/2010 16:59:50
Apparently no one got stuck yet..

I did, lots. Dunno why.

I thought this game was brilliant! Can't wait for the polished version :)

Igor Hardy

Thanks, Mark. :)

And yes, quite a few people got stuck at different points in the game, but they asked for hints through email, skype and twitter, or in the April MAGS thread.

Quote from: markbilly on Mon 31/05/2010 21:31:46
I thought this game was brilliant! Can't wait for the polished version :)

btw besides the polished version, there will be also a Polish version some time later

Not that anyone reading this thread would need one. :)

markbilly

I was going to make that joke in my reply but thought against it! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk