AGS 3.2 now released!

Started by Pumaman, Mon 16/08/2010 21:01:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 19/09/2010 19:56:20
I'm waiting for Calin to confirm whether there is a problem with the audio in 3.2; although time has passed now, and as the other issues reported in this thread also affect the previous version, I don't think there's anything outstanding now that should stop 3.2 from becoming an official release.

Sorry, I'll try and confirm the bug today.

EDIT:

Ok i've isolated the problem.

If an audio type has a fade defined, the fade will override any scripting commands.

so if a music type is set to FastFade with a default volume of 40:

Code: ags

AudioChannel *chan = aSound1.Play();
chan.Volume = 10;

The engine will set the volume to 10 but then fade it up to 40.

This is not really a bug but perhaps there should be someway to override the fade.

subspark

BUG? If two or more animating object's baselines is set to a variance smaller than 4 pixels, the animation of all objects behind the closest one one will pause indefinitely.

Cheers,
Sparky.

skuttleman

The System.Volume property does not effect the MIDI file I have playing as music, but it does effect the ambient sound playing. Is there some trick to making sure that no audio files or audio types remain uneffected by setting the System.Volume property?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

EXPLODE.

This happens when importing guis from previous ags versions (including the immediately previous RC) and trying to make them visible.  It results in an insta-crash even with a blank gui (tested).  I tried manually cloning the guis that were crashing in the same game and they open fine with all the same functionality and graphics of the imported ones.  Dave has confirmed that he has run into this issue as well.

My guess is when the guis are exported, their names are set to reference their creation ID position, and when imported into a new game there may not be the same number of guis or same order and therefore the ID is not recognized properly and does a crash.  This is the only explanation I can think of, anyway.

tzachs

The new audio system is really cool!
However, I didn't find any way to export the audio files.
Is there such a way?
As a workaround I copied the files directly from the AudioCache folder, but I don't think that I can rely on that...

Ghostlady

I think I figured out what was causing the rooms to get corrupted.  I use Carbonite to backup all my files and I have it set on automatic so that whenever it detects a file change, it goes and copies the file to the server.  When I put the Carbonite on pause, no more corrupt files.  There must of been some conflict when AGS was saving the file and Carbonite was trying to upload it. I was getting really frustrated because room after room was getting corrupted.  I wanted to post this as a warning to other people if they use Carbonite. 

I'll try importing the game again into the new AGS 3.2 this weekend and see how it goes, now that I have all the corrupt files resolved.
My Games:

Hauntings Of Mystery Manor
Intrigue At Oakhaven Plantation
Haunting at Cliffhouse

Pumaman

QuoteI start the game. Play. Load. Then mp3, would load and play, wav would just end.

Interesting, I'll see if I can reproduce this.

QuoteOk i've isolated the problem.
If an audio type has a fade defined, the fade will override any scripting commands.

Ah, I see what you mean. It should probably cancel the fade if you manually set the Volume of an audio channel while it is fading.

QuoteIf two or more animating object's baselines is set to a variance smaller than 4 pixels, the animation of all objects behind the closest one one will pause indefinitely.

Can you provide an example? It's more likely to be some sort of scripting bug.

QuoteThe System.Volume property does not effect the MIDI file I have playing as music, but it does effect the ambient sound playing. Is there some trick to making sure that no audio files or audio types remain uneffected by setting the System.Volume property?

Interesting, it should do. I'll look into it.

QuoteThis happens when importing guis from previous ags versions (including the immediately previous RC) and trying to make them visible.  It results in an insta-crash even with a blank gui (tested).  I tried manually cloning the guis that were crashing in the same game and they open fine with all the same functionality and graphics of the imported ones.  Dave has confirmed that he has run into this issue as well.

Hmm thanks for the report, I'll look into it.

QuoteI think I figured out what was causing the rooms to get corrupted.  I use Carbonite to backup all my files and I have it set on automatic so that whenever it detects a file change, it goes and copies the file to the server.  When I put the Carbonite on pause, no more corrupt files.  There must of been some conflict when AGS was saving the file and Carbonite was trying to upload it. I was getting really frustrated because room after room was getting corrupted.

Glad you found the problem, and glad it wasn't an AGS bug :)

Khris

Looks like there's a minor error in GetWalkableAreaAt()'s manual entry.

The command seems to require room, not screen coordinates.

EDIT:
Oh my, I even actually deliberately set the Viewport to 0,0 during my tests ;D
Somehow then, the fact that the coordinates can be greater than the screen's dimensions led me to that obviously unwarranted conclusion.
Sorry for wasting time.

Pumaman

Hmm, I've checked the code and it does definitely seem to expect screen co-ordinates. Could the problem in that other thread have been due to something else?

goodohman

Hello and thank you CJ Puma for creating such a wonderfully amazing thing!

I have some remarks re v3.2, some are stuff which I already noticed in 3.1.2 and some are new stuff that I've seen only in 3.2

3.1.2/3.2:

1. Room edit must be opened at least once for its classes (hotspots, objects, etc...) to appear in script completion
2. New rooms above 300 default back to 300 and have to be changed in their properties
3. Room descriptions not saved with templates (bug or feature?)
4. Continuous scaling is not always predictable in regards to walkable area, for e.g. a |y| shaped walkable area spanning from the bottom to the middle of the room, requires a minimum of 10% to be noticed, while in reality only a 75% is required.
5. No consistency when talking/interacting with hotspots - some will walk to automatically, some not. What's the logic?

3.2:

1. Property window stays with old values even if corresponding tree item is deleted
2. if the document pane is not in a "dirty state", then a double click at the output window on an error with a line number reference, will crash the editor (mostly if fast enough, and sometimes in regular speed).
3. Optional sound parameter cannot be passed now :(

..and some wishful thinking:

1. ability to access room instances by pointer (and why not?)
2. automatically group type-based scripts (c# collapsing tree or vb separator line style)
3. allow script (programmable code) access to hotsports/objects/walkables/room properties
4. show description on room tabs besides their number
5. make the same transition for room as was done for audio?!
6. update through intermediary pointer (not only as a function parameter)

Thank you very much!
Be well and happy :)

Le Woltaire

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sat 02/10/2010 14:44:52
EXPLODE.

This happens when importing guis from previous ags versions (including the immediately previous RC) and trying to make them visible.  It results in an insta-crash even with a blank gui (tested).  I tried manually cloning the guis that were crashing in the same game and they open fine with all the same functionality and graphics of the imported ones.  Dave has confirmed that he has run into this issue as well.

My guess is when the guis are exported, their names are set to reference their creation ID position, and when imported into a new game there may not be the same number of guis or same order and therefore the ID is not recognized properly and does a crash.  This is the only explanation I can think of, anyway.

I just tried to update and run into something similar aswell.
however I tried to clone my GUIs manually and it didn't work for me.
Do I have to do this in a specific way?

When I compile and start the game i get:

Illegal exception
---------------------------
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004129F1 ; program pointer is +373, ACI version 3.20.1110, gtags (3,0)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)"

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

By cloning manually I mean literally redoing them from scratch using the bad ones as a reference and then deleting the bad ones.  That was my workaround, anyway.

Le Woltaire

Yes, I did that exactly.
I deleted all the old ones, then remade them completely from scratch.
But it didn't work for me...

In any case there is a difference in the errorcode isn't it?

In your case:
EIP = 0x00440FB7 ; program pointer is 379, ACI version 3.20.1110, gtags (692,0)

In my case:
EIP = 0x004129F1 ; program pointer is +373, ACI version 3.20.1110, gtags (3,0)

I am not really a programmer so I don't know if this is a difference...

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You may still have a gui showing up that you missed.  Bear in mind, my game crashed when any of the imported guis were made visible.  If they were disabled at runtime I don't think they crashed the game.  Have you tried disabling them all and running it?  Also, you might check general properties to see which gui number is being used for dialogs (if any) and changing that to default temporarily.

That's about all I've got for you, buddy.  The error EXCEPTION is the same so it should be the same problem occurring at a different point in memory.

Le Woltaire

I just managed to solve the problem.
It was indeed GUI related as you described.

But I didn't have to remake the GUIs at all in the end.
It simply was the case that in some of the GUIs the background image was set to -1.

When I set it to 0 the game started up, but the GUIs didn't show up, instead of them I saw the blue cup at the side of the GUIs.
Then I changed the background image to 6 (which was a transparent single pixel sprite) and it works now...

Maybe that helps to solve the problem...

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I don't think I had that issue.  The gui backgrounds showed up fine for me, or did your images show up but have the wrong numbers listed for them?

Le Woltaire

After importing the game, the GUIs with a background were displayed right.

Those without background caused the crashes or were displayed wrong.
I added a transparent backgound sprite to them and it was solved...

Kaelem Gaen

Wow, I'm behind, is there a reason the main site still says  3.1.2 SP 1  for "current version"
~ Chaos, panic, disorder...  My work is done here. ~

Gilbert

Not many reasons, but I think that there're still a few rough ends that people have reported recently which aren't fixed yet. Also, it seems that CJ is quite busy ATM to work on it.

If you check the first post, V3.2 is not considered "officially officially" released yet, and so the non-installer RAR version is still absent.

Kaelem Gaen

Ah okay, thanks for the answer.  I read the first post I must have just missed that bottom part.
~ Chaos, panic, disorder...  My work is done here. ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk