AGS 3.2 now released!

Started by Pumaman, Mon 16/08/2010 21:01:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Le Woltaire- I sent you a message about this but my latest editor release corrects the -1 background image bug from the editor.

Crimson Wizard

I wish to ask a question: what is the latest "official" AGS release and where can I download it? I could miss something because I have not visited forums for about half of year.
Currently, download link on AGS homepage directs to AGS 3.1.2 SP1, but there's 3.2 version available too from this forum thread.  :-\ Was there actual non-beta release of 3.2, or any futher version?

Also, I heard that AGS is now partially open source... does this mean there will be several version threads now developed by different people?

hedgefield

The latest release by CJ is the 3.2 version that you can download from the first post in this thread. After that CJ made the engine partially opensource because he didn't have enough time to work on it anymore, and I believe a handful of people are building their own versions of AGS now, upgrading things like the room editor and such.

Pumaman

Quote from: Le Woltaire on Wed 24/11/2010 15:46:06
I just managed to solve the problem.
It was indeed GUI related as you described.

But I didn't have to remake the GUIs at all in the end.
It simply was the case that in some of the GUIs the background image was set to -1.

When I set it to 0 the game started up, but the GUIs didn't show up, instead of them I saw the blue cup at the side of the GUIs.
Then I changed the background image to 6 (which was a transparent single pixel sprite) and it works now...

Maybe that helps to solve the problem...

I can't reproduce this, do you have a sample GUF file that I could import to reproduce the problem?

limeTree

Thanks for the new release! I was really looking forward to it! Cheers!

Pumaman

I have uploaded a patch here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/acwin.zip

which should fix the crash with GUIs with no background image.
Can one of you with the problem please test with this patch and see if it is fixed?

TheJBurger

Chris,

I installed the patch.

Whenever I run the game I get a security warning that the publisher could not be verified. If I click OK, the game runs as normal. If I click CANCEL I get this error:

Code: ags

Error: The operation was canceled by the user
Version: AGS 3.2.0.103

System.Exception: The operation was canceled by the user ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The operation was canceled by the user
   at AGS.Editor.Tasks.RunEXEFile(String exeName, String parameter, Boolean raiseEventOnExit)
   at AGS.Editor.Tasks.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   at AGS.Editor.InteractiveTasks.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at AGS.Editor.InteractiveTasks.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.GUIController._mainForm_OnMenuClick(String menuItemID)
   at AGS.Editor.MainMenuManager.MenuEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.ProcessCmdKey(Message& m, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripManager.ProcessShortcut(Message& m, Keys shortcut)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripManager.ProcessCmdKey(Message& m, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(Message& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(Control target, Message& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)

barefoot

Hi

when I import music into 3.2 an error states that the file is being used by another process.. any ideas?

cheers

barefoot
I May Not Be Perfect but I Have A Big Heart ..

Calin Leafshade

Does it do it for all music or just that file?

barefoot

Hi Calin

Strange... i made sure music file was in AudioCache folder...

Anyhow, I shut the game down and restarted... opened it up again and played the game... music now plays....

Not sure why????

Best idea ever to use file names rather than 1 2 3 etc...

Bit weird.. I have just started using 3.2 so i will experiment some more.

barefoot

barefoot

Hi

It seems to import ok now...  maybe just a first time opening bug.. not sure?

anyhow... will try Sound and Ambient next...

Good so far CJ

** had to restart AGS for another music clip..

barefoot

Calin Leafshade

thats the reason, you dont *store* your music files in the AudioCache folder

That folder is for the internal workings of AGS, thats where is caches the file from their original location.

load your music files from elsewhere

T-Pr

Finally , i really want to try the new audio system.

Pumaman

Quote from: TheJBurger on Sun 09/01/2011 07:14:47
Whenever I run the game I get a security warning that the publisher could not be verified. If I click OK, the game runs as normal. If I click CANCEL I get this error:

This is probably because Windows remembers that you downloaded it from the internet.
You should be able to right-click on the ACWIN.EXE, do Properties, and then there should be an Unblock button to stop it doing this.

Strange... i made sure music file was in AudioCache folder...

Anyhow, I shut the game down and restarted... opened it up again and played the game... music now plays....

As Calin says, do NOT put your music in the AudioCache folder. AGS will copy it there automatically when you import it, you should never put files in the AudioCache folder yourself.

monkey0506

To prevent this confusion, would it be a viable option for AGS to simply make the AudioCache folder a hidden folder? The more tech-savvy users likely have hidden folders viewable..and for users who aren't as inclined, it might help save them the time of making this mistake.

Pumaman

Interesting idea, I'm not sure about this. It might be good to have it as a hidden folder, but that could cause other issues with people not backing it up or wondering why their game folder was so large in size when they couldn't see any audio files.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I suppose an alternative would be to allow the editor to scan the audicache folder and auto-import any files placed there, provided they are of a compatible format (or remove any that have been deleted).  An option could be added to the audio section of the editor just for this purpose.  The upsides would be that people could now toss their audio directly into the folder and load it in en masse rather than load the files separately, and this would eliminate potential errors and misunderstandings particularly from users of the legacy ags versions that allowed the direct copy of sound and music into folders.  This also wouldn't affect the basic operation of importing the files individually as long as the audiocache did a quick refresh between compiles.  The only real consideration would be requiring two folders inside of audiocache, one for music and one for sounds, so the editor would be able to discern them.

WHAT SAY YOU?

subspark

Interesting, but I wouldn't want AGS deleting anything without considerable warning. AGS's AudioCache folder has in fact saved us on many occasions where source files went missing.

Still a good suggestion, but I also would like AGS to handle resources from locations external to the project folder. We have a huge pool of final game assets that are created from a huge library of commercial data. I would like to see AGS handle music, speech and sound from a directory of choice, rather than force a double-up of game media.

Cheers,
Sparky.

Pumaman

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 13/01/2011 06:45:27
I suppose an alternative would be to allow the editor to scan the audicache folder and auto-import any files placed there, provided they are of a compatible format

Thinking about this some more, it's probably just best left alone. There probably won't be many people who make this mistake, and if they do they can be pointed in the correct direction. It's probably not worth making major changes to the way the audio import works when this may just be an isolated misunderstanding.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk