Sculptris 3D Tool- Buggy but Neat.

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Mon 02/08/2010 09:29:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I'm just posting this for those of you who haven't heard of Sculptris and would like to do basic 3D modelling in a very hands-on fashion similar to working with modeling clay.  

For now, Sculptris is a completely free low-level modeling program that lets you directly alter mesh shapes realtime with left or right clicks of the mouse, and will add or subtract triangles from the mesh as you go.  The learning curve is rather light since the program doesn't have a lot of options, but that shouldn't stop you from making some pretty cool stuff with it as long as you can deal with some bugs (mainly stack overflows so far, though I have crashed it once by adding too many spheres).

First, here's a video showing some pretty cool stuff people have made with it already.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DNRg6pdNeE

And here's the site where you can get it.

http://www.sculptris.com/download.html

I think it might be cool to have some kind of Sculptris event in a week or two, a one-day type thing where people make something weird and post their work.  You can of course do that now, in this thread.  I'd like to see some of the stuff you can come up with :).

Buckethead

Scultris is indeed a pretty nice program. And a good alternative to Zbrush or Mudbox.

The video makes it all seem easy but you gotta have some sculpting talent to be adable to do that.

Anian

Supposedly it doesn't do sharp (well stuff like cubes) edges well, that's part of it being in development. Still nice to know there ar free alternatives. It's sitting on my hard drive waiting for me to go back home and try with a tablet. It needs brush importing, but despite all of that it is rather neat and simple/clean.

But you might wanna hurry, as we speak, Pixologic (zBrush corporation) has given a job to the author and now they're offering it for download from their serves. I'm not sure how long it's gonna stay free (it probably will, but won't be developed further).

Oh, and as you mentioned, it's easier to get into than say zBrush, I couldn't make heads or tails from that program.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Gilbert

Hmmm. Is this an adaptation of the (Smooth) Teddy technology?

I think I've played with it a bit years ago.

Edited: Just tried it. This is a different thing, but seems to be very easy to use. :D

DoorKnobHandle

Very interesting, thanks for the link. Can't download because "the servers are too busy" but will do and check it out asap.

LimpingFish

ZBrush is a really powerful tool, with a slightly ungainly UI.

Sculptris seems to be a much simplified offshoot. Looks like fun. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk