The Man From Fugue State - UPDATE 21/04/16

Started by Haggis, Mon 07/06/2010 19:21:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Haggis

>>> THE GAME IS RELEASED <<<
(click link above to view Completed Games Thread)

The Man From Fugue State

Development Progress:

• Story: 100%
  • Scripting: 99%
  • Graphics: 100%
  • Sound/Music: 100%
Release: April 2016

NEW Teaser trailer! Jerky, freeware recorded in game footage featuring some random game play vaguely related to the story, examples of intellectually stimulating dialog, and a flash of leg... twice (what a tease)! Extra points for spotting the walk behind bug. Oh, and a great track provided by - https://soundcloud.com/william-j-lepetomane/the-forsaken and http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/471929.

[embed=640,480]<object width="640" height="480"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=120742880&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=120742880&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="480"></embed></object>[/embed]

Conceived in early 2005, and considered by some (me) to be the inspiration behind Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption, this is my first attempt at a Point and Click adventure â€" ‘The Man From Fugue State'

Game Summary: A stranger, with no memory of his identity, arrives in the sleepy town of Tumbleweed to find the residents suffering at the hands of feared outlaw El Marcado, 'the marked one'. Soon he finds himself caught up in a plot to defeat El Marcado once and for all. But who is this stranger? And why is the mysterious El Marcado so interested in Tumbleweed?

Game outline: Taking on the role of the nameless stranger, the player explores Fugue State and it's numerous locations, solving puzzles in order to progress the story. Along the way the player will encounter a variety of characters and wildlife (both friend and foe) and amass a trunkful of useful, and useless, inventory items. Using the 'much loved' verb coin interface users will be able to interact with the world using their hands, eyes or mouth. As the player progresses through the game they will find themselves taking part in a number of traditional western activities such as poker playing, grave robbing, bank heisting, show-downing, and cross dressing(?). Of course... it's only a matter of time before El Marcado hears about this new stranger in town.

USP:
* Spaghetti Western themed game world
* Dynamic locations that change over the course of the story
* A story jam packed with satirical jokes that due to development time are no longer topical
* Five chapters worth of 'witty,  concise and original' content**
* A twist ending!
* Collect 10 unique Legends of the West top trump card achievements!

**lies... dirty, filthy lies

Screenshots:

A menu screen!

Traditional verb coin interface

Explore the diverse landscape of Fugue State

Test your wit against the greatest poker player in the West

Meet and greet or lurk in the shadows and eavesdrop

Progress Diary
09/02/11 - Have added a new screenshot of some of the key Chapter 2 action... poker! All be it a massively trimmed down experience - with no actual interactive poker playing as such... i'm really selling this.  All in all, i've managed to complete chapter 1 (of 5), asides from scripting some of the standard responses to ridiculous 'use inventory item on' interactions. It's slow going, but progress is being made.

20/09/11 - Chapter 3 is alllllllllmost complete, chapter 4 takes place across most of the same locations so mainly need to complete script and dialog for those. That leaves mainly chapter 5 and then fine tuning. I may release a BETA version sometime soon... always good to get some feedback. Here's one last screenshot... I also updated the screenies above, one shows off my attempted verbcoin interface. It is my life mission now to finish this!

13/05/14 - After some significant delay to development caused in part by severe developers block, moving house, and the birth of my son (mainly caused by this), I'm finally back in the AGS saddle. Shortly after the last update, the game was tested by some fine fellow AGSers and their feedback has been integrated where possible. Chapter 4 is now complete leaving only chapter 5 to go. Permission has been sought and obtained for all of the fancy music used in the game which is a big plus because the music is far superior to the visual elements I'm sure (probably to be expected seeing as i'm responsible for everything but the music). I'm aiming to get this finished by the end of the year, that's my goal.

27/02/15 - Spurred on by the AGS anonymous group I'm down to the final room. After that it's just a case of final tweaks, credits, extras etc... I can see the light at the end. To celebrate this I've released a low quality video of random gameplay. See top of the post.

21/04/16 - Happy to announce that I finally have a fully playable game from start to finish including credits (confirmation of absence of catastrophic bugs pending). I have a few peripheral things to add - achievements (why did I add these?) and possibly a post credit scene. Other than that I'm in, I guess, a near BETA phase getting some final feedback and possibly reviewing some of the more recent dialog which I always let settle for a few days after a first draft to review later with fresh eyes. After that I should be good for release.

25/04/16
- Did away with achievements, replaced with a play through of the credits
- Have had quite a bit of feedback and run through the game myself fixing bugs here and there - I'd say it's now 99% complete pending final feedback
- The title of the game has changed - the original title was always a little on the lazy side, so I've updated it
- I've tentatively scheduled in an April release dependent on remaining test feedback and whether anything major crops up

markbilly

REALLY like the look of this... Art is very nice, clear and simple! :)

Like the sound of the story, too.

Good luck with it.

Igor Hardy

Poor bastard, doesn't even have a name. I feel sympathy for him already. ;)

m0ds

So, did he ride through the desert on a horse with no name?  :=

Looks good. Reminds me of 3:10 to Yuma more than it does Red Dead but...looking good...best of luck :)

david

wow I like the art and look of it.   :o ;D

It is really clear and simple as markbilly mentioned

Haggis

Cheers for the positive comments people, now i feel obligated to deliver!  ;D

mods - classic, maybe he'll meet a boy named Sue...

AdamM

Ooo eee ooo eee ooooooh.

Waaah waaaah waaaaah.

Haggis

Progress update added 09/02/11 - see first post.  ;)

ThreeOhFour

That poker playing chap instantly reminded me of the character designs from the LucasArts FPS game Outlaws - which is certainly not a bad thing!

Really nice design there.

Igor Hardy

I like all the screens - they have style.

How lengthy do you plan the game to be? 5 chapters sound like it's quite a bit.

Haggis

It certainly seems like a lot now!!

I'm nearing the end of chapter two - it has by far the most complicated bit of coding in it that i've had to do (can't foresee anything as tricky in the remaining set pieces). I might group some of the chapters together though... which won't actually reduce the length of the game  :)

While i appreciate why some people release their games in small chapters one by one, i'd rather just finish this and put it all out there in one go. Wash my hands of it!

Haggis

Progress update added 20/09/11 - see first post.

david

keep up the good work, look forward to testing/playing it  ;D

Anian

Why are there lights on the table, is this some sf or steampunk story?  ???
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Haggis

In short, no to both elements of your questions - this is very much a spaghetti western, but with the odd completely out of place item/object here and there.

Haggis

Progress update 13/05/2014 - see original post for details

Slasher

Hi Haggis,

I thought this rather amusing game bit the dust... Glad to see it is still on ;)

Good luck and I hope it gets released very soon.

Waiting................

Haggis

Update - 27/02/15

NEW Teaser trailer! Crude, jerky, freeware recorded in game footage featuring some random game play vaguely related to the story, examples of intellectually stimulating dialog, and a flash of leg... twice (what a tease)! Extra points for spotting the walk behind bug. Oh, and a great track provided by - https://soundcloud.com/william-j-lepetomane/the-forsaken and http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/471929

[embed=640,480]<object width="640" height="480"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=120742880&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=120742880&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="480"></embed></object>[/embed]

For progress update see original post.

Ibispi

Nice trailer. I'm a fan of Clint Eastwood western movies, so I can't wait to play this game when it gets released. Good luck with finishing the game.

Thegolddiger

I was impressed after I saw the Trailer.
It's gold gold  gold is all I want

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk