AGS 3.2 now released!

Started by Pumaman, Mon 16/08/2010 21:01:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbert

Quote from: xerca on Sat 04/09/2010 22:24:56
I really wonder why everyone always call you CJ?

Awwww. Well...
Click his profile and see his log-in handle (not his nick) and...
Spoiler
CJ is the initial to his real name. You SHOULD have known this as you'll see it many times in the programme itself.
[close]
:P

Dualnames

Gilbet, don't lie! ;)

CJ is an incantation of Satan. If we all type it more than 1.000.000 times, HE will come.

That's what m0ds told me. And that is I believe the truth.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

By the way; I downloaded the program, installed it and uninstalled the old one. Then I tried opening one of my game projects and it gave an error because of some names like "view names" included letters like "ö, ğ, ı, ü, ç", etc. (I used that characters in names with no problems with the old version.) It didn't even give me a chance to change the names so I had to download ags 3.1 which I uninstalled 2 minutes ago... I installed it and changed these names in my games. There were hundreds of them so that I was becoming really mad because of clicking, checking for little letters in lots of names and changing them.

Hmm, these were working ok for you in 3.1.2? The reason this restriction was added to 3.2 was because people were having problems where the game wouldn't compile properly in that scenario.

Quoteedit: I deleted a music that I used for a room before and I imported another one to use. but as it writes at the first message, there is no room music thing anymore. So I called it from the after fade-in script. But now it says "Unable to find aMusic1 which was set as tihs room's start music".
How can it be set? There is no setting as room start music! So I can't change it either.

The music file must be there when you open the room for the first time in 3.2. So, put the Music1 file back, then do a Rebuild All Files. The editor will then automatically add a "aMusic1.Play()" line of script to the room script, which you can then remove/change/etc afterwards and you won't get the error any more.

This is because the Room Start Music setting has been removed, and now you can just add a line of script to do it instead.

xerca

Quote from: Gilbet V7000a on Sun 05/09/2010 10:27:32
I really wonder why everyone always call you CJ?

Awwww. Well...
Click his profile and see his log-in handle (not his nick) and...
Spoiler
CJ is the initial to his real name. You SHOULD have known this as you'll see it many times in the programme itself.
[close]
:P

I had looked at his profile before and didn't see that. Even after you said this it took a few minutes for me to see that "CJ"... I feel stupid.

But this actually explains everything :):
Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 05/09/2010 13:28:34
Gilbet, don't lie! ;)

CJ is an incantation of Satan. If we all type it more than 1.000.000 times, HE will come.

That's what m0ds told me. And that is I believe the truth.

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 05/09/2010 14:39:02
By the way; I downloaded the program, installed it and uninstalled the old one. Then I tried opening one of my game projects and it gave an error because of some names like "view names" included letters like "ö, ğ, ı, ü, ç", etc. (I used that characters in names with no problems with the old version.) It didn't even give me a chance to change the names so I had to download ags 3.1 which I uninstalled 2 minutes ago... I installed it and changed these names in my games. There were hundreds of them so that I was becoming really mad because of clicking, checking for little letters in lots of names and changing them.

Hmm, these were working ok for you in 3.1.2? The reason this restriction was added to 3.2 was because people were having problems where the game wouldn't compile properly in that scenario.

Quoteedit: I deleted a music that I used for a room before and I imported another one to use. but as it writes at the first message, there is no room music thing anymore. So I called it from the after fade-in script. But now it says "Unable to find aMusic1 which was set as tihs room's start music".
How can it be set? There is no setting as room start music! So I can't change it either.

The music file must be there when you open the room for the first time in 3.2. So, put the Music1 file back, then do a Rebuild All Files. The editor will then automatically add a "aMusic1.Play()" line of script to the room script, which you can then remove/change/etc afterwards and you won't get the error any more.

This is because the Room Start Music setting has been removed, and now you can just add a line of script to do it instead.

Yes I made three games using them. And thank you for your help with music.. CJ.

JoelCBarker

I think one of the changes that came with the new one was that he disallowed accented letters because they don't compile. As for Pumaman, many years ago I had the good fortune of watching Mystery Science Theater 3,000 have a great time with the movie, Pumaman!

cat

I had a crash again  :'(

I posted already here but it was probably overlooked.

It happens sometimes when I click the exit button of the game when started from within the editor. Does noone else have this problem?

Ghostlady

Help.  I've been working on this game for about 2 - 3 years, so it is pretty big by now.  I've been using the latest version of AGS, prior to this new release.  Lately, I've been getting errors about memory and roomload messages when I try to open a room in the editor.  I have to recreate the room.  A restore of the room does not work.  This has happened about 5 times now.  I am getting worried.  I thought I would try to pull it into this new version but it seems the room still has problems.  I've listed the errors with the new version and the one before that.  How can I get around this problem.  I would hate for my whole game to get corrupted.

Error: LoadRoom: unknown block type 0 encountered in 'room14.crm'
Version: AGS 3.2.0.103

AGS.Types.AGSEditorException: LoadRoom: unknown block type 0 encountered in 'room14.crm'
   at ThrowManagedException(SByte* message)
   at load_room_file(SByte* )
   at load_crm_file(UnloadedRoom roomToLoad)
   at AGS.Native.NativeMethods.LoadRoomFile(UnloadedRoom roomToLoad)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.LoadNewRoomIntoMemory(UnloadedRoom newRoom, CompileMessages errors)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.LoadDifferentRoom(UnloadedRoom newRoom)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.LoadRoom(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.ProcessClickOnNode(String nodeID, MouseButtons button)
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.projectTree_NodeMouseDoubleClick(Object sender, TreeNodeMouseClickEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnNodeMouseDoubleClick(TreeNodeMouseClickEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Error: LoadRoom: unknown block type 0 encountered in 'room14.crm'
Version: AGS 3.1.2.82

AGS.Types.AGSEditorException: LoadRoom: unknown block type 0 encountered in 'room14.crm'
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.LoadNewRoomIntoMemory(UnloadedRoom newRoom, CompileMessages errors)
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.ProcessClickOnNode(String nodeID, MouseButtons button)
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.projectTree_NodeMouseDoubleClick(Object sender, TreeNodeMouseClickEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnNodeMouseDoubleClick(TreeNodeMouseClickEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
My Games:

Hauntings Of Mystery Manor
Intrigue At Oakhaven Plantation
Haunting at Cliffhouse

Ghostlady

Thinking about this, I decided to delete the rooms that 3.2 is complaining about - ended up to be 5 rooms that must have been corrupted from version 3.1.2.  I rebuilt all the files after that, now in 3.2, and that was successful.  When I tried to "run" the game, I get this error message:

Illegal exception
---------------------------
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004129F1 ; program pointer is +373, ACI version 3.20.1110, gtags (12,0)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   
My Games:

Haunting at Cliffhouse

Ghostlady

I went back to rebuild the files again and this time it wouldn't work (the first time it did).  Got to room 195 out of about 220 and then got this error message:

Error: LoadRoom: unexpected end of file while loading room
Version: AGS 3.2.0.103

AGS.Types.AGSEditorException: LoadRoom: unexpected end of file while loading room
My Games:

Haunting at Cliffhouse

SSH

Sslaxx

Ummm, you say 3.2 has been released but the main site's frontpage still says 3.1.2 and it's only 3.1.2 available for download, not 3.2...
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Gilbert

That's because it's not officially officially released, as we don't have the RAR non-installer version yet.

GarageGothic

Is there any special reason why the release candidates come as installer EXEs and the RAR file is released later? Would seem to make more sense the other way around - at the moment I have RC1 to 3 as well as the final version in my start menu that I have to uninstall to get rid of. Not a big deal, just seems odd. Is it to make sure that the installer has also been tested?

xerca

Quote from: SSH on Fri 10/09/2010 06:52:39
Quote from: xerca on Tue 07/09/2010 12:13:15
Yes I made three games using them. And thank you for your help with music.. CJ.

For further reading: http://americangirlscouts.org/agswiki/Chris_Jones
http://americangirlscouts.org/agswiki/Quentin
http://americangirlscouts.org/agswiki/Onion_Rings

Chris Jones, yeah. This name is really familiar. I knew this name. I think I'm just bad with abbreviations...

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I agree 100% with GarageGothic.  It's strange to have an installer for a release candidate and then offer up a rar later on when it's final, since most people (myself included) aren't going to want to install and uninstall each rc build.  A non-installer version is ideal anyway since ags functions as a portable program regardless.

Gilbert

I really dislike this too, as Installers are undoubtedly craps.

However, as far as I remember CJ once mentioned something like the main package had been shifted to the Installer version, with the portable version an alternate choice (just too lazy to dig this up for confirmation). This was to serve the increasing number of users with never O/Ses or something like that (well, as I never used these new O/Ses I never understood why), and so when a version has reached a certain state (somewhere during late Beta or Release Candidates) he prefers to release the thing as an Installer so people can test whether it actually works.

While I personally don't like it this way (and don't understand it either) I think CJ has enough reasons to make this decision, so let's just settle on it.

Pumaman

QuoteI had a crash again 

I posted already here but it was probably overlooked.

It happens sometimes when I click the exit button of the game when started from within the editor. Does noone else have this problem?

When this freeze-up happens, can you still see the game window, or does that disappear but the editor still won't respond? Has it only started happening with 3.2, or did you get this problem with 3.1.2 as well?

Has anyone else had this problem?

QuoteHelp.  I've been working on this game for about 2 - 3 years, so it is pretty big by now.  I've been using the latest version of AGS, prior to this new release.  Lately, I've been getting errors about memory and roomload messages when I try to open a room in the editor.

Did you get any error messages the last time you saved the room when it became corrupt?

QuoteLoadRoom: unknown block type 0 encountered in 'room14.crm'
LoadRoom: unexpected end of file while loading room

These errors both indicate that the room file is corrupt. You should have had some sort of error saving the room before this...

Is your game on your hard drive, or is it on some sort of USB stick? Having the files on a USB stick is the only time I've heard of the data not getting written properly.

QuoteIs there any special reason why the release candidates come as installer EXEs and the RAR file is released later?

Beta versions come in a zip file only. The RC releases come in an EXE to test the installer. In theory there should only be one or two RC releases before the release becomes final -- though in practice, it never turns out that way!

QuoteUmmm, you say 3.2 has been released but the main site's frontpage still says 3.1.2 and it's only 3.1.2 available for download, not 3.2...

I'm waiting for Calin to confirm whether there is a problem with the audio in 3.2; although time has passed now, and as the other issues reported in this thread also affect the previous version, I don't think there's anything outstanding now that should stop 3.2 from becoming an official release.

cianty

I was too lazy to post this before but I am having serious trouble with the audio.

It simply doesn't play after loading a game.

If I had a track playing (repeat), save and then load, the music comes but it ends. I am not sure wheter it simply doesn't repeat (though it should) or if it stops otherwise. Anyways, I do have problems with the audio. :)

Or rather:  :(

I didn't have these problems before (=previous AGS version), but since I rewrote all the code for playing music that is of little help.

EDIT: It does work for some music, but not for all. I will have to look further into this to make sure that this is not related to my programming incapabilities... ::)

EDIT 2: Alright. I have narrowed down the problem to this: mp3s repeat after loading (as they should) and wav files do not. Instead wav files are loaded (properly) but play to the end and then do not repeat. Weird...
ca. 70% completed

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

One thing:

check to see if you aren't loading in your waves with an inherited no-loop property.

cianty

This is the problem:

The file in wav did not repeat.

Then I exported the file to mp3.

I tripple checked both properties. They are explicitly repeated.

I start the game. Play. Load. Then mp3, would load and play, wav would just end.
ca. 70% completed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk