Tune Contest 15 May - 30 May [The Final Bad Guy]

Started by Nikolas, Sat 15/05/2010 19:20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolas

Is there anyone else going to vote? I will close the voting in 12 hours or so, tonight...

Too busy right now, sorry.

ShiverMeSideways

Aren't you going to vote as well, Nikolas?

Nikolas

Of course I am, but I'm trying to vote last, so as not to influence anyone else! ;)

MMMorshew

Sorry for being so late.  ;)
I totally forgot about this little contest.

Viking: A really great song that has a special charme that I can`t describe... however, it`s awesome. The bad guy with such a theme could fit into a less serious jump`n run game. It reminded me of those old, wonderful N64 games for some reason, like Banjo Kazooie or Conker. It could belong in those games in my opinion.

Dualnames: You managed to create a very dark and unpleasant athmosphere with that song that could belong right into some creepy horror game. But to be honest, it doesn`t really sound like the scenario that you explained. It made me think more of a dark, ancient tomb where you have to solve creepy puzzles as Indiana Jones. But still, it gets the job very well done as an ambient tune.

Nikolas: Made me think of action packed, side scrolling SNES arcade games where you have to blow up gigantic robot bosses and blast all kinds of enemies that attack you from every possible angle. Very very awesome, even if the main riff repeats too much in my opinion. But that normally doesn`t bother me at all in video game music.

Phemar: I love all kinds of metal, so I enjoyed this just as much as ShiverMeSideways` song. It has very interesting and great melodie starting the first time at 00:37. The drums that come in at the second time it appears after the little breakdown makes it even more awesome. Great song, very well done. But it sounds just like a normal metal song (a very good one of course, I would love to hear it with real instruments), not something that I would expect in a videogame. But that`s probably just me.

Le Woltaire: This song really caught my attention. It has a very special charme and the mood in that song is great, it certainly made me want to fight a baguette-throwing french bad guy. But I would have loved to hear a faster, danceable and more vivid part  somewhere in the song, for example when the fight could begin.

Daremer: Yes, THAT could very well be the the song for a goofy boss. I imagined a crazy scientist in a jump`n run game that jumps and dances around in madness and wants you dead.
Also, at some parts it made me think of some electronic sounding pop songs that you hear on the radio (especially when the synthesizer tune appeared), there was just a vocalized woman voice missing. Very well done, but it was a bit too short for me.

And my vote goes to VIKING, because the song has such a unique charme that appealed to me and sounded like it could really belong into a big, commercial game.
It was very hard to choose, there were so many great songs. If I would be able to pick more than one favorite, I would do it.

Nikolas

Shimermesideways: A very nice entry indeed! Rather influenced by slightly older time aesthetics, maybe due to your lack of equipment, but the guitar rocks! The whole track is very complete (which is not something you get with every entry in general). Well done!

MMMorshew: This is an old fashion track, which works very well I think. I could envision very easily various scenes, various bad guy bosses.

Viking: Eric, this entry is very well thought out I think. There are some great orchestration elements there (and you know it! ;)). BTW, I found your entry to be in slightly lower volume, but I'm at home and couldn't have a look at the waveform. Other than that I think it works very well in this competition, with a slightly twisted sense, but very nervous, anxious sense!

Dualnames: James, you did very well! For someone who is tackling everything himself in his games this is great! Especially considering how you started out and how you moved further. I will agree with others that it seems a little out of place in terms of fitting the theme of the competition. It's more scarey, and adventurous and travelling into a dark cave rather than a bad guy ending of a game. Still a very cool entry.

Phemar: Very cool (bad ass) track! It should work well in every occasion and most bad guys. Fast paced, full of adrenaline!

Le Woltaire: This is VERY original! In the idea that this is for a bad guy in a game! And it works so well, if you have in mind veyr specific situation. It's well created I think, while it depicts a very slight 'spanish/mid US' sentiment.

Daremer: VERY cool track! I think that the production value in this is slightly higher than the rest of the entries, but I also feel that it doesn't fit the theme of the game fully. It's to 'go happy' tune, despite the heavy electronic sounding instruments.

My vote goes to Shimermesideways for his great entry! Well done mate!

And now to count the votes... brrr...

Phemar: 1 vote

Viking: 2 votes

MMMorshew: 2 votes

and apparently I got to pick the winner! ;D

Shimermesideways: With 3 votes you're up for putting up the next competition! I'm sorry I can't offer any prizes, but the joy of winning the tune contest! Well done!

ShiverMeSideways

Woah, thanks a lot, guys! :D With such fierce competition I really wasn't expecting it!

A great hip-hip-hooray to all the participants, because you guys are awesome, each and every one of you! I will start a new competition very soon!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk