AGS 3.2 now released!

Started by Pumaman, Mon 16/08/2010 21:01:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Well, it's been a long wait (18 months in fact) but version 3.2 of AGS is finally here!

The main change is that the audio system has been rewritten to get rid of the number-based sound and music, and replace it with a more modern, easy-to-use system based on sounds having names.

Changes since 3.1.2:

* Rewrote audio system. The old number-based sound and music are gone, replaced with new named audio clips. Added AudioClip.*, AudioChannel.*, Game.IsAudioPlaying, Game.SetAudioTypeVolume, Game.StopAudio, System.AudioChannels, System.AudioChannelCount, System.Volume, ViewFrame.LinkedAudio script commands.
* Added Game.IgnoreUserInputAfterTextTimeoutMs, Maths.Exp, Maths.Log, Maths.Log10, Maths.Cosh, Maths.Sinh, Maths.Tanh
* Added option to automatically add side borders when running 4:3 games on widescreen monitors
* The generated EXE version information is now set to your Game Name and Developer Name instead of "Adventure Game Studio" and "Chris Jones"
* Added new LEC-style template by abstauber
* Added Applies To feature to custom properties, so that you can have properties that only apply to Rooms or Characters, for example
* Added menu option to remove old Global Messages from the game, to stop them coming out in translation sources
* Added support for anti-aliased TTF fonts in all situations where they weren't previously supported.
* Added $APPDATADIR$ support to File.Open to allow you to write files to an accessible folder that is not the Save Games folder
* Added eMouseMiddleInv support to on_mouse_click
* Added editor plugin API methods IGUIController.ActivePane, IRoomController.PreSaveRoom
* Added plugin API events AGSE_PRESAVEGAME and AGSE_POSTRESTOREGAME
* Improved graphics mode detection so that the screen doesn't keep flickering when trying to start up a low-res game full screen
* Improved colour quality of mini-sprites displayed in sprite manager
* Improved the user-friendliness of some error messages, thanks to Error Reporting
* Improved editor robustness to recover if the Game.agf.user file was corrupt
* Winsetup now displays the game name in the title bar instead of "Adventure Game Studio"
* Disabled editor option to save changes whilst the game was running, since doing so  could cause sprite file corruption
* Editor property grid now displays a drop-down list instead of a text box when selecting a font or room
* Changed the pathfinder so that the character cannot get stuck if he ends up outside one of the room edges
* Removed limit on number of text parser words
* Renamed the "handle inventory clicks in script" general setting to better reflect what it does
* Removed room properties Play Music On Load, Music Volume and Save/Load Enabled since they are now obsolete
* Mouse.IsButtonDown now works with eMouseMiddle
* "Export all sprites in folder" command now exports 32-bit sprites as PNGs to prevent losing the alpha channel
* Improved error handling if you passed an int to a string argument in String.Format
* The Restart Point save file (AGSSAVE.999) is no longer deleted when you quit the game,  to fix a problem where RestartGame didn't work if you started the game by double-clicking an Enhanced Save Game file in explorer
* Disallowed accented characters like é in script names in the editor, because they wouldn't compile
* Dynamic sprite deletion warning is now only displayed on exit if Debug Mode is turned on
* Fixed sprite entry getting duplicated if you dragged a sprite to the end of the list
* Fixed crash with Hq2x and Hq3x graphics filters (3.1.2 regression)
* Fixed character/object tints and light levels in D3D not matching DX5
* Fixed TintScreen in D3D so that it looks the same as DX5
* Fixed Sierra-style speech box moving if the room was scrolled while it was displayed
* Fixed error running game and problems with save games if there were unicode characters in the folder path
* Fixed GUI controls not updating properly if the control moved under the mouse, but the mouse didn't move
* Fixed theora video being permanently muted after you played one video with muted audio
* Fixed Dynamic Sprites causing memory corruption if a mouse cursor was set to sprite 0
* Fixed Compress Sprites setting not taking effect until you next edited some sprites
* Fixed GUI AdditiveOpacity mode not working properly if you tried to have a non-alpha sprite on an alpha GUI
* Fixed light levels >100% not working with Direct3D driver
* Fixed Object.MergeIntoBackground not working with Direct3D driver
* Fixed IsKeyPressed not working with the following keys: [ ]  ; ' , . /
* Fixed struct member functions with more than 9 parameters giving run-time error
* Fixed File commands looking in the wrong directory if you launched the game by double-clicking a save game in explorer
* Fixed SetBackgroundFrame in Player Enters Screen event causing old frame to flash up briefly with D3D driver
* Fixed Make Default Language command crashing if two different source lines mapped to the same translated line
* Fixed run-time error if you returned a string from a function that was a member of a local dynamic array
* Fixed sprite cache corruption if you had a single sprite larger than 20 MB
* Fixed Room.GetDrawingSurfaceForBackground and Character.PlaceOnWalkableArea to give error message instead of crash if you called them from game_start
* Fixed GUI label text not being anti-aliased if there was a background image but the BGColor was set to 0
* Fixed editor crash creating new game if your Windows username had unicode characters in it
* Fixed Views tree collapsing after renaming or drag-dropping a view
* Fixed editor crash on startup if you made the editor window very small before closing it down last time
* Fixed editor crash if you set an object's image to -1
* Fixed character gliding if he bumped into another solid character and the character's MovementLinkedToAnimation property was false
* Fixed DynamicSprite.Rotate cropping 1 pixel off the left side when rotating an image with an odd width/height
* Fixed ShakeScreenBackground not clearing letterbox borders properly if you switched from a large to a small shake
* Fixed "Internal compiler error: table overflow" if there were a lot of imported functions/variables
* Fixed when importing an 8-bit image, if there was another palette slot in the image with the same colour as the transparent slot it got changed to black
* Fixed Game.SpriteWidth/SpriteHeight returning the size of the blue cup instead of 0 if you supplied an invalid sprite number
* Fixed script editor issue if you typed some text, switched to another tab, then came back and did Undo
* Fixed autocomplete editor crash if there was a line break inside an array indexer
* Fixed compiler crash if a dialog script just had a @ on a line on its own
* Fixed editor crash if you tried to use a non-icon file as TEMPLATE.ICO
* Fixed sprite import window crash if you right-clicked in the second stage of tiled import
* Fixed mouse cursor being drawn in dialog options in DX5 mode even when Mouse.Visible was set to false
* Fixed no line number provided when DynamicSprite.CreateFromDrawingSurface threw an error
* Fixed script editor crash if you saved the script while the final function was missing its closing brace
* Fixed the editor Preferences window only allowing you to type 5 characters in if you wanted to manually enter a path for the New Game Directory or Import Directory
* Fixed "Close all other tabs" crashing if a room editor with unsaved changes was one of the other tabs
* Fixed changing a walk-behind baseline not marking the room as modified
* Fixed editor crash XmlException: An error occurred while parsing EntityName.
* Fixed compilation errors if you named a character with only numeric digits, eg "c500"

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/AGS-3.2.exe

(if you were using the betas, this is the same release as 3.2 Final 5).

If no major issues are reported in the next week or so, I'll create the RAR release and update the website.

Chrille

I love the new AGS, up until last fall I hadn't used AGS since ca 2004. Thanks for all the work you've put into AGS, CJ.
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

bicilotti

Hail to the CJ! I don't use betas, so there's a lot for me here to joy!

We're missing a __filltheblank___ edition, aren't we? ;)

xenogia

Cheers CJ.  Finally good to see you release a final version :)

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Virgil

Calin Leafshade

I don't mean to piss on anyone's strawberries but I may have a slight bug:

when an audioclip is played the volume doesnt seem to be set correctly if you set it immediately after the play command.

I imagine this is because the audioclip is actually played and initialised at the start of the next game loop.

so the following code doesnt seem to work as expected:

Code: ags

AudioChannel *chan = aSound1.Play();
chan.Volume = 50;

ThreeOhFour

I've been using it for a while in beta with no problems, but it is still good to see the version released. Congratulations, CJ, and thanks!

cat

Congratulations on getting this finally finished! Thanks for your effort!

Dualnames

* Rewrote audio system. The old number-based sound and music are gone, replaced with new named audio clips. Added AudioClip.*, AudioChannel.*, Game.IsAudioPlaying, Game.SetAudioTypeVolume, Game.StopAudio, System.AudioChannels, System.AudioChannelCount, System.Volume, ViewFrame.LinkedAudio script commands.
* Added option to automatically add side borders when running 4:3 games on widescreen monitors
* Added support for anti-aliased TTF fonts in all situations where they weren't previously supported.
* Added $APPDATADIR$ support to File.Open to allow you to write files to an accessible folder that is not the Save Games folder
* Fixed DynamicSprite.Rotate cropping 1 pixel off the left side when rotating an image with an odd width/height
* Fixed the editor Preferences window only allowing you to type 5 characters in if you wanted to manually enter a path for the New Game Directory or Import Directory

I can't be thankful enough for those! :P
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ryan Timothy B

Quote* Added support for anti-aliased TTF fonts in all situations where they weren't previously supported.
Does this mean that AA fonts now work with lucasarts style speech?

Dave Gilbert

Swank!  I love it when a new project coincides with a new official version of AGS.  Downloading...

Atelier

First, thank you CJ. The new audio controls (and everything else) are excellent.

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 16/08/2010 21:01:46
* The generated EXE version information is now set to your Game Name and Developer Name instead of "Adventure Game Studio" and "Chris Jones"

On the general settings, under 'Windows Vista Game Explorer', there isn't a box to type in developer name anymore. Is this deliberate or me being stupid?

Pumaman

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Tue 17/08/2010 08:01:04
I don't mean to piss on anyone's strawberries but I may have a slight bug:

when an audioclip is played the volume doesnt seem to be set correctly if you set it immediately after the play command.
I imagine this is because the audioclip is actually played and initialised at the start of the next game loop.
so the following code doesnt seem to work as expected:

Code: ags

AudioChannel *chan = aSound1.Play();
chan.Volume = 50;

This should work fine, what was the initial volume of the channel before you changed it to 50?

QuoteDoes this mean that AA fonts now work with lucasarts style speech?

They should do, yes.

QuoteOn the general settings, under 'Windows Vista Game Explorer', there isn't a box to type in developer name anymore. Is this deliberate or me being stupid?

It has moved from the 'Vista Game Explorer' section to the main 'Setup' section at the top, since it is no longer solely used by the game explorer.

Calin Leafshade

The initial volume would be whatever the default setting is for the audiotype (with the clip set to -1)

But i fiddled with this and it doesnt seem to make any difference. Audiochannel volumes refuse to be set just after playing the clip.

Pumaman

I've tried this but it works fine for me.

What type of audio file are you using?

Calin Leafshade

oggs or mp3s.. doesnt seem to make a difference.

I shall test further

Pumaman

Can you provide an example of the problem?

Ghost

Runs nice and smooth here- and I have completely missed out on ALL the betas, so I had to test-drive a lot ;)
Superb work, my favourites are the AA TTF and the new music/sound management- sooooo much easier to handle!
Cake for you, CJ!

xerca

I really wonder why everyone always call you CJ? The only CJ I know is the one in GTA San Andreas...

By the way; I downloaded the program, installed it and uninstalled the old one. Then I tried opening one of my game projects and it gave an error because of some names like "view names" included letters like "ö, ğ, ı, ü, ç", etc. (I used that characters in names with no problems with the old version.) It didn't even give me a chance to change the names so I had to download ags 3.1 which I uninstalled 2 minutes ago... I installed it and changed these names in my games. There were hundreds of them so that I was becoming really mad because of clicking, checking for little letters in lots of names and changing them.

I can now finI really wonder why everyone always call you CJ? The only CJ I know is the one in GTA San Andreas...

By the way; I downloaded the program, installed it and uninstalled the old one. Then I tried opening one of my game projects and it gave an error because of some names like "view names" included letters like "ö, ğ, ı, ü, ç", etc. (I used that characters in names with no problems with the old version.) It didn't even give me a chance to change the names so I had to download ags 3.1 which I uninstalled 2 minutes ago... I installed it and changed these names in my games. There were hundreds of them so that I was becoming really mad because of clicking, checking for little letters in lots of names and changing them.

I can now finally try the new AGS.

edit: I deleted a music that I used for a room before and I imported another one to use. but as it writes at the first message, there is no room music thing anymore. So I called it from the after fade-in script. But now it says "Unable to find aMusic1 which was set as tihs room's start music".
How can it be set? There is no setting as room start music! So I can't change it either.

While writing this I tried again and it worked...

edit2: It works yes... But when I say rebuild all files, the same error occurs again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk