VOTE NOW! Chain Story - Broken Telephone Edition!

Started by Vince Twelve, Sat 29/05/2010 22:26:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Chain Story - 2
Telephone - 3

Image - 1.7
Image - 2.6
Image - 3.7

I feel kind of bad that I've voted for both the stories I was involved in, but I'm really pleased with the way they turned out.  Hats off to everyone though.  Some great stuff all round :-)

Looking forward to the next game.

Vince Twelve

Ok, I declare this activity officially over!  Congrats to all the participants and to all the participants' pants.  Also another big thanks to Jim Reed for the trophies I'm about to give out!

The wieners are:

Best Image Submission

Third Place (tie):

Story 1:
    Submitter 5: Andail
    Submitter 6: AtelierGames
Story 2:
    Submitter 1:  Bulbapuck
    Submitter 6: [Cameron]
Story 3:
    Submitter 4: Tuomas

Second Place (tie):

Story 2:
    Submitter 3: Jim Reed
    Submitter 7: Ascovel
Story 3:
    Submitter 7: Babar

First Place:

Story 1:
    Submitter 7: Wyz

Story 3:
     Submitter 5: Wyz

Wyz went twice because of me having to skip a couple people and wound up spiking TWO first places!  Well done!

Best Chain Story

Second Place (tie):

Story 1: The Steel Balance
         Authors:
              Jim Reed
              Tuomas
              ShiverMeSideways
              Privateer Puddin'
              [Cameron]
              Babar
              Akatosh

Story 2: When the Moon Doesn’t Watch
         Authors:
              Stupot
              AtelierGames
              Vince Twelve
              Andail
              Wyz
              tzachs
              NsMn

First Place:

Story 3: The New Breed
         Authors:
              Scarab
              wonkyth
              Dualnames
              discordance
              Ascovel
              Bulbapuck
              discordance

Best Telephone Story

Third Place:

Story 2:
         Authors:
              Babar
              Privateer Puddin'
              Akatosh
              Vince Twelve
              discordance
              Andail
              AtelierGames

Second Place:

Story 1:
         Authors:
              Ascovel
              Wyz
              AtelierGames
              NsMn
              Bulbapuck
              Dualnames
              Jim Reed

First Place:

Story 3:
         Authors:
              [Cameron]
              tzachs
              Jim Reed
              ShiverMeSideways
              Andail
              Stupot
              Scarab

Congratulations to everybody!  Let me know if I screwed anything up here.  I'll be updating the HTML pages to show who did what for each story and image.  Hopefully you all had a giggle.  Now put your trophies in your sig and make everybody else jealous for not taking part in the coolest forum activity ever!

Andail

Eh, "my" picture has to be disqualified, as I just picked a random Benjamin Carre drawing. I didn't have the time or inspirational force to draw one on my own, and Vince sounded so desperate, so, well...

Anyhow, thanks all for participating!
Congrats to those who managed to nick two or more golds.
And thanks to Vince for hosting :)

Igor Hardy

According to my counting, Image Submission 3.5 had exactly the same number of votes as Submission 1.7, which means Wyz snatched 2 golden pens. :)

Also, thanks very much people for seeing something in my image - I thought it was rather ugly and unimpressive!

Finally, would there be anyone against if I linked to the 3rd set of stories on the front page of HardyDev? I think those 2 are really worth to be read by a larger number of people.

Wonkyth

"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Andail

I think we should vote for best individual contribution!
Using google docs.

Andail

On a second thought, that should have been done before the authors were revealed...not sure it's a good idea at this point.

Bulbapuck

I can't believe my picture won something :D

Anyway, thanks everyone! I had a lot of fun. Special thanks to Vince for hosting and Jim for the awesome trophies.

Stupot

Yeh, this was a hoot.  Thanks Vince.  And Jim... Sweet, I've just realised I get a gold phone.  Yay!

Can't wait for the next one.  What did people think of my tie-the-mysteries-up-at-the-end idea?  I'd be happy to host that if people wanted.

Vince Twelve

As a postmortem on the activity, I think it went off relatively well.  A few mistakes I made:

-Starting batch of sentences should have been larger.  I had originally planned on just assigning one to each team, but instead decided to let them pick, which led to having two (four?) stories with relatively similar plots.
-Roping people into a writing activity and making them draw.  I tried to make this as easy as pie, requiring only a google image search, but some people still had trouble with this step.  Sorry!

Other than that, I think things went really well, despite the handful of people who vanished without a trace (or worse, kept saying they'd finish, got extensions and THEN vanished without a trace).  I told myself I wouldn't do another one of these that required me to serve as the hub because it's kind of a lot of work, but then I had this wacky idea and it pretty much needed someone to serve as the hub.

If I host again, it will definitely be something where the order gets listed in the forum and when you're done writing you just send it straight to the next person.  But maybe require them to CC me on the email so I could make sure people were meeting deadlines.  Without someone serving that function, this activity stands too high of a chance of just falling apart.

Stu, if you want to host next, it's all yours.  If you want to flesh out your ideas or talk about some of the lessons I've learned from hosting this, PM me!

Jim Reed

Bulba and Stupot: You're welcome!

My thoughts....
It was a nice idea, handled very well (thanks to Vince), and I say we should have another one, with different rules this time, so it remains fresh.
I predict interest tapering off, so I suggest the next one should be a bit smaller.

Definitly the hardest compo to organise!

tzachs

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks Vince for the hosting and whacky idea, I loved it!
Quote from: Stupot on Tue 01/06/2010 13:54:07
Can't wait for the next one.  What did people think of my tie-the-mysteries-up-at-the-end idea?  I'd be happy to host that if people wanted.
I'd be interested, the idea is cool. One of the themes should be an island  ;)

NsMn

I can't believe I didn't win any section at all....  ::)

Vince Twelve

Quote from: Ascovel on Tue 01/06/2010 11:25:06
According to my counting, Image Submission 3.5 had exactly the same number of votes as Submission 1.7, which means Wyz snatched 2 golden pens. :)

Holy crap.  The man is right.  Darn my finger counting!

Wyz got two golds!  Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.  8)

Wyz

Wow, I did not expect gold, and even less a shared first place with myself. ;D Cool! Thanks for voting guys. This was so much fun, I'm already looking forward to the next one. I hope to return them sooner then.

Speaking of a next time, maybe some sort of web trinket could ease the load. I'm capable of building something like that; I can't host it though.

Well, to the rest: good job all! I had fun reading the stories. :D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Vince Twelve

I just labeled each section on those stories/pictures with the name of the submitter.  If you're curious, take a look.  And let me know if I mis-labeled any!

Igor Hardy

Just published the 2 winning stories on HardyDev: http://hardydev.com/2010/06/03/the-new-breed-chain-story-3-blue-telephone-story-3/

Hopefully they'll generate some outsider comments.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk