∞ bit

Started by Vince Twelve, Sun 08/08/2010 08:11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Twelve

∞ bit

Description

Travel from waystation to waystation along the unending corridor of the ∞ bit.  Fly your escape pod, run and jump, collect upgrades.  Reach infinity!

Features

-Two gameplay modes
-Puzzle Platforming
-Arcade action flight
-Upgrades to collect
-Awesome music

Download

Download ∞ bit for Windows

Download source code
(Requires at least AGS 3.2 Final 5)

How to play

There are two modes of play: Hero and Escape Pod.

===Hero===

As hero, you must run around the waystations of the Infinity Bit's cooridor collecting upgrades that will help your escape pod make it to the next waystation.

Left & Right/A & D keys: Move Hero around.

Up/W keys: Jump.

Down/S keys: Enter or Unlock a door.

Left Mouse button: Fire the gun (once you have collected it).

Move the mouse: "Bend" your shots by moving the Infinity Cooridor.

Save tiles: Stand on one to automatically save your game.  You will continue here if you die.

Gas tiles: Fill up your ship while standing on one of these.  Wait until it's full before boarding, you may need that gas!

Jump into your escape pod when you're ready to fly to the next waystation!

===Escape Pod===

Once you're in your pod, you have no defenses.  You have to avoid all obstacles.

Move the mouse: Steer the ship.  Your ships maneuverability can be upgraded.

Up & Down/W & S keys: Increase or decrease speed, respectively.  You may need to go faster to make your destination before your gas runs out.  But maneuvering will become more difficult at high speeds.

Gas: Watch your gas level.  If you run out, you can only drift a short distance before crashing.

Video

Screenshots

kaputtnik

Wow, this is fantastic! The flight sequences run really, really slow on my old 1,6 Ghz laptop using WINE on Linux (*cough*), but, surviving out of pure luck or coincidence it is playable nevertheless, and the jump&run parts run very smoothly, great work on the programming. Good luck for the competition!
I, object.

Dualnames

It's very nice but my computer just can't handle it well  :-[

I really enjoyed it though and well done!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Zyargeikunn

I loved all the demos, but the video makes me fear the final level(s).

blueskirt

Just finished it, nice game except for these couple of moments where the platforming was slightly more difficult thanks to the lag caused by having too many objects moving in the screen at the same time.

Anyone managed to unlock the locked doors in the main menu?

Vince Twelve

Yeah, that door doesn't open.  It was meant to be unlocked by some achievement in the game, but I didn't have enough time to put that in.  So for now it's just there to bug you! 

I might put it in if I go back to fix some bugs or something.

Glad somebody made it all the way through!

Snake

:o
I can't even begin to comprehend how you scripted ANY of that in AGS... it is just plain incredible.

I love everything about it that I've played so far. I have experienced ZERO slow-down as of yet, but I haven't gotten very far at all, only the first station.

The platform movement is very smooth and natural!

Vince In-fucking-credible Twelve. That is your new name.

PS
And the music is great as well!
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Vince Twelve

Quote from: Snake on Mon 09/08/2010 19:19:52
Vince In-fucking-credible Twelve. That is your new name.

That's actually my old name.  My dad gave it to me after I did a backflip into my highchair once.

I will release the source code soon, then you can check it out.  I want to make sure any bugs that might be found are out first.

tzachs

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Mon 09/08/2010 19:33:54
That's actually my old name.  My dad gave it to me after I did a backflip into my highchair once.
Oh yeah, I believe I saw that on youtube...
Playing the game (just got the gun), took me a lot of dying to get through the second level...

Wyz

Awesome game! This really adds a dimension to the platform genre, something a lot of 3d platform games fail to do ;)
I also like how it switches between a platformer and a shoot 'em up but also challenges the player with puzzles as you find the way.
Unfortunately I suck at platform game, so I don't think I will complete it  ;)

Btw, the sound effects turned out really well!
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Vince Twelve

Quote from: tzachs on Mon 09/08/2010 22:17:07
took me a lot of dying to get through the second level...

A couple people have complained about the second level.  I thought it would be too easy.  There's a way to figure out where each doors lead.  And you can use the mouse to line up the doors to figure out which one to go through.

Anyways, it shouldn't take too long to brute force your way through!

Quote from: Wyz on Mon 09/08/2010 23:43:03
Btw, the sound effects turned out really well!

Oh yeah! I found this tool sfxr that makes 8 bit sounds.  It's pretty sweet.  I just hit random until I heard a sound similar to what I was shooting for and then tweaked it.  Fast and easy!  It did all the sound. (except your awesome music of course!)

Stupot

I played an earlier demo of this... it's madness.
I suppose I should download the full version now, but I think I need to psyche myself up first. :P

Snake

LOL, Vince ;)

QuoteThis really adds a dimension to the platform genre, something a lot of 3d platform games fail to do
Yeah, when seeing it first posting in the GiP forum, it reminded me a little of Mario Clash (I think is what it was called) for the VirtualBoy... man I loved that game...

\\--EDIT--//
QuoteA couple people have complained about the second level.  I thought it would be too easy.
Not that Castle of Fire even comes close to this (even in negative numbers), but, that's what I thought when I first released it as well. I could play it myself, whip right through it and then decide to adjust everything because I thought it was too easy.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

straydogstrut

You are evil, evil, evil Mr Vince!

I love the game, it looks and sounds amazing, and there's so many clever ideas in there=)

The platforming bits are hard but I don't mind that - it reminds me of N - and the infinity gun mechanic is cool, I can see how it could make for interesting puzzles.

But why did you have to inflict those infuriating flying sections on me?! why?! You hate me, don't you? Yeah, you do, I could hear you laughing every time I got 'spaced'. Such a cruel puppet master you are, watch me dance.

I got past the second level, I think. I don't know, I died so many, many times .. I got the gun, the enhanced manoeuvrability and a speed boost, but I just kept running out of fuel in the next flying section (yeah, I didn't know that could happen, maybe I should've read the readme file).

Infinity Bit - The masochist's choice.

Vince Twelve

Haha.  It is difficult, yeah.  I know, I'm evil!  :=

One thing: when you start flying, you're always going at the lowest speed.  After getting the speed upgrades, you still have to push the up key to speed up the ship.  Look in the bottom right corner to see the speed you're currently at.

This allows you to slow down during tricky parts and speed up when the path is clear.  When you're going faster, you use less gas, so you'll have to go as fast as you can between way stations.  They're all measured out so that you have to go fast for most of the way, but you can slow down in the tricky bits and still make it!

There are some very hard ship parts yet to come!   :P  Where's the evil emoticon?  ;)

Good luck!

straydogstrut

Ah .. and there I was pushing down to try to slow down to dodge those obstacles!! Will try the kamikaze approach next time;-)

Vince Twelve

Here's the source code plus some art and map assets for anyone who might find it useful:

Download source code

(Requires at least AGS 3.2 Final 5)

saluk

Gr8 game! This is one of my favorite genres, alongside adventure games. Sort of the neomodern platformer, which is insanely hard, but just possible enough to make success always at least feel in your grasp. The pseudo 3d effect is really well done, and runs fine on my computer. (Granted, I have a quad core, but still - it's got a lot to do within ags constraints). Balance so far seems almost perfect, the only thing I would change is to make the physics just a smidge less floaty. I have to correct my jumps just a bit much for my taste.

Graphics are a trip too.

Good work!

Vince Twelve

Thanks Saluk!  This game was a learning experience for me, having never programmed a platformer before.  If I ever do one again, I'll try to tone down the "floatiness".  :)

Wyz

I think I figured out why the controls feel a bit sticky. When you hold the jump button a bit longer, you jump higher. For most platform games there is a pre-set jump value that takes action as soon as you press the jump button. Well it's not a bad thing, it just takes some time to get used to. I'd say it even adds to the whole space idea. 8)

Still playing btw ;)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk