Dead Silence

Started by Diath, Mon 05/07/2010 21:20:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Diath

I have lurked around this community and the forums for a long time now (around eight years) and decided to break the ice by posting my first ever finished game

DEAD SILENCE:

The game is about a Doctor turned researcher attempting to bring the dead to life. You and your Life long friend join together in attempt to complete the doctors quest.

Its a Sci-Fi game with a little bit of horror(hopefully). The game is roughly 26mb download after unzipping the file

EDIT 7/10 /2010: New links to newer game version

Game is available here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CPOX324W

or here: http://www.mediafire.com/?dgd1mdz0mto

While this is my first ever finished game, I hope its decent enough to be enjoyed!

Anian

Well hello, did you like the peep show?  ;D

You might wanna write what the game is about (3-4 sentences about the story and plot, what's the theme, genere etc.), more
people will probably download it.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

LRH

Looks neat! Downloading now. I'll be back with feedback.

EDIT:  Done! Kay, here's what I got from it.

Spoiler

A few cons, first.
Some of the spelling, grammar, etc. was off. Some I's weren't capitalized, "your" instead of "you're" in a few different places. Not a huge problem but stuff that's an easy fix.
Enough of that though.

But anyways. The situation was surreal, to say the least. It was a very odd game, but I kept playing out of sheer interest, so good job on that. You didn't overdo the cuss words, they seemed appropriate where they were. The music was pretty good as well. Overall, I'd say it's a great first game from a technically new guy. :)
[close]

Also, and I'm dying to know, how did you do the shading effects in this game? They looked really pretty neat.

Gilbert

How large is this game? Can you put a mirror hosted somewhere else? Megaupload banned many places (including here) for a while already, so I couldn't get it.

Dualnames

EDIT: The game looks good, I've downloaded and I promise to play. ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Diath

Hey guys thanks for the responses!  I edited my first post to add additional information. Do you guys have any good places to host the game if mega upload isn't doing the trick?

Oh and Domithan: While I am no artist by any means, I used Paint Deluxe 2. The program has a really awesome gradient filter that gives a cool old style look.

EDIT: Nvm I created a mediafire account and made a second link on my first post and updated it on the AGS Game page

Leon

Nice game, interesting plot. Although the ending was obvious, the story is still quite unique. Clearly you're more a storyteller than a graphics artist ;-)

Apart from the numerous typo's and the somewhat pixelhunting feeling because of the hotspot of the cursor, it's a well done game!
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Diath

Quote from: Leon on Tue 06/07/2010 20:52:18
Nice game, interesting plot. Although the ending was obvious, the story is still quite unique. Clearly you're more a storyteller than a graphics artist ;-)

Apart from the numerous typo's and the somewhat pixelhunting feeling because of the hotspot of the cursor, it's a well done game!

Yeah Graphics are not my strongest point by any means, but I figured I finally got to the point were my art wasn't making peoples eyes bleed.
Ideally I hope at some point in time I can do a collaboration with someone that is stronger in the art and animation department.

Monsieur OUXX

"It's about a Doctor tunred researcher"
Screenshot: "I was hoping you have expertise in alchemy"

Wow, that guy has many skills!  ;)

R4L

Just played it. Great game. :)

Not too hard, but challenging as well. I especially liked the dialog options and the conversations. The animations were great as well.

The story is pretty good, although as someone said, you could see the ending coming...

Still, great game.  :=

Diath

Hey guys I just went through and hopefully found all the grammar issues I had in the first version and released a newer one. All links updated  ;D

Snake

Diath, I've been meaning to post.

I liked this game. It was a bit short, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. I liked the humor in it as well. The music was very nice. Did you make the music or did you get it somewhere?

I was a little dissapointed at the end because:
Spoiler
I knew damn well that when I got back either your friend was going to be dead or you would whiteness it right after entering the room. I knew this was coming, but that wasn't the dissapointing part. I was dissapointed when that was the end of the game. I was expecting to get a jump when entering, like the zombie jumping up from the table, and so it was a little nerve racking to open the lab door. But when I did, I got nothing. I was hoping that you would have to destroy this zombie, being able to travel through the other rooms of the house and then when achieving this goal, your friend is missing. Now you have to hunt him down and kill him as well. But I got nothing of what I was thinking, heh.
[close]
But anyway, I liked the game and I can't wait to see more horror games from you that are a bit more lengthy and full of scary surprises.

And please... PLEASE do a zombie game.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Diath

Hey Thanks!

I have a friend of mine that did the music (after prodding him a bit) Also I do agree with you that the ending was a bit...well too predictable for its own good but I did what I did for sequel purposes :-).

QuoteAnd please... PLEASE do a zombie game.
As a hardcore Resident Evil fan I couldn't agree with you more. I would like to get better at scripting in AGS (such as health of main player, zombies, a primitive AI) before I attempt such a game though.

QuoteBut anyway, I liked the game and I can't wait to see more horror games from you that are a bit more lengthy and full of scary surprises.
I showed my friend that did the music a rough draft of a new game that I'm starting to design, he loved it and has started making music for it. The game is inspired by the original Alone in the Dark game and I hope it will fill that criteria  :=

Snake

Quote...inspired by the original Alone in the Dark game
I will be waiting for this :D
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk