The Parrot Snatchers

Started by Grim, Fri 28/05/2010 22:44:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim

This months MAGS entry, and my first ever game....
A month ago I found the original version on a dusty CD tucked away in the darkest drawer.... and I thought I'd try to make it into something half-decent. It's possible that I failed.... :P But anyway, it will always be a special game for me. Made at that strange time of my life when changes were coming, it was my way of saying goodbye to the life I was leaving behind.

Even though I spent nearly a month trying to make it prettier, repainting all the shitty graphics and translating it to English I am fully aware it might be quite embarassing at times. But maybe for those of you who played Downfall maybe it will be interesting to see how it was born from this strange medley of ideas?

[/img]

[/img]

They took his parrot... He must get it back before it's too late- before its little good heart becomes a gift for Satan himself...
There's only one man who can help him.
His name is Grim.  

FEATURES:
-320:240 resolution
-swearing nuns and perverted police officers
-bad jokes about feaces and urine
-low quality sprites that didn't make it over the years
-typos and -possibly- bugs

Download it HERE

Igor Hardy

What a great title - it caught my attention instantly! Downloading...

Frodo

Looks interesting.  Downloading it now.   :)

EDIT:  That parrot in the title screen looks so cute.   ;D

Leon

Finished. Somewhat bizarre interactions with strange inventory combinations. Not the most 'polly-shed' game but still.. good music (not original but still), ok graphics and an as usual sick story. Nice one.

Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Grim

Quote from: Leon on Sun 30/05/2010 22:05:57
Finished.

I honestly thought this game would be so hard no one would ever finish it....:) Kudos to you, Leon!:) You are a great adventure game mastermind after all:) And thanks for the comment! Also, I know this is no excuse, but this game was made more than 7 years ago. I was still just a kid!!!:)

Ian Aloser

looks like I am the loser who's unable to solve it
Spoiler

Picked up everything, used all with all, totally stuck ...
Can't open drwaer in my room
Can't get to pub although I have an ID card
Can't get book in library
Can't get to concert
[close]

Please help

Grim

Quote from: I am a loser on Mon 31/05/2010 19:29:24
Spoiler

Can't get to concert
[close]

Please help

Spoiler
Use antenna from Lucas' room to lockpick door upstairs in Youth Centre. From there you can get crowbar and use it to open the drawer. The ID needs Lucas' photo on it and the photo is in that very drawer. You willl also need to find a way to glue it to the ID...
[close]

Ian Aloser

Quote from: Grim on Mon 31/05/2010 19:40:56
Quote from: I am a loser on Mon 31/05/2010 19:29:24
Spoiler

Can't get to concert
[close]

Please help

Spoiler
Use antenna from Lucas' room to lockpick door upstairs in Youth Centre. From there you can get crowbar and use it to open the drawer. The ID needs Lucas' photo on it and the photo is in that very drawer. You willl also need to find a way to glue it to the ID...
[close]

Thanks for the reply !

You wouldn't believe it:
Just found that out a few minuts ago...

Nice and funny game

Cheers

I a L

Ian Aloser

Stuck near the end
Spoiler

Got Weapon , need water...

Toilet no help :-))
[close]

Just a nudge, please

Lots of fun with this game !

Nevermind , got it

Cogliostro

Spoiler

Got the ID photo, have it covered with glue.  Running around looking for somethign that will pass for wine, so I can get the ID and then get into the Bar and then get Grim to take a look at the book, etc...

[close]

EDIT:  Once again I demonstrate the power of breaking down and actually asking for help.  One minute I find the bathroom. 

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

Grim

Quote from: Cogliostro on Tue 01/06/2010 17:58:12
Spoiler

Got the ID photo, have it covered with glue.  Running around looking for somethign that will pass for wine, so I can get the ID and then get into the Bar and then get Grim to take a look at the book, etc...

[close]

EDIT:  Once again I demonstrate the power of breaking down and actually asking for help.  One minute I find the bathroom. 

- Cogliostro

Spoiler
While you're in that bathroom check the toilet:)
[close]

Cogliostro

Grim,

Finished!  Once again, you prove you have a truly warped sense of humor.

- Cogliostro

Peter Bear

Hello Lucas.

Thank you for your game, I ll try to end it as soon as I can get some spare time.

Besides it looks great ( reading other comments ) , I feel a little disappointed about your GUI, inventory and most of the sprite looks jammed on my computer. If this a issue, done or purpose or didnt you polish your game enough ?

Regards.

Piotr
Not much time for gaming neither creating, but keeping an eye on everything :)

Grim

Quote from: Piotr OBKINSKI on Fri 04/06/2010 08:45:15
Hello Lucas.

Thank you for your game, I ll try to end it as soon as I can get some spare time.

Besides it looks great ( reading other comments ) , I feel a little disappointed about your GUI, inventory and most of the sprite looks jammed on my computer. If this a issue, done or purpose or didnt you polish your game enough ?

Regards.

Piotr

Hi:) But my name isn't Lucas! Lucas is the main character of the game- and an old mate of mine who always aspired to be a horror writer but was a bit of a mammy's boy instead.
  Anyway, I agree with the GUI and sprite comment- they suck badly. Half-assed GUI was the best I could do in 5 minutes I had in between other jobs. Sprites, on the other hand, didn't survive the resolution change and look.... odd. But hey, this game isn't about sprites. It's about a serious psychological take on a life of a person facing a sudden loss of his parrot and falling in love with a swearing nun who seems to be the only woman willing to take him seriously..... :P

The game was polished with a chainsaw. That's why it's a bit rough 'round the edges:)

Cogliostro

Grim,

You and Lucas are friends?!?!?

Let me get this straight, you produce a game, use his real name, and make it perfectly clear that his book's only virute is that in a pinch is can be used as a substitute for toilet paper?!

Exactly what would have transpired if you had actively DISLIKED the guy?

- Cogliostro

P.S.  On a completely different note, thanks for introducing me to the word "stroppy".

david

enjoyable game with your sense of sudden change and horror  :D

great job..
That song named Lucas quite fits in the theme

Grim

Quote from: Cogliostro on Mon 07/06/2010 06:28:10

You and Lucas are friends?!?!?

Let me get this straight, you produce a game, use his real name, and make it perfectly clear that his book's only virute is that in a pinch is can be used as a substitute for toilet paper?!

Yeah, well.... ;D He didn't mind. I guess I'm a crap friend:)

Quote from: Cogliostro on Mon 07/06/2010 06:28:10
Grim,

Exactly what would have transpired if you had actively DISLIKED the guy?

- Cogliostro

P.S.  On a completely different note, thanks for introducing me to the word "stroppy".

You know that scene in Downfall
Spoiler
where Mr Harris gets cut in two after explosion in the bathroom and his legs and torso end up in two different rooms?
[close]
I know one Mr Harris, and he's definitely no friend of mine..... 8)

As for the word "stroppy"- you're welcome.  ;DMaybe we should open a thread somewhere about funny English words?  ;D

Peter Bear

hello again. I get a game-stopping-bug, reproductable

Spoiler

After getting to the empty gig, get out and talk to the chief of police , the games Halts.
[close]

regards
Not much time for gaming neither creating, but keeping an eye on everything :)

Harg1

I like the graphics style. Very interesting.

Dualnames

What a great game. The best spent hours I've had lately. I even decided to review it on the AGS blog. See it here

I'm not fooling around, I really liked this game. I actually blame myself for not playing it sooner. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it surely is a very innuendo filled game. The crowbar description is a bloody highlight. I finished this in one hour and a half without using a walkthrough, just by game logic. The puzzles are outstanding, and really gave you a satisfaction when you solved them.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk