Error: SpriteCache::removeOldest: Attempted to remove sprite 154 that does not e

Started by Captain frakas, Tue 04/05/2010 01:05:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain frakas

Hi,

I have installed the last release of AGS (3.2 final 4) and I just have a new reproducible bug on a project started with AGS 3.1. The last thing I've made before is to add a new walking animation for a character.

The error windows fire when I move this character (but not immediately, I can move him a little bit before) then the windows say :

Adventure Game Studio

An internal error has occured. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.
(ACI version 3.20.1108)

Error: SpriteCache::removeOldest: Attempted to remove sprite 154 that does not exist.

OK

When I click on OK, it shut down the windows.

Sprite 154 doesn't exist (and never existed as far as I know) and is not called by the character animation, so I'm not sure to understand this error.

I have quit and restarted AGS, but it continue to fire this bug, so I post it on the forum, as requested by the error windows.

I have also deleted the view and the sprites, and reintegrated, created a new view and re-attributed it to the character and the error continue to fire.

Note that if I ask the character to move a long distance the error will fire, but if I ask him to do a lot of little distances, the error will not.

I'll be happy to find any help.

thanks
CF

EDIT : I have seen this similar thread : http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=37311.0
but the solution is not given there.
(Perhaps I should have replied there instead of creating a new thread, sorry for that... if a mod could merge, thanks).

Pumaman

Can you upload a game that demonstrates this problem? Last time it was reported, we couldn't reproduce the problem.

GarageGothic

Heh, reading through the bug description I was thinking "that sounds familiar", then clicked the link at the bottom only to find myself reading a thread that I started :).

In my case I'm pretty sure it was related to the  DynamicSprites (which would also explain why it references an unused sprite slot). Are you using any modules or does any of your own code create or reference DynamicSprites?

Captain frakas

Hi,

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 04/05/2010 22:01:58
Can you upload a game that demonstrates this problem? Last time it was reported, we couldn't reproduce the problem.

Sure, do you need my whole project folder or can you find it with just the compiled executable ?

Quote from: GarageGothic on Tue 04/05/2010 22:13:35
Heh, reading through the bug description I was thinking "that sounds familiar", then clicked the link at the bottom only to find myself reading a thread that I started :).

In my case I'm pretty sure it was related to the  DynamicSprites (which would also explain why it references an unused sprite slot). Are you using any modules or does any of your own code create or reference DynamicSprites?

I don't use DynamicSprite but I have installed a module that generate speech balloon in a way that could be Dynamic Sprite.
I have installed this module in my game but don't really use it (just one or two test), and they are not used when the game generate this error as far as I know.

SSH

Captain frakas

Yes, I tested your Hypertext module and then the Phylactere module by Asraroth (http://adventuregamestudio.fr-bb.com). Both script are installed but not really used for the moment.

SSH

Pumaman

Quote from: Captain frakas on Wed 05/05/2010 01:23:30
Sure, do you need my whole project folder or can you find it with just the compiled executable ?

It's easier for me to debug if I have the whole project folder, so that would be useful please (you don't need to include the Compiled folder in that).

Thanks!

Captain frakas

Hi,

I thank you for your answers.

Quote from: SSH on Thu 06/05/2010 15:58:22
Why not remove them and see if the problem goes away?

I've tried, and the error windows stay.

Quote from: SSH on Thu 06/05/2010 15:58:22
Why not remove them and see if the problem goes away?

You should have receive a PM with a link to download my project folder (which include the previous hypertext script as I have made the archive before removing hypertext & phylactere scripts.

In the first room, there are 3 characters, and one of them doesn't look like the others. You can select him by typing "2" on your keyboard (or by middle-clicking on your mouse and then clicking on the middle portrait).
When you make him move on long range (by clicking far of him with the mouse), the error windows will fire during it's walking action. If you make him move on very short range, the error will not fire. If you achieve to quit the first room with this character, you can then move him on long range without fearing the error windows.

Other character ("1" and "3" of the keyboard) will not have this problem and can walk on long range without error.

Thanks
CF

Pumaman

Quote from: Captain frakas on Sun 09/05/2010 14:48:48
In the first room, there are 3 characters, and one of them doesn't look like the others. You can select him by typing "2" on your keyboard (or by middle-clicking on your mouse and then clicking on the middle portrait).
When you make him move on long range (by clicking far of him with the mouse), the error windows will fire during it's walking action. If you make him move on very short range, the error will not fire. If you achieve to quit the first room with this character, you can then move him on long range without fearing the error windows.

Thanks for uploading. I tried this out, but I didn't get the error message.

Is there anywhere in particular on the screen that you have to click to move him to? I pressed 2, then moved him back and forwards across the screen but didn't get any errors?

Captain frakas

I've just tested the archive I send to you and... it work.
So after that I've tested my work folder, and it work too.

I really don't understand why it work now and why it have not this week until this afternoon. I have tested it on my computer but also on three others. So it really surprise me.

Pumaman

Hehe, typical. Well, do let me know if you get the problem again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk