MAGS July: Sci-Fi (Game Making Round: Winner Announced)

Started by Dualnames, Thu 01/07/2010 00:14:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers.

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic. You may get help for the competition, as long as you end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it should prove hard to organize a big team within 30 days.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public. Modules and templates are allowed.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours)

This means that you can make a game and rush it, but don't do it to just win by default.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Topic: Sci-Fi

This month's guidelines were set by markbilly:

There isn't enough sci-fi around these days and I don't mean big spaceships and time machines. Classic sci-fi often revolves around one fictional discovery or advancement in science and tries to envisage how this would affect society.

For this month's MAGS, base your game around a discovery/technology/idea that changes the course of the human race. Obviously this can be approached in a very plot centric fashion but don't forget, a vastly (or even subtly) changed world could also enforce some very different game play rules.

Thread Rules:

1)  Comments are allowed at all times. Anyone can comment, critic and express his opinion about an entry, the MAGS, and the host's mother, without being obliged to hide it! As long as the critic isn't like "You suck", something more elaborate could be more useful because after all this is a test for all developers to see if they can really make a game within a month, therefore feedback is crucial. [/i]

2)  Participators are allowed to patch their games even while the voting but I should be informed via pm or here, and only IF the game has a serious bug that makes it crash. Due to the inability of keeping track of versions of the games, I've settled to this.

3) It would be wiser to add the game to the AGS database, so you can easily do changes to the game, while the voting is going on, without having to inform me at all.

So you can patch your game, if it crashes or if it can't be completed.

Have fun this month too!!
All games till the END OF JULY.2nd of August

Winner: tzachs

CHANGES
From the first of May, some changes will occur on the MAGS competition, hopefully for the best of developers and for the attraction of outsiders to this community.

MAGS A (January, March, May, July, September, November)

It starts on 1st and ends on 30/31st.

The winner sets up the theme of the next MAGS A
Voting and playing lasts whilst MAGS B is going on. (2 weeks each)

MAGS B (February, April, June, August, October, December)

It starts on 1st and ends on 28/29/30/31st.
The winner sets the theme of the next MAGS B.

Voting and playing lasts whilst MAGS A is going on. (2 weeks each)

The winner of this month if not deadly obvious from this post, will set the rules of September. MAGS A and MAGS B are just a way to clarify and indicate condition of the competitions.

To sum up, there will be constantly a 30 days game making month, and a 30 days voting and playing month for that, whilst on the second process another game making month of 30 days will overlap.

Summing up: Every month one new game making month round, one game voting month round.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Captain Lexington

This is an excellent topic! I'm too busy working on my regular game to do it, but I'm really excited to see what people will make.

evenwolf

"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

markbilly

Wish I could enter this myself. Too much work to do on TLG, though! ;)

straydogstrut

Very interesting theme!

I like all kinds of sci-fi, including those with all the big ships and special effects, but the thing I like about stuff like Cowboy Bebop/Firefly etc is how down to earth things are: the same societal problems exist despite the advance in technology, and the characters are not hopping on transporters or firing phasers at everything (though I like that too). Instead the technology is very low tech and gritty.

This theme's right up my street, but I won't promise an entry yet. Will see though.

Calin Leafshade

expect a poorly drawn/thought-out/animated entry from me.

I might make this one in *4* days. ooOOOooOoOO

markbilly

Wish I could enter myself (if that's even allowed) but I'm too busy trying to finish off a certain other sci-fi title I'm working on... ;)

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Wonkyth

The OROW might be attracting some of the possible entrants at the moment...
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

tzachs

Well, I'm working on a game which I want to enter both here and the TIGSource competition, I hope that's ok (I'm meeting the requirements of both comps)...

Dualnames

Crimson Wizard

I was invited by Nsmn to join making his MAGS game, but 2 weeks later he said he forgot about that  :P

Dualnames

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 22/07/2010 17:03:40
I was invited by Nsmn to join making his MAGS game, but 2 weeks later he said he forgot about that  :P

One death coming up.

Armageddon

Dualnames

Quote from: Armageddon on Sun 25/07/2010 02:25:36
So this ends on the 31st this month? :-[

This ends when all the timezones are in August the 1st.

markbilly

I'm assuming the scores of participants are just waiting until the very last minute to declare their entries? ;)

Chicky

tzachs

Dualnames

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk